• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo takes anti firearms stance

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
BMADDOX ENTERPRISES recently decided to expand operations by purchasing a new building, trying to capitalize on the industry's continued growth, especially with the oil field boom in western North Dakota near their location. Application was made at a local Wells Fargo bank for a business loan for a new building acquisition. With a sterling credit record, no personal or business debt and a sound business plan, the loan approval looked to be a no brainer, until it was discovered this business was part of the firearms industry. BMADDOX ENTERPRISES holds two Federal Firearms Licenses and two Class 3 SOT licenses for selling firearms, with locations in both SD and ND.

Vice President of Business Banking at Wells Fargo, called Friday Nov 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to alert Mr. Maddox, owner of BMADDOX ENTERPRISES, that Wells Fargo would not extend business credit or loans to any firearms related business, period. "Your credit is impeccable and your business model is sound, but our corporate legal department will not allow us to extend credit to any business related to firearms. We understand you are fully licensed under federal and state law, although…the corporate directive is still no."

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1sJzf)

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

BMADDOX ENTERPRISES recently decided to expand operations by purchasing a new building, trying to capitalize on the industry's continued growth, especially with the oil field boom in western North Dakota near their location. Application was made at a local Wells Fargo bank for a business loan for a new building acquisition. With a sterling credit record, no personal or business debt and a sound business plan, the loan approval looked to be a no brainer, until it was discovered this business was part of the firearms industry. BMADDOX ENTERPRISES holds two Federal Firearms Licenses and two Class 3 SOT licenses for selling firearms, with locations in both SD and ND.

Vice President of Business Banking at Wells Fargo, called Friday Nov 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to alert Mr. Maddox, owner of BMADDOX ENTERPRISES, that Wells Fargo would not extend business credit or loans to any firearms related business, period. "Your credit is impeccable and your business model is sound, but our corporate legal department will not allow us to extend credit to any business related to firearms. We understand you are fully licensed under federal and state law, although…the corporate directive is still no."

Wow, take that letter and get approval from competition. I would think North Dakota is a fairly fire arm friendly place, I am sure folks their would like to find out about Wells Fargo's stance.

eye95

Jeez, now I gotta figure out how to refinance the remaining amount on my mortgage. It ain't much, but I won't bank with Wells Fargo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Carry a Sig

Take business someplace else..

I saw this about Wells Fargo over 6mo ago. IMHO they are idiots. I have done business with them through my job and they constantly give us false information.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I wonder if their lawyers know something about the firearms industry others don't, like whether there is going to be a business crunch from government over-regulation or something.

Gabe Boehmer

Wells Fargo does not prohibit lending to firearms-related businesses

My name is Gabe Boehmer, and I'm a Wells Fargo spokesman. I appreciate the opportunity to comment directly to friends of OpenCarry.org about the post quoted above. The customer’s claim above that Wells Fargo rejected his request for credit based solely on the industry he’s in is simply untrue. We do not have a credit policy that prohibits financing for arms or armaments. In fact, Wells Fargo has several relationships with business banking and commercial banking borrowers in firearms-related industries. In this particular case, the customer requested a type of credit with terms we don’t offer. We discussed other options with the customer, which he declined.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My name is Gabe Boehmer, and I'm a Wells Fargo spokesman. I appreciate the opportunity to comment directly to friends of OpenCarry.org about the post quoted above. The customer’s claim above that Wells Fargo rejected his request for credit based solely on the industry he’s in is simply untrue. We do not have a credit policy that prohibits financing for arms or armaments. In fact, Wells Fargo has several relationships with business banking and commercial banking borrowers in firearms-related industries. In this particular case, the customer requested a type of credit with terms we don’t offer. We discussed other options with the customer, which he declined.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

THANK YOU.

I've been with Wells Fargo for over 20 years. I hadn't gotten around to verifying the story yet, but I would have before doing anything.

I was skeptical because I openly carry in Wells Fargo. I closed my accounts with NorWest bank (nee PriMerit, nee First Interstate) in Las Vegas when they put up "No Guns" signs on the door. I reopened my account after Wells Fargo took over and the signs came down.

Now that you've gone through all the trouble to sign up and post here, Gabe, WELCOME to OCDO. I'm just a lowly local member in NV with no official capacity, but I'm sure we'd love to have you stick around and tell us about yourself and join the community as a responsible businessman, whether you carry (yet) or not.

Ca Patriot

Mr Boehmer, how the hell did you find this thread ?

Gabe Boehmer

THANK YOU.

I've been with Wells Fargo for over 20 years. I hadn't gotten around to verifying the story yet, but I would have before doing anything.

I was skeptical because I openly carry in Wells Fargo. I closed my accounts with NorWest bank (nee PriMerit, nee First Interstate) in Las Vegas when they put up "No Guns" signs on the door. I reopened my account after Wells Fargo took over and the signs came down.

Now that you've gone through all the trouble to sign up and post here, Gabe, WELCOME to OCDO. I'm just a lowly local member in NV with no official capacity, but I'm sure we'd love to have you stick around and tell us about yourself and join the community as a responsible businessman, whether you carry (yet) or not.

Wells Fargo appreciates your business, MAC702. Thanks for the hospitality, and I would be happy to to stick around. If you all are interested, I know a Wells Fargo historian who would be interested in discussions about Wells Fargo stagecoach shotguns.

darkside

devils advocate

Not trying to be arguementative here, but didnt you say that your job at Wells Fargo is as a spokesperson? Wouldnt that mean by definition that your job is to try and spin a story so your employer is seen in a better light? As i said, im not trying to start a fight or take sides in this disscusion but i have found that the truth sometimes lies between both sides of the story.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not trying to be arguementative here, but didnt you say that your job at Wells Fargo is as a spokesperson? Wouldnt that mean by definition that your job is to try and spin a story so your employer is seen in a better light? As i said, im not trying to start a fight or take sides in this disscusion but i have found that the truth sometimes lies between both sides of the story.

My experience has led me to treat new posters at face value until either: research proves them wrong, or they start contradicting themselves when asked questions. I gain nothing by voicing suspicions before there is something solid to be suspicious about. Unless of course the initial post is so outlandish that it itself can be rejected outright; but I have to be careful about even those because sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. And, where voicing suspicions before there is something solid about which to be suspicious gains nothing, it actually makes me look bad if the poster is proven right.

Of course, treating a poster at face value does not mean I have to accept and believe what he wrote without reservation. If I have any doubts, I keep them to myself.

Also, being nice and treating a poster at face value has the added advantage that if the poster is trying to pull something, he won't realize he's under suspicion until its too late to retract and effectively counter-argue.

And, besides, its classy to be nice.

Notice also that even Mr. Boehmer's response to me was carefully couched. He thanked me for reading his side of the story. He didn't acknowledge any more than could be deduced from my reply, factoring in that I could be merely glibly polite without actually mentally accepting his report. He knows the deal on these things. He knows his statement is not necessarily going to be accepted hook-line-and-sinker. If he's not a PR man, I'd be very surprised.

--------------------------------

If you want to look into it in this case, a little research could turn up something. The first thing that pops to mind is googling his unusual name and see if he is really a spokesman for Wells Fargo. Also, you could contact the original subject, if there is a website, and request a copy of the loan refusal letter, or research the original subject and see if they have a history of false or twisted statements, etc., etc. Of course, after a certain point, who cares? The effort becomes not worth it. If Gabe is lying, the next gun range that seeks a loan will spread the story. And, its not like all Wells Fargo customers who are also OCers withdrawing their accounts is going to amount to a blip on Wells Fargo's balance sheet.

Last edited:

Boomboy007

In need of a new bank. I'll give WF a look.

Well, after being out west for a few months, I have decided to close my PNC account back east because there are no local branches, and some things just can't be done easily or quickly by mail, or even electronically. Of course, when I visit the local branch to open my account, rest assured I will be open carrying. I will let you guys know how things shake out.

Thanks for the clarification, Gabe.

eye95

Pardon my skepticism, but what businesses, and what are those relationships?

This is not the first instance I have heard of Wells Fargo turning down loans to gun-related businesses, so I tend to believe the OP's story. However, I'd like to give you a chance to support your contention before I move my mortgage.

If you cite privacy, I suggest you contact those businesses and get their permission to provide a few verifiable details.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My experience has led me to treat new posters at face value until either: research proves them wrong, or they start contradicting themselves when asked questions. I gain nothing by voicing suspicions before there is something solid to be suspicious about. Unless of course the initial post is so outlandish that it itself can be rejected outright; but I have to be careful about even those because sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. And, where voicing suspicions before there is something solid about which to be suspicious gains nothing, it actually makes me look bad if the poster is proven right.

Of course, treating a poster at face value does not mean I have to accept and believe what he wrote without reservation. If I have any doubts, I keep them to myself.

Also, being nice and treating a poster at face value has the added advantage that if the poster is trying to pull something, he won't realize he's under suspicion until its too late to retract and effectively counter-argue.

And, besides, its classy to be nice.

Notice also that even Mr. Boehmer's response to me was carefully couched. He thanked me for reading his side of the story. He didn't acknowledge any more than could be deduced from my reply, factoring in that I could be merely glibly polite without actually mentally accepting his report. He knows the deal on these things. He knows his statement is not necessarily going to be accepted hook-line-and-sinker. If he's not a PR man, I'd be very surprised.

--------------------------------

If you want to look into it in this case, a little research could turn up something. The first thing that pops to mind is googling his unusual name and see if he is really a spokesman for Wells Fargo. Also, you could contact the original subject, if there is a website, and request a copy of the loan refusal letter, or research the original subject and see if they have a history of false or twisted statements, etc., etc. Of course, after a certain point, who cares? The effort becomes not worth it. If Gabe is lying, the next gun range that seeks a loan will spread the story. And, its not like all Wells Fargo customers who are also OCers withdrawing their accounts is going to amount to a blip on Wells Fargo's balance sheet.

Publicly available information does confirm that he is who and what he purports to be.
icon14.png

For future reference:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/press/2012/20120809_BestInternetBank

Last edited:

darkside

As I said, i was not taking sides, just clarifying his job. Since the reported incident with McMillan and Bank of America, I have been careful abuot who i belive in news stories regarding buisnessesss. In this case the op provided a link to the story but its only source was the company denied the loan from the company owned website. Not the most stellar source for info. For all we know the company could have gone in to apply for a loan they knew would be denied just to stir up publicity. As for me, i give every post the same amount of skepticism. Plus i have often been called the anti-pc. I speak my mind and dam any ones feelings, i dont care. The truth is more important than feelings.