• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why in Oregon do you open carry ?

SigsP229

I carry concealed and find I am invisible to the world, no one pays me no never mind while I have my 40cal P229 tucked under my shirt.
It shows no more then my cell phone.
I was in the store the other day and an open carry person was right near me with a shoulder holster clear as can be looked like a 357 Taurus.
I understand that some can not get a concealed for what ever reason, but I have not understood why people want others to know they carry ?
I am guess there is more then constitutional rights as the reason as that would not make much sense to show it for no need,so forgive my ignorance by why is it important for others to see your gun ? But being there is a whole website here dedicated to it I was curious.

I joined to learn about open carry laws, I already know about concealed that's why I am here to learn but then it had me wondering
um why do people for lack of another word show off their piece? Or make a point of it ?

And I am all for everyone's rights just wondered.

Thanks

Sig

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Hi!
I'm a frog. I have bulging eyes, a big mouth, and strong back legs for jumping; just like my regular cousin the green tree frog.
123063-glass-frog-lg.jpg

Unlike my cousin I have something about me that stands out, really makes me noticed by predators and things that want to eat me.
prd_010165.jpg

My cousin's get eaten all the time, but predators seem to leave me and other frogs that look like me alone. I'm not sure why.... can you figure it out?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OC provides for a passive (non active/no touch) defense (1) and is educational to the general public (2).

1) Don't want to be a victim? Then don't look like a victim.

2) No one would ever ask me/us about self-defense laws if they couldn't see it would they?

SigsP229

Hi and thanks for the response, not sure I got the frog one ? I mean I get the logic but was not sure as a whole it addressed the OC use.

1) Don't want to be a victim? Then don't look like a victim.

2) No one would ever ask me/us about self-defense laws if they couldn't see it would they?

It may be easier for long term members here know why but I have serious legitimate questions.

I am not sure I understood the first one, most person to person crimes do not occur in broad day light and public areas which was were my question was more directed. And if I am in a dark alley know one can see my gun? So avoiding victimization by OC I'd have to go hmmmm on that one a bit. Carrying makes sense for any personal protection, it is the visibility I am unclear of. I notice many people post on here of making points of where they went and what looks, reactions or lack of they get so the more I read on the more it was confusing.

Number two answer sure makes sense I guess I drive a classic truck and if I did not drive it
people wouldn't come up and ask me about it. So I guess that makes sense.

I think I am stuck at least on this response of a victim avoidance technique.

Appreciate the response :)

I guess should add that if every one OC's I think crime would be down, I guess maybe why it is confusing here as allot of people carry and are armed here my self included around here it is assumed the person you approach is armed as most are.
We have allot of CHL's here and even OC are pretty noticeable. Every one hunts, shoots and has at least a dozen guns LOL

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The orange or golden frog advertises the danger to predators, in effect OCing.
http://oddstuffmagazine.com/7-most-deadly-poisonous-frogs-through-out-the-globe.html

There is more to not looking like a victim, but nevertheless OC is an excellent beginning. :)

You seem to imply that because dark alleys exist, that you would not chose to OC anywhere, any time - strange basis for a decision. Many more times the genuine need for a defensive tool occurs in areas well lighted or in broad daylight.

Insofar as being in a dark alley, I can't relate to that as I don't frequent (ever?) dark alleys.

hermannr

I carry concealed and find I am invisible to the world, no one pays me no never mind while I have my 40cal P229 tucked under my shirt.
I was in the store the other day and an open carry person was right near me with a shoulder holster clear as can be looked like a 357 Taurus.
I understand that some can not get a concealed for what ever reason, but I have not understood why people want others to know they carry ?
I am guess there is more then constitutional rights as the reason as that would not make much sense to show it for no need,so forgive my ignorance by why is it important for others to see your gun ? But being there is a whole website here dedicated to it I was curious.

I joined to learn about open carry laws, I already know about concealed that's why I am here to learn but then it had me wondering
um why do people for lack of another word show off their piece? Or make a point of it ?

Thanks

Sig

I OC, and have OC'd in OR, ID and WA (and other states) over the last 42+ years, to inform those that would do me harm that I am prepared to defend myself...I have a WA CPL, but I normally do not conceal (unless it is really cold and I have a coat on) So far it has worked for me.

The reason...very good chance the BG's will not bother me. That is the frog story in a nut shell. Bother me and there is a good chance it may be harmful to you. An informed criminal can make a more intelligent choice...just leave me be, and I'll leave you be. I never go looking for trouble, and do my best to stay away from any place where trouble may find me.

After a couple tours in Vietnam I decided I really did not like confrontation...I would rather prevent confrontation, than react to it. Now that I am part of the grumpy, gimpy, gray haired, SS crowd, that holds even more true.

I also have another more personal reason, but as most people misunderstand, I will spare you...if you see one of my older posts, you may see it, just read carefully and you won't misunderstand what I am saying.

SigsP229

The orange or golden frog advertises the danger to predators, in effect OCing.
http://oddstuffmagazine.com/7-most-deadly-poisonous-frogs-through-out-the-globe.html

There is more to not looking like a victim, but nevertheless OC is an excellent beginning. :)

You seem to imply that because dark alleys exist, that you would not chose to OC anywhere, any time - strange basis for a decision. Many more times the genuine need for a defensive tool occurs in areas well lighted or in broad daylight.

Insofar as being in a dark alley, I can't relate to that as I don't frequent (ever?) dark alleys.

I guess it is why I asked, I see no real practical use to OC really I joined to try and get an idea and after joining and reading here I really did not see a clear path of why OC as opposed to just getting a CHL ?

SigsP229

I OC, and have OC'd in OR, ID and WA (and other states) over the last 42+ years, to inform those that would do me harm that I am prepared to defend myself...I have a WA CPL, but I normally do not conceal (unless it is really cold and I have a coat on) So far it has worked for me.

The reason...very good chance the BG's will not bother me. That is the frog story in a nut shell. Bother me and there is a good chance it may be harmful to you. An informed criminal can make a more intelligent choice...just leave me be, and I'll leave you be. I never go looking for trouble, and do my best to stay away from any place where trouble may find me.

After a couple tours in Vietnam I decided I really did not like confrontation...I would rather prevent confrontation, than react to it. Now that I am part of the grumpy, gimpy, gray haired, SS crowd, that holds even more true.

I also have another more personal reason, but as most people misunderstand, I will spare you...if you see one of my older posts, you may see it, just read carefully and you won't misunderstand what I am saying.

I agree with your view completely except I see using my CHL as avoiding conflict and only OC when actually using it for work or something that requires me to have it out and available. I think I see where I differ I prefer to respond to a situation only as needed, and not prevent it as I feel if I give anyone an edge by knowing I am armed and if OC I can only prevent certain situations. If I CHL then the surprise is always mine to any evil doer. I guess my view is also from my up bringing where showing my hand and making the enemy aware only gave them an edge, if they were unsure or did not know the edge was mine. Great conversation thank you for sharing it greatly helped.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I guess it is why I asked, I see no real practical use to OC really I joined to try and get an idea and after joining and reading here I really did not see a clear path of why OC as opposed to just getting a CHL ?

I agree with your view completely except I see using my CHL as avoiding conflict and only OC when actually using it for work or something that requires me to have it out and available. I think I see where I differ I prefer to respond to a situation only as needed, and not prevent it as I feel if I give anyone an edge by knowing I am armed and if OC I can only prevent certain situations. If I CHL then the surprise is always mine to any evil doer. I guess my view is also from my up bringing where showing my hand and making the enemy aware only gave them an edge, if they were unsure or did not know the edge was mine. Great conversation thank you for sharing it greatly helped.

Please not the "element of surprise" argument. That in itself indicates that the problem has already occurred - prefer avoidance rather than having to actively engage.

Suggest spending some time with OCers and see first hand the beneficial effects and share in their experiences.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I have my 40cal P229 tucked under my shirt.

why do people for lack of another word show off their piece? Or make a point of it ?...

It's a fair question, especially with the amount of in-your-face YouTubers making OC rather infamous in some places (I'm not saying that it helps or hurts overall, just stating the fact.) But your question implies that is the only reason for OC. When, in fact, it is the least common reason in states like NV, AZ, and UT (the three states I spend most of my time in.)

I much prefer to dress with a tucked in, collared shirt. OC is a far more comfortable choice of carry, especially with a full-size sidearm.

Just because you can see someone is carrying, don't assume seeing it was the primary intention. It may just be a side benefit of a preferred method to carry.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Thanks

Sig
Are you looking for a reason to OC, or, are you looking for a law in OR that states that you can OC?

To the CC benefits. I CC when required by law in my state, the benefit being that I am not subject to criminal sanctions.

To the benefits of OC. I OC because I'm not prohibited by law from OCing.

My experience compels me to OC because OC will deter your average criminal. The hardened criminal, the exception to the criminal class in my view, will not be deterred at all by the citizen who is CC. The hardened criminal may be deterred if he sees that I am armed. But, the hardened criminal must consider the risk vs. the reward for engaging a armed opponent.

Criminals timid and hardened are not envious of assuming room temperature, to my knowledge. Criminals tend to covet their ill gotten gains once obtained. Their zest for life is used to my advantage when I OC. I must attempt to remind them of their zest for life when I CC.

VW_Factor

Thanks

Sig

I OC and find that mostly I am invisible to the world as well. No one really ever pays me any mind at all.

You're welcome

aa1911

a bit off of the point you are making but as a WA resident, I can only OC in OR as they won't issue CCW permits to out of staters unless you can get special permission due to work, etc.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I can only OC in OR as they won't issue CCW permits to out of staters unless you can get special permission due to work, etc.

OR, by state law, is shall-issue to residents, but still allows issue to non-residents. Each county has its own requirements for issuing to non-residents. There are some counties which will issue to a non-resident without requiring landowner or employment status.

Grant and Josephine Counties were known to issue to non-residents.

Last edited:

hermannr

I see you don't quite understand...I don't want any interaction...at all. I would just rather the BG's would leave me alone. An informed BG can make an intelligent choice and just leave me and mine be.

Secondly, I have OC'd for over 42 years, I have had no bad interactions with LE or normal citizens, I have had one insident where the person that wished to do me harm, saw my carry and decided he had other things to do elsewhere... My carry never left it's holster, I did not have to interact with LE over my actions, and everyone went home that night. That is successful carry.

45 Fan

...all i can say is this guy is a wannabe troll...if he can't see that the main purpose of OC is to deter a criminal from assaulting you. Unlike the vast majority of citizens who don't notice my sidearm, those criminals sizing you up, will notice. They will also move onto something much easier.

JoeSparky

Centurion
...all i can say is this guy is a wannabe troll...if he can't see that the main purpose of OC is to deter a criminal from assaulting you. Unlike the vast majority of citizens who don't notice my sidearm, those criminals sizing you up, will notice. They will also move onto something much easier.

OR they won't and may suffer some severe complications! LOL

Jared

Thanks

Sig

Another thing to think about. Oregon law requires that some weapons always be carried openly, like switchblades, billy clubs etc. It's also possible that someone could be carrying a pistol with a switchblade attached to their belt near a holstered pistol.

Even with a CHL, (assuming you live in Oregon or otherwise qualify for a CHL) you cannot conceal carry certain weapons like automatic knives, blackjacks etc.

Jeff. State

Banned
It's not, if it was I'd put a flashing light and a beeper on it. Otoh it's not important to me to have them not see it.

In most states CC is asking for permission from the government, OC is a Right.

Exactly! I OC because, I'm not going to "ask/beg" The State if I can CC.