• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and TX?

OkieOutlaw

I travel down into TX quite frequently and have always carried CC as I do everywhere I go. My question is now that OC is legal in OK will TX authorities recognize that if you are encountered in TX while OC'ing.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Correct. No open carry in TX (practically speaking). I travel there myself once or twice a year. Handguns must even be concealed in a vehicle, but even putting a rag or shirt over a firearm stuffed between the seat and console suffices.

You must obey the laws of the state you are in, over the laws of the state that issued your permit, even if recognized in the state you are in.

www.handgunlaw.us is a frequently-updated site that has proven to be a good resource. Check each state you will travel into EACH time you travel to make sure you are current.

Last edited:

Robert318

I travel down into TX quite frequently and have always carried CC as I do everywhere I go. My question is now that OC is legal in OK will TX authorities recognize that if you are encountered in TX while OC'ing.

Here is a link for Texas Law concerning hand guns.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

Hope this is helpful and I do agree and was advised by my attorney to always call and check with the state authority having jurisdiction even if a web site says its ok or that they honor Oklahoma permits in order to stay current with their laws when traveling.

rushcreek2

Texas still suffers under its original ill-concieved 1996 Class A misdemeanor restriction applied to handgun licensees provided by Section 46.035a of the Texas Penal Code for INTENTIONAL failure to conceal.

When down there I wear an IWB holster incorporating some form of plausible INTENTIONAL cover . I have not has a problem during my 16 years of so carrying in Texas even if my INTENTION to maintain concealment wasn't always 100 % perfectly successful.

Hopefully Texas will catch up with Oklahoma during their next legislative session starting in January. Fairly embarassing situation I would think if they do not.

Last edited:

OkieOutlaw

Thanks

Thanks guys, You all voiced exactly what I was thinking. I have been CC'ing for several years now and have never encountered a problem. When stopped which has been very rarely. I always present my CCW right along with my DL and if asked I politely tell them where the weapon is located usually on my belt in the holster. I have yet to break my OC( around town in public) cherry so to speak as I have always felt that CC is much better than OC would be simply for not becoming a potential target myself. I have always felt it better that the bad guy find that I have a weapon after he commits himself to violence. I am really glad that we got the law changed as it gets rid of all those silly printing laws or inadvertantly showing of the weapon. To each his own I guess. I remember last year the wife and I had gone on a poker run on the trike and during one of the fuel stops I decided to take off the hoodie I was wearing and just wear the tshirt as the weather was getting warm. I took off my leather coat and laid it on the seat of the trike as I pulled off the hoodie and as always the tshirt tried to come up with it. I had totally forgotten about the Glock 19 in the IWB holster as it is almost permanently attached at least if I have pants on.LOL I never thought a thing about it until my wife pointed out that I was showing my gun to anyone around who might be paying attention. I just carefully pulled the tshirt back down to cover the weapon and luckily no one noticed or at least made any comment and did not see anyone overtly staring in my direction. We continued and finished the ride that day but I have been much more carefull since that incident. I guess we can all get so used to carrying a firearm on a daily basis that we can inadvertantly forget we even have it on.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I have always felt it better that the bad guy find that I have a weapon after he commits himself to violence...

That's a common saying among those who don't/won't OC. But you'll read a lot around here, if you stick around (please do), that might help you see that my idea is even better:

I have always felt it better that the bad guy finds out that I have a weapon, and therefore does not commit himself to violence.

hermannr

No, there are exceptions, but generally, no OC in TX.

However, as to OC v CC...may I say...an informed criminal tends to be an intelligent criminal. Most of them are cowards, they do not want you to be able to resist, so they just bypass those that OC for easier (safer for them) victims.

I prefer not to have any encounter so I OC and put the BG on notice...I can and will resist, it may come out badly for you. 42+years and it has worked so far.

OkieOutlaw

Thanks again

Like I said in my previous post "To each his own" I have been CC'ing for over thirty years now and fully intend to continue to do so, with the exception of while hunting or just taking care of things on the farm. I live in far south central OK right on the TX border hence the original intent of the question as I travel across the border almost weekly. Living in such a small community I sometimes even wonder about the need to carry at all much less parade around this small town displaying an openly carried gun. I can hear the laughter now.