• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Store will not sell guns to those who voted for Obama.

Freedom1Man

http://www.examiner.com/article/ari...-voters-turn-around-and-leave?cid=db_articles

“If you voted for Barack Obama Your business is not welcome at Southwest Shooting Authority.
You have proven you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

An Arizona-based firearms dealer is refusing to do business with gun owners or potential gun buyers who voted for Barack Obama, and whether it costs him money, he is providing those potential customers with what he considers an object lesson about actions and consequences.

--------

Good bad or otherwise. Your thoughts?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
His choice as a private business owner. My guess is that the vast majority of those who would be buying a gun probably didn't vote for Obama in the first place, so I don't see a huge impact on his business. The real question is how would he know who voted for Obama anyways? More than likely a publicity stunt.

KYKevin

http://www.examiner.com/article/ari...-voters-turn-around-and-leave?cid=db_articles

“If you voted for Barack Obama Your business is not welcome at Southwest Shooting Authority.
You have proven you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

An Arizona-based firearms dealer is refusing to do business with gun owners or potential gun buyers who voted for Barack Obama, and whether it costs him money, he is providing those potential customers with what he considers an object lesson about actions and consequences.

--------

Good bad or otherwise. Your thoughts?

It is his right to sell to whoever he wants. But seriously how does he know who you voted for? Also I am sure there are other gun stores around who will take their money. So he will probably also learn a lesson about actions and consequences. Because consequences then become actions and they have consequences. Seems like an exercise in futility to me. But if it makes him feel better more power to him. It is his way of speaking out and I support that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Your thoughts?

He's opening a can of worms. Saying someone is not responsible enough to own a firearm for political beliefs or activities is just a plain dangerous slope. What's he gonna do when the argument gets traction that some dealers are too irresponsible to sell firearms because they do too little to prevent them falling into criminal hands? Oh, wait...

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

It reminds me of the guy who was running a business and had his costs go up because of something Obama did.

He had to fire people to stay in business. He went out to the parking lot and fired everyone who had a "vote for Obama" sticker on their car.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It reminds me of the guy who was running a business and had his costs go up because of something Obama did.

He had to fire people to stay in business. He went out to the parking lot and fired everyone who had a "vote for Obama" sticker on their car.

(chuckle) Of course, if he was honest about it, he'd realize the Republicans had just as much to do with his costs and regulations, and fire those bumper-stickers, too. Then he might have too few to operate. :)

EMNofSeattle

A relative of mine used to work at Harborview Medical Center in seattle, and he knew a king county deputy who claimed he wrote tickets out to cars with obama stickers, he'd literally cruise behind a vehicle with an obama sticker wait for them to do something wrong, then ticket them. at least this is what I was told 4th hand, i have no idea if the deputy really even exists and since i have no name on him can't verify. but still an entertaining story.

Redbaron007

Not being an FFL dealer, I'm not versed in the legalese of when they can refuse to sell a gun. However, based upon anecdotal conversations with local FFLs, they thought they could. :eek:

Makes for a good feel good story. Not sure I would do that as that particular business owner.

eye95

An FFL can refuse to sell a gun to anyone he is concerned is not qualified to purchase a firearm, regardless of the answers provided on the 4473. We are instructed at work that if we have any reason to believe that someone is not qualified to purchase a firearm, we are to turn them down flat--and management will back us up.

They may discuss with us at another time the criteria we used and advise us against using that criteria in the future. Of course, if we show incorrigibly horrible judgment in this regard, we could find ourselves working in health and beauty.

That being said, I would never deny a firearm to someone because they voted stupidly--and anyone who voted for Obama voted stupidly. (Caveat: I did not say that they were stupid, just that they voted stupidly.)

Almost everyone coming by the counter is pretty well making it clear that they voted against Obama. The ones who have not indicated so are saying nothing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not being an FFL dealer, I'm not versed in the legalese of when they can refuse to sell a gun. However, based upon anecdotal conversations with local FFLs, they thought they could. :eek:

Makes for a good feel good story. Not sure I would do that as that particular business owner.

FFLs have their rules (based on laws) where they cannot sell. They can refuse to sell a gun to anyone. I don't think that they should be able to but I have not seen any cases supporting this viewpoint.

I don't think a FFL should do anything but follow the laws in respect to not selling to an unqualified person; if they are qualified, they should sell the gun. I was a FFL outside Chicago and sold hundreds of guns to Chicago folks well before Heller/McDonald .... I was not under the jurisdiction of Chicago. Chicago loved me lol. I told Daley I sold thousands of guns to his constituents and thanked him for the business. He was pissed. I told him his gun ban was unconstitutional. He said he could do whatever he wanted. hahahaha ... he outlasted his father though, who was an a---hole of course. Upon his death, I'll dance a jig.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
FFLs have their rules (based on laws) where they cannot sell. They can refuse to sell a gun to anyone. I don't think that they should be able to but I have not seen any cases supporting this viewpoint.

I don't think a FFL should do anything but follow the laws in respect to not selling to an unqualified person; if they are qualified, they should sell the gun. I was a FFL outside Chicago and sold hundreds of guns to Chicago folks well before Heller/McDonald .... I was not under the jurisdiction of Chicago. Chicago loved me lol. I told Daley I sold thousands of guns to his constituents and thanked him for the business. He was pissed. I told him his gun ban was unconstitutional. He said he could do whatever he wanted. hahahaha ... he outlasted his father though, who was an a---hole of course. Upon his death, I'll dance a jig.

Don't forget to send a card Mark Twain style.

Twain remarked, when some famous scoundrel died, that he sent a nice card saying he was unable to attend the funeral, but he approved of it.

Regarding another scoundrel, or perhaps politician, Twain said he would gladly supply the rope.

And, regarding the fella who sold him the Mexican Plug, he wrote that should he learn of the seller's death, he would postpone all other recreations and attend the funeral. (The Mexican Plug was a horse so onery nobody could ride him. Its a hilarious story. Probably available on-line.)

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

"That! Mr. Mayor, is exactly why we're keeping our guns!"