• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

100 days still no license

Fiver05

I'm in the same boat...sent my application in mid-April! The delay is because of a misdemeanor charge from 33 YEARS AGO! The charge was expunged from my record, and I have no paperwork to send in. Here's the reply I got this week from my latest email:

It is impossible to predict what the outcome will be and due to the number of applications waiting for research it could still be awhile. The files placed in research are on a “first in, first out” basis and there are quite a number of files needing research that are older than yours. Please know that we are working hard to complete all of these files. Please give us at least 4 to 6 weeks and if you have not heard anything by then, feel free to give an email or call.

I'm about to give up.

docachna

OSBI has 90 days to act - one way or the other

The OSBI is required to either approve or deny your license within 90 days from when they receive the application material from the Sheriff (21 O.S. 1290-12(A)(12)). If you don't want to call OSBI immediately, you can estimate that date if the Sheriff will tell you when they sent it.

If you're getting up around 90 days from when you submitted it to the Sheriff, and haven't heard anything, or if you know for a fact that OSBI has had it for over 90 days, here’s my suggested letter to the Oklahoma Attorney General, Scott Pruitt:

xxxxxxxxx

Mr. Attorney General,

I am writing you in order to solicit the assistance of your office, in connection with the apparent failure of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) to comply with the directives of the Oklahoma Legislature, with respect to their duties as set forth in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act (SDA). Specifically, the OSBI is failing to either deny or approve applications for Oklahoma Concealed Handgun Licenses (CHL’s) within 90 days of their receipt of the application material, as required by Oklahoma statute. Such failure is not authorized by Oklahoma statute, and is contrary to law.

On (insert date here), I submitted a properly completed application for an Oklahoma Concealed Handgun License to (to whom ?) by (insert how it was submitted – registered mail, etc.). (Insert any additional details necessary to establish a complete timeline of your application process, particularly the date the OSBI received it, and how you know when they received it.)

On (insert date here), which was (XXX) days after the OSBI received my application material, I contacted the OSBI to inquire as to the status of my application. I was informed by OSBI employee (insert name here) by (phone, e-mail, letter, etc.) that (insert what you were told, when the app was expected to be processed, etc.).

The result of this is that, some (XXX) days after the OSBI received my application material from Sheriff (XXXX), my application has been neither approved nor denied by the OSBI. This is in contravention of Oklahoma statute, and is contrary to the clear mandate of the Oklahoma Legislature.

(If you have been personally informed of any other applicants whose applications have been similarly delayed, you may choose to make reference to those instances as well, using names only with permission, of course.)

Like all state agencies, the OSBI has only that specific authority granted to it by the Oklahoma Legislature. Oklahoma Statutes set forth the authority of the OSBI in connection with applications for CHL’s:

21 O.S. 1290.12 (A):

12. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a concealed handgun license or deny the application within ninety (90) days of the date of receipt of the required information from the sheriff. The Bureau shall approve an applicant who appears to be in full compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, if completion of the federal fingerprint search is the only reason for delay of the issuance of the handgun license to that applicant. Upon receipt of the federal fingerprint search information, if the Bureau receives information which precludes the person from having a concealed handgun license, the Bureau shall revoke the concealed handgun license previously issued to the applicant. The Bureau shall deny a license when the applicant fails to properly complete the application form or application process or is determined not to be eligible as specified by the provisions of Section 1290.9, 1290.10 or 1290.11 of this title. The Bureau shall approve an application in all other cases.

(Emphasis added)

The above statutory provision is very clear. The OSBI has 90 days from the date it received the application material from the sheriff to “either issue a concealed handgun license or deny the application”. This is not in any manner discretionary on the part of the OSBI – the 90-day period is mandatory (‘SHALL either issue…or deny”).

Furthermore, the statute does NOT authorize the OSBI to deny an application simply because it could not timely process the application within the specified 90-day period. The OSBI may only deny the application if it receives information precluding the applicant from being issued a CHL. If the process is not completed within 90 days of receiving the application material from the sheriff, the statute directs the OSBI to issue the license, and provides the OSBI may revoke it if the OSBI receives information which, if known, would have precluded the applicant from having a CHL (“…the [OSBI] shall approve an application in all other cases”).

The OSBI may be under a mistaken impression that it is somehow entitled under law to ignore the Oklahoma Legislature’s 90-day time limit imposed upon them under 21 O.S. 1290-12(A)(12), and that it may issue or deny such applications in their own good time. The Legislature made very clear the limited authority of the OSBI in this respect:

§21-1290.3 - AUTHORITY TO ISSUE LICENSE

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is hereby authorized to license an eligible person to carry a concealed handgun as provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act. The Bureau's authority shall be limited to the provisions specifically provided in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The Bureau shall promulgate rules, forms and procedures necessary to implement the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

(Emphasis added)

21 O.S. 1290-3 makes clear that the OSBI’s authority with respect to CHL applications is limited to those specific provisions in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. No provision of that act permits the OSBI to exceed the statutory 90-day restriction contained in 21 O.S. 1290-12(A)(12). Therefore, by law, the OSBI MUST either approve or deny an application no later than 90 days after receipt of the application from the Sheriff, subject of course to later revocation if negative information is obtained.

Your office’s website contains the following quote:

“…Establishing and respecting the Rule of Law is a hallmark of Attorney General Pruitt’s administration….”.

I am asking that your office encourage the OSBI to similarly respect the Rule of Law, as set forth by the Oklahoma Legislature, and that they establish procedures, as required by 21 O.S. 1290-3, which will insure that the will of the Legislature is followed, and that all Oklahoma CHL applications are either denied or approved “…within ninety (90) days of the date of receipt of the required information from the sheriff…”. The job of the OSBI is to carry out its duties, as those duties are prescribed and limited by the Oklahoma Legislature. Their current actions are beyond the scope of the authority provided them under law.

I thank you in advance for your assistance. Please feel free to contact me for any additional information you may require.

Xxxxx

I would suggest you also copy this letter to your state legislators, and ask them to follow up with the A.G. and the OSBI.

If any Oklahoma resident has any corrections or observations to make about my suggested correspondence, by all means, weigh in. However, the statute seems pretty clear to me, and my guess is the OSBI, just like any other governmental agency, will keep on delaying as long as they are permitted to get away with it. I can understand they are busy – lots of law-abiding folks want their CHL these days. However, the statute says what it says. They have to act within 90 days. Period. If they can't process it within 90 days of receipt, they have to issue it. They can always revoke it later if they find they should not have issued it in the first place. At least, that's my take on things.....

NOTHING CONTAINED IN THIS POST SHOULD BE INTERPRETED AS CONSTITUTING LEGAL ADVICE

davidmcbeth

Banned
The above statutory provision is very clear.

Yes, and so is the law regarding timelines set forth by the legislature ... the timeline is not mandatory. If you believe that the time is too long then you need to file a writ in court to get a court to order them to give you a license (or result); but its doubtful you'll get such an order. In my state .. 22 months was not seen as being excessive & we have tighter timeline requirements.

So you need the law to be changed to something like: ..has 90 days to gather facts and issue a denial or provide the applicant with a permit if the applicant has not been shown not to be eligible

Writing a letter to the AG? Nowhere...it will go. You are getting yourself into a tizzy because you don't know that the 90 day requirement is not a mandatory one...relax, its not mandatory. Not happy? File a writ in court or have the law changed.

Here's a hint: if a law says something must be done by time .. but does not have a penalty noted for not doing it by that time .. then its more likely than not to be a non-mandatory provision...

donsadlerjr

So I emailed them about June and they said everything is fine and all checks are back and I should be getting my approval letter in the mail to go to okla county sheriffs on shartel and pick it up soon. That was nov 11. I found a number of 713-1919 to call and see if I am on a list for pick up. Thinking about just calling them even that I have not gotten the letter. Or are they mailing the lic's to the homes now?

docachna

Here's a hint

The above statutory provision is very clear.

Yes, and so is the law regarding timelines set forth by the legislature ... the timeline is not mandatory. If you believe that the time is too long then you need to file a writ in court to get a court to order them to give you a license (or result); but its doubtful you'll get such an order. In my state .. 22 months was not seen as being excessive & we have tighter timeline requirements.

So you need the law to be changed to something like: ..has 90 days to gather facts and issue a denial or provide the applicant with a permit if the applicant has not been shown not to be eligible

Writing a letter to the AG? Nowhere...it will go. You are getting yourself into a tizzy because you don't know that the 90 day requirement is not a mandatory one...relax, its not mandatory. Not happy? File a writ in court or have the law changed.

Here's a hint: if a law says something must be done by time .. but does not have a penalty noted for not doing it by that time .. then its more likely than not to be a non-mandatory provision...

Here's a hint for you - if the statute says "shall", it's mandatory. The lack of a penalty only means it's not a criminal offense. It doesn't make it any less mandatory under law, possibly opening up allegations of malfeasance or misfeasance in office.

As to the chance of success with a complaint - I can guarantee you that if nobody complains, nothing will be done. Promise that much, I can.

Glock 1st fan

So I emailed them about June and they said everything is fine and all checks are back and I should be getting my approval letter in the mail to go to okla county sheriffs on shartel and pick it up soon. That was nov 11. I found a number of 713-1919 to call and see if I am on a list for pick up. Thinking about just calling them even that I have not gotten the letter. Or are they mailing the lic's to the homes now?

The original still goes to the sheriffs office of the county you reside in. Renewals however go straight to your residence.

hrdware

The original still goes to the sheriffs office of the county you reside in. Renewals however go straight to your residence.

Not after 1 November 2012. Now the license gets mailed to the address on the application for both new and renewals. It was part of the change in SB1733.

glock27OKC

any luck?

I was just wondering how it is turning out for the ones on here that still havent gotten your permits back. Any luck? My wife and I sent ours off 70 days ago and we have never been arrested for anything. I have been reading some things on different sites and ppl say that they waited 6 months and decided to call the sheriffs office and it was there. They where never informed. One guy recieved his letter 2 months after he picked his up from the sheriff. Should I give the sheriffs office a call now or wait till the 90 days? My instructor told us that since I took the class before 11-01-12 that my license will be sent to the sheriff still and not my house. Anyone have a clue?

Gary S

My opinion is that you can't get in trouble just for asking, the worst thing they can tell you is that its not in yet. Good luck.

Bruster

I never received a letter in the mail for mine. I just called in to the sheriffs office and it was in. I would give them a call.

Mixael

I was just wondering how it is turning out for the ones on here that still havent gotten your permits back. Any luck? My wife and I sent ours off 70 days ago and we have never been arrested for anything. I have been reading some things on different sites and ppl say that they waited 6 months and decided to call the sheriffs office and it was there. They where never informed. One guy recieved his letter 2 months after he picked his up from the sheriff. Should I give the sheriffs office a call now or wait till the 90 days? My instructor told us that since I took the class before 11-01-12 that my license will be sent to the sheriff still and not my house. Anyone have a clue?

I took my class at the end of September, applied the next day, and got my license IN THE MAIL 43 days later (OK County, by the way...can't say for other counties). I would call the SO just to check, but you're still in the time frame allowed for (2 weeks for the SO, 60 days for the OSBI). Your instructor telling you that it would go to the SO just because of the class date is wrong.....it goes by the actual ISSUE date...if they ISSUED it before 11-1-12, it would go to the SO, else to YOU at your mailing address. (DISCLAIMER: I can only give you my personal experience, not what any one else has experienced....take it for what it's worth.)

Remember, IANAL, YMMV, and all that.

metz

hey guys, my license expires aug-2013, when do i need to file for a renewal ? and what does a renewal consist of ?

Mixael

from the SDA handbook:
B. A license may be renewed any time within ninety (90) days prior to the expiration date as provided in this subsection. The Bureau shall send a renewal application to each eligible licensee with a return address requested. There shall be a thirty-day grace period on license renewals beginning on the date of expiration, thereafter the license is considered expired. However, any applicant shall have three (3) years from the expiration of the license to comply with the renewal requirements of this section.
1. To renew a handgun license, the licensee must first obtain a renewal form from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.
2. The applicant must complete the renewal form, attach two current passport size photographs of the applicant, and submit a renewal fee in the amount of Eighty-five Dollars ($85.00) to the Bureau. The renewal fee may be paid with a nationally recognized credit card as provided in subparagraph b of paragraph 4 of subsection A of Section 1290.12 of this title, or by a cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.
3. Upon receipt of the renewal application, photographs and fee, the Bureau will conduct a criminal history records name search, an investigation of medical records or other records or information deemed by the Bureau to be relevant to the renewal application. If the applicant appears not to have any prohibition to renewing the handgun license, the Bureau shall issue the renewed license for a period of five (5) or ten (10) years.

Linky thing at http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2012.pdf

Bruster

So is there just one $85 dollar fee whether it is a 5 or 10 year? And do they decide how long your license will be good for?

glock27OKC

Thanks

I took my class at the end of September, applied the next day, and got my license IN THE MAIL 43 days later (OK County, by the way...can't say for other counties). I would call the SO just to check, but you're still in the time frame allowed for (2 weeks for the SO, 60 days for the OSBI). Your instructor telling you that it would go to the SO just because of the class date is wrong.....it goes by the actual ISSUE date...if they ISSUED it before 11-1-12, it would go to the SO, else to YOU at your mailing address. (DISCLAIMER: I can only give you my personal experience, not what any one else has experienced....take it for what it's worth.)

Remember, IANAL, YMMV, and all that.[/QUOT
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the comments. I am orignaly from georgia and when I received mine there it only took 2 weeks. Shows youy the difference. Hopefully I will get it soon. My Georgia one is expired now and I feel naked without my gun.

Mixael

$85 = 5 year
$170 = 10 year

This is correct. The link and quote that I posted were the result of a quick search, and ARE accurate, but the cost only reflects the cost of a five year renewal. I didn't take the time to scour the SDA for the 10 year, but the cost is clearly noted on the app form for both the 5 and 10 year renewal options. I'm sure it's in there (meaning in the SDA pamplet/book/whatever it's called), I just didn't spend that long looking. You can always head to the OSBI website to gather the info needed...and I would recommend that you do so to verify anything that is said here. the authoritative source for anything I post about the SDA is this link: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/index.html

Laters

Mixael

Remember, IANAL, YMMV, and all that.[/QUOT
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the comments. I am orignaly from georgia and when I received mine there it only took 2 weeks. Shows youy the difference. Hopefully I will get it soon. My Georgia one is expired now and I feel naked without my gun.

Well, all I can say is that this thread is easy for me to get answers for. Not only is it still fresh from my experience, but I am also assisting my cousin with his endeavor to get HIS license. And trust me, HE asks more questions than have been asked here, so I've pretty well covered it with him. And, to be fair, I'm not the only one giving good info in this thread. Cudos to all those trying to assist.

Take care.