• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in the country. What happens you don't see

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've poked at VCDL over its hunters with CHP's attitude long enough. Lots of things happen out of cell phone range that few people get to see.
This is a game camera series from the last Deer I shot last week. It takes me about a minute to reload each time I shoot.

I shot a Deer. That's what I and many other non CHP people do this time of year and we can not carry a handgun.
shot1.jpg

I field dressed it and walked a half mile to where I parked my ATV. Came back, loaded the Deer and left just after dark.

shot2.jpg

A little later a Bear followed the scent. I have no idea how far but he was there.

shot3-1.jpg

In the morning the most dangerous thing in Virginia showed up following the scent. That's a pack of Feral dogs. I'll have to kill them at some point but not with a muzzleloader.

shot4.jpg

This is even more pronounced during bow season when I have to trail the Deer further.
So yes VCDL, country people and hunters would like a little representation too.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I haven't followed the situation with VCDL, so I can't comment thereon.

But, the game camera is really cool.

The most dangerous animals in VA are an especially vicious group of (ho)mo sapiens. Like the dogs in the photos above, they seem to run in packs. They are found in the legislature and Boards of Supervisors. But, I know that wasn't the context Peter meant. Just sayin.

PS: I find it hilarious that the forum software bleeped out the first Latin word above, forcing me to be tricky.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've poked at VCDL over its hunters with CHP's attitude long enough. Lots of things happen out of cell phone range that few people get to see.
This is a game camera series from the last Deer I shot last week. It takes me about a minute to reload each time I shoot.

I shot a Deer. That's what I and many other non CHP people do this time of year and we can not carry a handgun.

I field dressed it and walked a half mile to where I parked my ATV. Came back, loaded the Deer and left just after dark.

A little later a Bear followed the scent. I have no idea how far but he was there.

In the morning the most dangerous thing in Virginia showed up following the scent. That's a pack of Feral dogs. I'll have to kill them at some point but not with a muzzleloader.

This is even more pronounced during bow season when I have to trail the Deer further.
So yes VCDL, country people and hunters would like a little representation too.

3. Licensed trappers may shoot wild animals caught in traps on any day of the week during the seasons prescribed in subsection A in order to dispatch such animal. No additional licenses are required other than a valid Virginia trapping license.
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+29.1-530

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Peter Nap do the Virginia hunting regulations prohibit hunters from carrying more than one gun, or carrying a revolver carbine during blackpowder seasons? I realize that either choice would be of no use (legally) during bow season without the magical CHP, but during blackpowder hunting seasons it might be an expensive workaround.

The continued CHP requirement to have a useful defensive arm when hunting is downright goofy. I don't understand how VCDL wouldn't consider this problem as part of their base level issue, since it's not really anything that affects the hunting itself, like a change of when one could hunt.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter Nap do the Virginia hunting regulations prohibit hunters from carrying more than one gun, or carrying a revolver carbine during blackpowder seasons? I realize that either choice would be of no use (legally) during bow season without the magical CHP, but during blackpowder hunting seasons it might be an expensive workaround.

The continued CHP requirement to have a useful defensive arm when hunting is downright goofy. I don't understand how VCDL wouldn't consider this problem as part of their base level issue, since it's not really anything that affects the hunting itself, like a change of when one could hunt.

No, you can carry more than one rifle or shotgun but that is impractical for the most part. You could carry a revolving carbine but again, it's an impractical hunting weapon....kinda like carrying a bayonet as a skinning knife.

I could also carry a handgun and never get caught. Many do....but I could also do the same thing in downtown Richmond and never get caught....many do!

I'm still trying to figure how the trapping regulation fits in but it is P4P in a very limited way. Most trappers don't shoot what's in the trap anyway.

VCDL membership is very weak south of Central Virginia. Mostly because there is little benefit from it. That doesn't mean VCDL is a bad organization because it certainly is not. It just isn't for ALL gun owners, mainly for CHP holders which is where it started.

The CHP during Bow and ML season as well as carry in WMA's and the National Forest is bad. Philip mentions baby steps often but looking at issues they undertake and do not go through that year, they are rarely ever introduced again unless they are Urban or CHP related. Basically the baby stops walking and takes a nap.

Next Saturday I can carry what I please again, legally. I'm just wondering why an organization that would expend the time and energy it took to allow everyone to shoot BB guns in their yard, can't put out a little effort to allow everyone to carry defensive handguns while hunting.

TFred

Maybe better than nothing: Build a glovebox onto your ATV!

:)

TFred

Admission: I didn't take the time to consider whether or not this would bypass the law that is disarming you...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe better than nothing: Build a glovebox onto your ATV!

:)

TFred

Admission: I didn't take the time to consider whether or not this would bypass the law that is disarming you...

I have a glovebox and a batch of other secure containers, but that wouldn't bypass the law.
That's not really the point anyway. This is more exasperated soul searching out loud. Kind of a "Why I don't belong to the Denver Colorado Community Improvement Association" type thing.

2a4all

No, you can carry more than one rifle or shotgun but that is impractical for the most part. You could carry a revolving carbine but again, it's an impractical hunting weapon....kinda like carrying a bayonet as a skinning knife.

I could also carry a handgun and never get caught. Many do....but I could also do the same thing in downtown Richmond and never get caught....many do!

I'm still trying to figure how the trapping regulation fits in but it is P4P in a very limited way. Most trappers don't shoot what's in the trap anyway.

VCDL membership is very weak south of Central Virginia. Mostly because there is little benefit from it. That doesn't mean VCDL is a bad organization because it certainly is not. It just isn't for ALL gun owners, mainly for CHP holders which is where it started.

The CHP during Bow and ML season as well as carry in WMA's and the National Forest is bad. Philip mentions baby steps often but looking at issues they undertake and do not go through that year, they are rarely ever introduced again unless they are Urban or CHP related. Basically the baby stops walking and takes a nap.

Next Saturday I can carry what I please again, legally. I'm just wondering why an organization that would expend the time and energy it took to allow everyone to shoot BB guns in their yard, can't put out a little effort to allow everyone to carry defensive handguns while hunting.
I'm at the VCDL table at every gun show held in the Hampton Convention Center. We get a lot of traffic at our table, and we answer a lot of questions, but very few are from hunters. Could it be that hunters have a different outlook about handguns than we do? Perhaps it's due to their relationship (they all have one) with Conservation Officers (aka Game Wardens), i.e if you're in the woods with a weapon that's out of season, you're illegally hunting. Hikers who OC and don't have a CHP might also encounter this mindset.

This "guilty until you prove your innocence" approach needs to be fixed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm at the VCDL table at every gun show held in the Hampton Convention Center. We get a lot of traffic at our table, and we answer a lot of questions, but very few are from hunters. Could it be that hunters have a different outlook about handguns than we do? Perhaps it's due to their relationship (they all have one) with Conservation Officers (aka Game Wardens), i.e if you're in the woods with a weapon that's out of season, you're illegally hunting. Hikers who OC and don't have a CHP might also encounter this mindset.

No, its a little deeper than that. Most of us never see a CO while hunting. They don't get out of the car much.
Big Game Hunters have been carrying handguns since long before I was born.

Small Game, Duck and Bird Hunters, not as much....but the question is, what does VCDL offer them in exchange for the membership?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Makes as much sense as "hunting boots" being prima facia evidence of hunting. :uhoh: