Thread: They are watching. Facebook posts lead to arrest, psych eval

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

They are watching. Facebook posts lead to arrest, psych eval

http://communities.washingtontimes.c...acebook-posts/

snip

WASHINGTON, August 22, 2012 — Brandon J. Raub, a 26-year-old pro-liberty activist, former U.S. Marine, and Virginia resident, was arrested after authorities deemed his Facebook posts threatening. Citing an obscure statute allowing the involuntary detainment of a citizen for psychiatric evaluation, the FBI, Secret Service, and local authorities swarmed Raub’s property to question and then seize him.

"I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

He's not the only person the government has gone after, and he won't be the last. Research "psikhushkas", and the newly coined "Oppositional Defiance Disorder".

This is the latest update I was able to find, from August. Strange that there seems to be no further information beyond this point.

Link
    Circuit Judge W. Allan Sharret declared the commitment order granted to federal authorities for Brandon Raub’s arrest and detainment was invalid.

...Judge Sharret agreed the arrest and detention actions were illegal and will request Raub’s discharge. As the Richmond-Times Dispatch reports, he was shocked by the failure of the magistrate to include in the order any grounds for holding Raub.
    “The initial order was rubber-stamped”, says John Whitehead. "The special justice is very old. He had trouble hearing Brandon. He brought into the courtroom a personal cassette player – we tried to listen to it and you can hardly hear what's being said. This is the so-called judge – he's a lawyer, not a real judge – it's like what you would see in a bad movie."

...Whitehead stated that 20,000 people are committed under similar circumstances in Virginia annually. “That means a lot of people are disappearing under the pretext of mental illness”.

Soon they will be coming for all of us.

Hey I post stuff on facebook all the time that is rather questionable.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    In Soviet Union Mental institutions were used extensively as prisons. If you don't agree with the state you must be crazy!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

They are watching. Facebook posts lead to arrest, psych eval

"Their job is to protect us."

I am tired of this mistaken idea. Under our constitutional system, despite what Obama said in the debates, the function of government is to do those few things we specifically ask it to do and to otherwise stay the hell out of our way. Stop infantilizing me by "protecting" me.

From what little I know about it, I don't much like what this bozo has to say, but until and unless he makes specific threats, he has the right to say it. By going after this guy, the government is inadvertently validating what he is saying and actually increasing the chance that more people will act on his words. What the government is doing is unlawful, unconstitutional, and unsmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Re: They are watching. Facebook posts lead to arrest, psych eval

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    In Soviet Union Mental institutions were used extensively as prisons. If you don't agree with the state you must be crazy!
    *russian voice* In soviet russia, prison go to you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

Just another reason to stay off facebook. Anything you say (or think) can and will be used against you. You have the right to remain stupid and post anything you like, but physics will tell you every action has a reaction.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Just another reason to stay off facebook. Anything you say (or think) can and will be used against you. You have the right to remain stupid and post anything you like, but physics will tell you every action has a reaction.
    They read our posts here too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man
    I post stuff on facebook all the time that is rather questionable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
    They read our posts here too.
    It's like putting things on a billboard.
    And if you've come to the attention of the authorities (at whatever level), I'm guessing that FB wouldn't tell you if they've gotten a warrant to blast past your security settings.
    Heck, FB might even cooperate.

BTW, those laws allowing involuntary "evaluation" aren't rare, just not talked about so the public doesn't know about them. All it takes is someone to lie convincingly, & the police will break into your home & attack you, then kidnap you for "evaluation". DAMHIK

Banned
    I've been called a terrorist by the state ... so I told the lawyer who called me that to try to arrest me ... yea, he backed down from that statement.

I bluntly told them that I would resist any attempts to arrest me and issued a notice of trespass for them to stay off my land and that I would not utter another word about them staying off my land..

My offense? Filing a FOIA request. I like Churchill's viewpoint: never surrender, never.

Would OCDO give up your "personal info" (if you have any personal info that is residing in OCDO) as has Facebook?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    That's one of the reasons I won't do facebull. They are too nosy and have too many rules controlling "members." They want most of their content invisible to people who won't sheepishly give up a lot of personal info. One of these days, facebull will become a complete tool of those who would control us, and more and more, it is becoming required membership to do many things.

Talk about the "Mark of the Beast"! I think I will start calling it "facebeast."

If you love Liberty, you will stop using that system. It is too late to retract your personal info. They have that and will never let it go. They'll give it out, but always keep a copy.

I am ashamed that OCDO and BamaCarry use it.
    Last edited by eye95; 11-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.