• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wells Fargo takes anti firearms stance

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- As for me, i give every post the same amount of skepticism. Plus i have often been called the anti-pc. I speak my mind and dam any ones feelings, i dont care. The truth is more important than feelings.

Unless you have something to sell, and you don't want to negatively influence anyone. :uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My name is Gabe Boehmer, and I'm a Wells Fargo spokesman. I appreciate the opportunity to comment directly to friends of OpenCarry.org about the post quoted above. The customer’s claim above that Wells Fargo rejected his request for credit based solely on the industry he’s in is simply untrue. We do not have a credit policy that prohibits financing for arms or armaments. In fact, Wells Fargo has several relationships with business banking and commercial banking borrowers in firearms-related industries. In this particular case, the customer requested a type of credit with terms we don’t offer. We discussed other options with the customer, which he declined.

Gabe,

I appreciate you coming here to try and resolve this matter.

Please address this:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ama-wins-second-term-in-office-178065871.html

Vice President of Business Banking at Wells Fargo, called Friday Nov 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to alert Mr. Maddox, owner of BMADDOX ENTERPRISES, that Wells Fargo would not extend business credit or loans to any firearms related business, period. "Your credit is impeccable and your business model is sound, but our corporate legal department will not allow us to extend credit to any business related to firearms. We understand you are fully licensed under federal and state law, although…the corporate directive is still no."

We seem to have opposing statements. Mr. Maddox has, to some extent, had his assertions vetted by a significant number of bloggers.

Please accept this as an opportunity to provide information that would tend to substantiate your claims over those of Mr. Maddox. Until that happens I see this as more of a "he said/she said) than anything else - although there is some material out there saying that what he said has veracity.

stay safe.

edited to add: info on BMaddox Enterrprises

http://www.ffl123.com/ - yes, he has a web presence where he tries to sell you his program of how to get your FFL at your home address. Yes, there are some folks who are not happy with that business. That, however, does not seem to have anything to do with the issue at hand.
maddox Enterprises LLC
South Dakota Firearms
27308 Meadow Ridge Rd
Harrisburg, SD 57032
(605) 254-2811 (Phone)

FFL License:3 - 46 - XXX - XX - XX - 00842
FFL License Type:07 - Manufacturer
License Expires:01/01/2014

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Thanks for your reply Gabe.

I have had no personal issues Open carrying in your branches here in Bellingham Wa, and had at one time even set up a business account and will attest that no one made my firearm the issue and your staff was truly friendly and attentive.

moonie

I also work for Wells Fargo, although not in as high and public a position as Gabe. I am unaware of any anti gun bias within the bank, quite the opposite, the branches locally here that were Wachovia and are now Wells Fargo took down all of the signage regarding no carry of firearms that Wachovia had on the branches.

As you may notice, I'm not a new poster.

eye95

Still waiting on Gabe to post support for his contentions...

It is beginning to look like WF was doing damage control by posting the same thing on all the gun sites. Unless Gabe answers my questions, I'll just move my remaining mortgage somewhere else.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Still waiting on Gabe to post support for his contentions...

It is beginning to look like WF was doing damage control by posting the same thing on all the gun sites. Unless Gabe answers my questions, I'll just move my remaining mortgage somewhere else.

We shall soon see. I'd like to see if he responds before Wednesday - otherwise we are probably going to have to wait till after the holiday to find out if any further response is forthcoming.

stay safe.

Sent at 12:51:11 AM Saturday, 11/`7/12 to gabriel.h.boehmer@wellsfargo.com .
Since your last appearance at Open Carry dot Org some questions have been posed and folks are waiting (some patiently, some not so patiently) for a further response from Wells Fargo,

Go here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108219-Wells-Fargo-takes-anti-firearms-stance and see the questions in post #18 and #22.

I'm sure the folks there would appreciate anything you have to say.

Just to be open about things, I am posting a copy of this email to that thread, I post there under the name skidmark..

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, snap! Got this literally seconds after sending the email:

[QUOTE]Thanks for the heads up, skidmark. I’ll head there now.[/QUOTE]

Hold onto your hats.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK, get a cup of coffee while you can. Grab a smoke if yuu are inclined that way.

stay safe.

I
I brilliantly locked myself out by screwing up my password too many times – will be there after my 15 minutes in the penalty box

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Y'all be nice now. You know that Wells Fargo could suddenly decide to ban OC if they wanted.

I'm going to watch how a professional PR handles these things. Personally, I see no point in his returning. Its basically a he said/she said sort of situation. Unless he starts pulling out confidential loan application documents, I don't see how he can win. So, when there is nothing to gain, and losing ground seems the only outcome, I cannot imagine why he would come back. But, that's why I'm watching--to see if I can learn something.

Gabe Boehmer

Pardon my skepticism, but what businesses, and what are those relationships?

This is not the first instance I have heard of Wells Fargo turning down loans to gun-related businesses, so I tend to believe the OP's story. However, I'd like to give you a chance to support your contention before I move my mortgage.

If you cite privacy, I suggest you contact those businesses and get their permission to provide a few verifiable details.

eye95: You're correct, Wells Fargo guards our customers' privacy. Our customers in the arms and armaments industry include brand names. In addition to borrowing or lines of credit, their business with us typically includes a range of products and services in treasury management.

We appreciate your business as a mortgage customer.

Last edited:

Gabe Boehmer

Gabe,

I appreciate you coming here to try and resolve this matter.

Please address this:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ama-wins-second-term-in-office-178065871.html

We seem to have opposing statements. Mr. Maddox has, to some extent, had his assertions vetted by a significant number of bloggers.

Please accept this as an opportunity to provide information that would tend to substantiate your claims over those of Mr. Maddox. Until that happens I see this as more of a "he said/she said) than anything else - although there is some material out there saying that what he said has veracity.

stay safe.

edited to add: info on BMaddox Enterrprises

http://www.ffl123.com/ - yes, he has a web presence where he tries to sell you his program of how to get your FFL at your home address. Yes, there are some folks who are not happy with that business. That, however, does not seem to have anything to do with the issue at hand.
maddox Enterprises LLC
South Dakota Firearms
27308 Meadow Ridge Rd
Harrisburg, SD 57032
(605) 254-2811 (Phone)

FFL License:3 - 46 - XXX - XX - XX - 00842
FFL License Type:07 - Manufacturer
License Expires:01/01/2014

skidmark: I can't go into details about a particular customer. What I can assure you is that Wells Fargo extends credit and other banking products and services to firearms-related businesses.

Gabe Boehmer

Thanks for your reply Gabe.

I have had no personal issues Open carrying in your branches here in Bellingham Wa, and had at one time even set up a business account and will attest that no one made my firearm the issue and your staff was truly friendly and attentive.

Thanks, sudden valley gunner. That's good to hear. I hope we can do business with you again someday soon.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, he's good. He sorta dodged around Eye95's comments, but he did it with elan. I'm impressed. A real pro.

Last edited:

Gabe Boehmer

Gabe - How did you find this thread ?

Sorry for the belated reply, Ca Patriot. After I read the press release at issue here, I searched for it, and your discussion thread was on the first page of Google results. In that same search, I found some interesting history about Wells Fargo shotguns that I wasn't aware of. There's advice for identifying a Wells Fargo-marked shotgun on our history page at https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/history/faqs#Q10. I've also copied it here:

10. How do I know if the Wells Fargo markings on an antique shotgun are real?

"Wells Fargo" marked shotguns have become a problem among collectors of antique firearms. In general, each town's Well Fargo Agent bought weapons from local stores carrying whatever was available — it was not a central headquarters function. Just as with companies today, Wells Fargo's offices did not keep outdated records. Therefore, there are no comprehensive lists of Wells Fargo firearms.

Additionally, in recent years, many people have added "Wells Fargo" to actual antique weapons. All of this makes it very difficult to know whether any shotgun currently for sale was or was not used by Wells Fargo, regardless of the markings. For further information, you may check the book by James Bartz, Company Property, (the Westbound Stage, 1993), for sale at http://www.westboundstage.com.

There's more interesting posts on Wells Fargo's Guided By History Blog. Like this one about a famous 1881 shootout in Tombstone, Arizona: http://blog.wellsfargo.com/guidedbyhistory/2011/11/americas_19th_century_reality.html

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Vice President of Business Banking at Wells Fargo, called Friday Nov 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to alert Mr. Maddox, owner of BMADDOX ENTERPRISES, that Wells Fargo would not extend business credit or loans to any firearms related business, period. "Your credit is impeccable and your business model is sound, but our corporate legal department will not allow us to extend credit to any business related to firearms. We understand you are fully licensed under federal and state law, although…the corporate directive is still no."
PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1sJzf)

Wells Fargo extends credit and other banking products and services to firearms-related businesses.

I guess it's time to go back to the source and ask them to dig deeper into the claim that the VP of Business Banking made that statement. Wonder if Mr. Maddox had recorded the conversation?

stay safe.