• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

83rd Texas Legislative Session

pooley

Just an FYI....

Early filing for bills begins Monday, November 12th.

The session begins January 8th.

Now might be a good time to start calling and/or writing letters if you haven't already. :)

()pen(arry

That sh'tbag Joe Straus going to be Speaker again? If so, I'm not expecting any movement on OC :(

EDIT: Sorry, I took the wrong tone here. I genuinely believe that the current Texas Republican agenda will keep OC off the table. However, I also think there's a chance that Texas Republicans can, in the next four to eight years, be forced to modify their agenda. So there's hope. I just think we'll get marijuana legalized before we get OC, and that's saying something.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Just an FYI....

Early filing for bills begins Monday, November 12th.

The session begins January 8th.

Now might be a good time to start calling and/or writing letters if you haven't already. :)

The time to have legislation ready for the 83rd Legislature was May 30, 2011.

pooley

That's the "if you haven't already" part.

First bills are in. Not much to get excited about just yet :p

Last edited:

pooley

I must be looking in the wrong place. I can't seem to find any bills filed for this session. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Check the links in my sig for the status of any gun-related bills. I keep track of them whenever the legislature is in session.

If you want to see all the bills and resolutions filed, go to the official state site at http://www.legis.state.tx.us
From there you can do keyword searches.

To see a list of all bills/resolutions filed on a certain day or by a certain representative/senator go to http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Reports/BillsBy.aspx
Then click go next to the type of list you want to see.

EDIT: Also, make sure 83(R) - 2013 is selected in the dropdown box. That's the upcoming session for which these bills are being introduced.

Last edited:

Ravendove

EDIT: Also, make sure 83(R) - 2013 is selected in the dropdown box. That's the upcoming session for which these bills are being introduced.

Thanks. It was that drop down menu that I missed. I was wondering why all I could find were bills from last session.

Now, I've gone through from top to bottom and I don't see any open carry bills. Am I missing it or has it not been filed yet?

Last edited:

jsimmons

Yes, I spoke with George last week and he will be fliing the bill in January. Check out his Facebook page, and you can see some of what he is saying about the bills chances this year.

Why wait? Isn't that part of the reason the last attempt failed? It should have been filed on the day that early filing started. Is this more of that "baby-step" crap?

matt dillon

if george lavender could have file early he should have what the hold up anyway I hope he try the companion bill

To save time, the same bill can be introduced into the House of Representatives and Senate at the same time. Each is issued it's own number. eg... The House bill will be HBxxxx, and the Senate bill will be SByyyy even though they are the same bill. If both bills pass in their respective chamber, they are not sent to the other chamber. They would go directly to the governor as long as they both had either no amendments or had the same amendments.

jsimmons

We need to get someone to file a 2nd Amendment Protection bill, like Wyoming has on their docket. (If we ask Lavender to do it, it won't be filed until the next session, and by then it will be too late.)