• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Since businesses can dictate their preferance..

Joe in Norman

Hey there folks.. I've got a "what if" situation that I just dreamed up. Personally I have found that just carrying my sidearm OWB under a t-shirt considerably more comfy, kinda "covered up" but definitely not a cellphone, than shirt tucked in and wide open carrying. I haven't encountered conceal only signs yet but figure it won't be long. My dilemma and I believe I know the answer I guess is I prolly will need to leave my weapon in the car or just not go in. I would assume in the eyes of the law that it isn't properly concealed by just being covered up by a t-shirt. I also feel that if a business post conceal only they are more concerned with the reaction to open carry by other customers than their personal reaction. Would like to hear some thoughts.

Gary S

Well i thought the same thing, it is said that concealed means concealed, well that's the good thing about our new law although i prefer open, if i wanted to conceal i don't have to worry about printing or uncovering by accident. But in my opinion if its posted concealed only just covering up your firearm with your shirt should be just fine, the general public probably won't even notice it, out of site out of mind, and if the business is only posted concealed only for his other non carrying customers, as long as its covered and they don't have any complaints arise, you are complying to his or her wishes.

Archerman99

I agree with Gary, however,
The law defines open as partially or completely visible. So even with just a shirt cover up, if the bottom of the barrel or holster becomes visible, even just a little, technically that is open carry, even if 99% of it is covered. In that case even if someone saw it they probably wouldn't say anything because common sense would tell them you are concealed, but if someone is going to put up a sign, that could mean they are true anti and they might be looking to "pick a fight" and won't hesitate to say something or call LE.
Just my .02

cbxer55

I cover up with a shirt all the time, in an OWB holster. And I do not wear loose fitting shirts either. Been doing so since 2003, nary a comment from anyone. When I do wear a tucked holster, it is still under a somewhat tight fitting shirt, my wife has told me she can tell it is there. Others I have told about my CCing, replied they never knew I had a gun on me. I carry a Kimber CDP II 1911, so it is a rather large handgun. And looking in a mirror, when I bend in certain ways, the outline is there. Like I said, never a comment from anyone since 2003. Same goes for the spare magazine or two on my left side.

hrdware

Hey there folks.. I've got a "what if" situation that I just dreamed up. Personally I have found that just carrying my sidearm OWB under a t-shirt considerably more comfy, kinda "covered up" but definitely not a cellphone, than shirt tucked in and wide open carrying. I haven't encountered conceal only signs yet but figure it won't be long. My dilemma and I believe I know the answer I guess is I prolly will need to leave my weapon in the car or just not go in. I would assume in the eyes of the law that it isn't properly concealed by just being covered up by a t-shirt. I also feel that if a business post conceal only they are more concerned with the reaction to open carry by other customers than their personal reaction. Would like to hear some thoughts.

Ever since I got my permit back in 1998, I have carried in an OWB with just a t-shirt covering it up. Never had an issue.

pfries

Definitions are a bit convoluted in my opinion.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:

1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger;

2. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

3. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Last edited:

SSG Riser1981

concealed carry signs

I have seen one so far at Beans and Briar Cigar Oasis, I know the owner very well and am a member there. I know more than 50% of the members there carry but the owner is worried that some customers might be frightened of open carry and has stated he will reconsider once he can guage the local atmosphere and then he might change it. I believe he is trying to find a middle ground for all of his patrons.