• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland County

RugerP95DC

Today I will be heading to Lexington to make a list of buisnesses with the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office/Lexington PD in cooperation "NO Firearms of any kind signs"

If anyone knows of any of these signs else where in Cleveland County please post the buisness name and location here. Thanks, Dustin

Last edited:

RugerP95DC

Started in Noble, Dollar General has a CCSO Gun Buster sign posted on front door, it was not there a few days ago.

Headed to Lex, DG in Slaughterville had same CCSO GB sign posted, as did Diamond Shamrock and the Sinclair station.

Then headed to Lexington, Kims Corner (corner of Hwy 77 & Beech St. had no signs posted, I OC'd in there and made a purchase, no problems.

Finish Line (corner of Broadway & 3rd) Posted CCSO/LPD Gun Buster Sign, dropped off letter to manager and she said she would forward to owner, she said she did not agree with the signage.

Shell Kwik Corner (corner of 5th & Broadhway) CCSO/LPD GB sign posted, dropped off letter to clerk, she said she would give to manager when she got to work later this evening.

Williams Pharmacy (corner of 6th & Broadway) CCSO/LPD GB sign posted, dropped off letter to pharmacist, had about a 5 minute conversation with him, he said he would forward to owner, I explained to him that major chain pharmacies like Walgreens and Walmart are allowing OC/CC in their establishments.

Dollar General (corner of 6th & Broadway) CCSO/LPD GB sign posted, I did not drop off a letter, I am going to email DG corporate with this letter.

*while I was in town I could hear people shooting, not sure if there is a range in town or not.

Dollar General Noble
101_2129.jpg

Finish Line
101_2130.jpg

Williams Pharmacy
101_2131.jpg

Shell Kwik Corner would not let me take a picture of their sign, and I did not take pics of the ones in Slaughtersville

docachna

Governmentally-sanctioned Criminal Protection Zones

So Joe Lester is using taxpayer dollars to help create Criminal Protection Zones ("CPZ's"). Now, just like schools, courthouses, and other locations where concealed carriers are statutorily barred from entering, bad guys have nothing to fear in such establishments. Even worse, Sheriff Lester thinks it is an appropriate use of tax dollars to create signs that give citizens the mistaken impression that barring LEGALLY CARRIED weapons is somehow heightening their safety.

As we all know, nothing could be further from the truth. Criminals, by and large, don't pay any attention to signs. They don't obey signs, or the law - that's why they call them CRIMINALS. The bad guys now know that any store with a GunBuster sign on the door, like the ones you've listed, is "easy pickin's". He has the blessing of the High Sheriff, who has helped the merchant prohibit any law-abiding citizen from bringing a weapon into his store. ("Hey, Jose - that store is posted ! That's safe for us to hit, homie !!!".)

I hope concealed and open carriers in Oklahoma mount a strong and unified campaign to let merchants know that what they are doing is a mistake - that what they are doing is INCREASING, not DECREASING, the danger to their customers - that pistol permit holders are not the folks they need to be worrying about - that you and every other permit holder is going to VOTE WITH THEIR FEET, and take their hard-earned dollar to a merchant who thinks with his brain instead of his emotions. If he did so, he would immediately realize that posting a GB sign is exactly the WRONG move to protect his customers from harm. No Guns/No Money cards, and well-composed letters listing all the reasons why this is a BAD business move, are very useful in this battle.

It is painstaking and time consuming - but I can tell you from first-hand experience that calm and rational discussion with businessowners can have a positive impact. What's important is that we remain professional and objective in our presentations to them. Their position is based 100% on emotion. Logic simply does not enter into it. The shameful thing is that the Sheriff, a law enforcement officer who you would THINK would know better, is spreading this sort of Barbara Streisand in his county....

RugerP95DC

So Joe Lester is using taxpayer dollars to help create Criminal Protection Zones ("CPZ's"). Now, just like schools, courthouses, and other locations where concealed carriers are statutorily barred from entering, bad guys have nothing to fear in such establishments. Even worse, Sheriff Lester thinks it is an appropriate use of tax dollars to create signs that give citizens the mistaken impression that barring LEGALLY CARRIED weapons is somehow heightening their safety.

As we all know, nothing could be further from the truth. Criminals, by and large, don't pay any attention to signs. They don't obey signs, or the law - that's why they call them CRIMINALS. The bad guys now know that any store with a GunBuster sign on the door, like the ones you've listed, is "easy pickin's". He has the blessing of the High Sheriff, who has helped the merchant prohibit any law-abiding citizen from bringing a weapon into his store. ("Hey, Jose - that store is posted ! That's safe for us to hit, homie !!!".)

I hope concealed and open carriers in Oklahoma mount a strong and unified campaign to let merchants know that what they are doing is a mistake - that what they are doing is INCREASING, not DECREASING, the danger to their customers - that pistol permit holders are not the folks they need to be worrying about - that you and every other permit holder is going to VOTE WITH THEIR FEET, and take their hard-earned dollar to a merchant who thinks with his brain instead of his emotions. If he did so, he would immediately realize that posting a GB sign is exactly the WRONG move to protect his customers from harm. No Guns/No Money cards, and well-composed letters listing all the reasons why this is a BAD business move, are very useful in this battle.

It is painstaking and time consuming - but I can tell you from first-hand experience that calm and rational discussion with businessowners can have a positive impact. What's important is that we remain professional and objective in our presentations to them. Their position is based 100% on emotion. Logic simply does not enter into it. The shameful thing is that the Sheriff, a law enforcement officer who you would THINK would know better, is spreading this sort of Barbara Streisand in his county....

I dropped off the letter from OKOCA to these buisnesses, and spoke with personell who were available.

Last edited:

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
I do not have firsthand knowledge of this, but I have heard from others that Dollar General has a corporate policy stating that they follow all state laws regarding the possession of firearms in their stores. You may want to call and verify that. It could provide you with the 'ammunition' you need to speak to the managers and have the signs taken down. If they refused, you could then report those stores / managers to the corporate office. If there is no corporate policy, I would then continue with your currently planned course of action. I'm not trying to tell you what to do by any means. I'm just trying (as someone who has been through this stuff before) to help you possibly save some time and energy. Good job on spotting these signs and having the motivation to actually do something about it.

Maybe you should talk to the OKOCA Directors and see if they would organize a picnic or a large Starbucks gathering in the area since this Sheriff obviously doesn't like OC. I think he needs to be shown that we (OC'ers as a group) will not be intimidated by this type of bullying. I only say Starbucks because they are well known for allowing OC throughout the country. It could be anywhere that has a similar strong and well documented history of allowing OC so that any possible responding LEO's would not 'try to convince' the business that they should ask us to leave. Just a thought...

Frank B

The statute that sheriff Lester cites is incorrect. Businesses are not listed in Section 1277; it deals with schools and government buildings and meetings of officials so carrying in those places would be trespassing and not a violation of the SDA.

RugerP95DC

****UPDATES*****

Dollar General in Lexington and Noble have removed the CCSO signs, I was there tonight when DG in Noble removed the sign on the door, I also spoke with a customer there who had their permit, and said Maguire Farm Store (corner of 96th & Maguire) also had one of these CCSO signs posted and has since been removed.

I will check the DG in Slaughterville tomorrow, as of now there are no CCSO "no firearms of any kind signs" anywhere in Noble to my knowledge.

Last edited:

RugerP95DC

***UPDATE***

I went to Dollar General in Slaughtersville this morning and the sign was still up so I went in and spoke with the manager there, he gave me some interesting information, two hours later when I drove by, the sign was down.

Dustin

ethorman

Good to see these signs coming down, thanks to you and all the people who are working behind the scene. I know S*** rolls down hill but if you get enough people together you can push it back up.

docachna

Sheriff's actions

If I am not mistaken, the Sheriff's office is funded through the County Commissioners.

If I were still living in Cleveland County, I would be putting myself on the agenda of the next commissioners' meeting, asking loudly where exactly Joe Lester gets off using tax dollars to discourage merchants from permitting me to exercise my Second Amendment rights within their stores in the county, and worse still, for NO VALID REASON.

There is not one single study out there that supports the contention that businesses which prohibit concealed or open carry of legally possessed firearms are safer. NOT ONE. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. Joe Lester can bleat all he wants about "keeping our families safe" and other such nonsense, but he simply can't support it.

I strongly suspect that if enough people express their displeasure to the county government, a quiet conversation with the High Sheriff will result in all of his Criminal Protection Zone signs that are still up quietly disappearing. The pols don't want to be on the wrong side of this issue, and they are at present. He's causing them grief that they simply don't need. I suspect that if you all keep pressing, the signs will ALL come down sooner rather than later. :D

Last edited: