Thread: Help!

Exclamation Help!

I have been doing a lot of reading and have stumbled upon a LOT of conflicting information regard OC in California/Los Angeles...

I just need a straight forward answer regarding whether I CAN or CAN NOT open carry in my area? With "AB144" being passed and all that?

Any advice or help or answers will be awesome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Shane (L.A.)

Welcome aboard. Hope you browse & learn.

To address your question, I believe the answer is no.
    Here's the OCDO page about CA laws: http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=205
    From the summary at the top of that page:
    Open carry is generally prohibited except in unincorporated areas where the county has not made open carry illegal, or, pursuant to a CA open carry permit issued and valid only in a county with a population of less than 200,000 persons.
    Toward the bottom of the page there are several links to more information you might find helpful.

Shane,

MKEgal's post is spot on in my opinion. You happen to be unlucky enough to live in a state that does not believe in Constitutional rights. Until you can get your legislature to understand that the only people their "gun control" laws are helping are the criminals, you are pretty much screwed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Cool

Carrying guns in California? You got to be kidding me! I lived there for 26 years, never dared even think about it. I was a member of CRPA for many of those years. Moved to Oklahoma in 2002, got my ccw permit in 2003. Am on my second now and it's for ten years. And now we can carry open legally, starting Nov. 1.

According to the law, carry on your property is legal. Carry in unincorported areas, where not specifically prohibited is legal. You have to read the law carefully. It doesn't totally prohibit open carry.
    Hoka hey

Unfortunate...

This is sad...not the answer I was HOPING for...well now that I can not OC, does ANYBODY know how hard it is to get a CC or OC permit in CA???? THANKS!?

When I lived there, I recall just about impossible. It is totally up to the local Police Chief in your city. If he is gun friendly, you'll probably get one. But there are not too many gun friendly chiefs out west anymore, they're all libtards.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 11-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shanewhite View Post
    This is sad...not the answer I was HOPING for...well now that I can not OC, does ANYBODY know how hard it is to get a CC or OC permit in CA???? THANKS!?
    Presuming you live in Glendora, CA.
    OC Licenses are only issued in counties with a population no more then 200,000...Since your in LA County that's not an option.
    CC Licenses are issued by the Sheriff of the County in which you reside or the Chief of Police for the City in which you reside.

So, that leaves you 2 theoretical options for obtaining a License to Carry (LTC) Licenses issued by the LA County Sheriff are EXTREMELY rare, but not completely impossible. In 2011 Glendora PD had 3 LTCs issued; 2 to Reserve Officers and 1 to a 'Civilian'

LA County bans discharge of a firearm except in designated areas so Loaded Open Carry without a license is also EXTREMELY difficult. However, there are exemptions available for Unloaded Open Carry (See the sticky about Nullifying 26350 Through Exemptions)

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    When I lived there, I recall just about impossible. It is totally up to the local Police Chief in your city. If he is gun friendly, you'll probably get one. But there are not too many gun friendly chiefs out west anymore, they're all libtards.
    By Geography its relatively easy to get a License to Carry Concealed in CA. The areas where its hard to near-impossible is the coastal regions from the Bay Area to San Diego with the immediate San Francisco, San Jose & LA Areas being the hardest.

Question Thanks...a couple more questions...

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    Presuming you live in Glendora, CA.
    OC Licenses are only issued in counties with a population no more then 200,000...Since your in LA County that's not an option.
    CC Licenses are issued by the Sheriff of the County in which you reside or the Chief of Police for the City in which you reside.

So, that leaves you 2 theoretical options for obtaining a License to Carry (LTC) Licenses issued by the LA County Sheriff are EXTREMELY rare, but not completely impossible. In 2011 Glendora PD had 3 LTCs issued; 2 to Reserve Officers and 1 to a 'Civilian'

LA County bans discharge of a firearm except in designated areas so Loaded Open Carry without a license is also EXTREMELY difficult. However, there are exemptions available for Unloaded Open Carry (See the sticky about Nullifying 26350 Through Exemptions)
    Thank you so much for your help! and the info! Yes, I live in Glendora, so I am just going to give up on the idea of obtaining a LTC here. Now, I do not really understand your closing statement...regarding exemptions for unloaded open carry and the sticky...??? Can you please ellaborate on that?

Thank you so much for your help! and the info! Yes, I live in Glendora, so I am just going to give up on the idea of obtaining a LTC here. Now, I do not really understand your closing statement...regarding exemptions for unloaded open carry and the sticky...??? Can you please ellaborate on that?
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ugh-Exemptions
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Wow, your information was great thank you so much! It is just all wayyyy too complicated...this is ridiculous!!!

Now, I have a further question stirring around in my head...how likely is it that this law will change soon? Is it goingn to be this way for a long while or is this temporary????

Please advise?

Wow, your information was great thank you so much! It is just all wayyyy too complicated...this is ridiculous!!!

Now, I have a further question stirring around in my head...how likely is it that this law will change soon? Is it goingn to be this way for a long while or is this temporary????

Please advise?
    LTC reform is actively being fought by the CalGuns Foundation via their "Sunshine Initiative"
    http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/res...nitiative.html

As far as Open Carry in CA ... changes for that are likely much further out.

Help!

One way to get a LTC is death threats to you and if you own a business and make regular money drops to a bank I know several people who have gotten it that way as well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I believe carry on your property must be within a closed off area of your property.

You cant carry in your front yard.
    That's generally true, but if your yard is fenced off, or otherwise proven to be inaccessible to the public, you could open carry there. Unfortunately, the courts are reigning in the applicability of your fourth and second amendment rights to a an area in which can only be seen by you, and not by others. It's hard for people to learn about and embrace those rights if they don't see them in practice, and without negative stigma
    Last edited by Save Our State; 11-23-2012 at 10:19 AM.