• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland County

RugerP95DC

If I am not mistaken, the Sheriff's office is funded through the County Commissioners.

If I were still living in Cleveland County, I would be putting myself on the agenda of the next commissioners' meeting, asking loudly where exactly Joe Lester gets off using tax dollars to discourage merchants from permitting me to exercise my Second Amendment rights within their stores in the county, and worse still, for NO VALID REASON.

There is not one single study out there that supports the contention that businesses which prohibit concealed or open carry of legally possessed firearms are safer. NOT ONE. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. Joe Lester can bleat all he wants about "keeping our families safe" and other such nonsense, but he simply can't support it.

I strongly suspect that if enough people express their displeasure to the county government, a quiet conversation with the High Sheriff will result in all of his Criminal Protection Zone signs that are still up quietly disappearing. The pols don't want to be on the wrong side of this issue, and they are at present. He's causing them grief that they simply don't need. I suspect that if you all keep pressing, the signs will ALL come down sooner rather than later. :D

I couldn't agree with you more, believe me this issue is FAR from over!

Poke78

I've seen similar actions by sheriffs and police chiefs in KS when CC happened up there a few years back. The main difference is there is an approved gun buster signs that is written into the law so you are in violation the minute you enter the posted location.

There's a political solution but it doesn't go through the County Commissioners because the Sheriff's office is a separately elected position over which they have no real power.

Sheriff Lester is a relative of a co-worker and I have met him at my office, thought he was a good guy. Guess that only goes so far...

gprod55

Little Axe, Ok

Need to add that Absentee Shawnee Tobacco Shop and Gas Station on Hwy 9, no guns allowed. Pecan Valley Junction Stop and Shop Gas Station off Harrah Newalla Rd, no guns allowed. Main entrance to Thunderbird Lake State Park off Hwy 9, entrance sign says no guns allowed. Dollar General Store off Hwy 9 in little Axe was posted no guns allowed. Since all of these places of bussiness are located in Cleveland Co. they have the sheriffs sign posted. Country Boy Grocery store and gas station off Hwy 9 allows open carry with no problems.

RugerP95DC

Need to add that Absentee Shawnee Tobacco Shop and Gas Station on Hwy 9, no guns allowed. Pecan Valley Junction Stop and Shop Gas Station off Harrah Newalla Rd, no guns allowed. Main entrance to Thunderbird Lake State Park off Hwy 9, entrance sign says no guns allowed. Dollar General Store off Hwy 9 in little Axe was posted no guns allowed. Since all of these places of bussiness are located in Cleveland Co. they have the sheriffs sign posted. Country Boy Grocery store and gas station off Hwy 9 allows open carry with no problems.

I will start working on these, thanks for the info.

hrdware

Lake Thunderbird will always have a "Firearms Prohibited" sign up as they really don't want them there. However those persons who know the law and carry with an SDA will not be in violation. Honestly, I'm OK with them having a sign up given all the drunkards that enjoy their time at the lake.