• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-mart scenerio

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
http://www.wave3.com/story/20061670/deadly-shooting-at-hillview-walmart

What would any of you do if present during this?
I've been asking myself the same question all day but have yet to come up with an answer.
Do you ignore and keep your name out of it?
Or possibly save lives by taking action?

The trick is to realize you don't have to do anything. After that compulsion is removed, it gets a little easier. Also, who says you would have time to do anything?

You could just be a good witness. If you don't have time to prevent the shooting, you can maybe get a license number of the shooter's car.

09jisaac

You couldn't do much. By the time you knew someone was shooting the woman would have already been dead. Since it is not an active shooter or any other prolonged event you could not have stopped anything.

I wouldn't take the chance, as I couldn't see anything being gained by doing anything.

EMNofSeattle

http://www.wave3.com/story/20061670/deadly-shooting-at-hillview-walmart

What would any of you do if present during this?
I've been asking myself the same question all day but have yet to come up with an answer.
Do you ignore and keep your name out of it?
Or possibly save lives by taking action?

There was a shooting at the Wal-Mart in my town, the shooter was actually an interstate kidnapper who was acting strange in the parking lot, so someone called 911 and reported a suspicious person, a pair of Kitsap Deputies arrived on scene, and after confronting him the kidnapper killed his kidnapee and injured the two deputies in a shootout, well a third deputy decided to roll on the call even though she wasn't specifically dispatched to the scene, she took the back loading dock road behind the Wal-Mart and when the shots fired call hit the radio she came up and popped the kidnapper from behind.

Now in case you're wondering why this is relevant, well it is, this means don't get involved in shootouts if its not nessecary, say you confront the shooter and kill him, and just as that happens a deputy rolls up behind you, she hears "shots fired" on the radio and sees someone with a gun and a dead body in front of them. it's more likely you'll be shot by responding officers. now if you are physically there when it happens, like in view where you can get a reasonable shot and there's no LEOs in sight then sure go ahead and try. but if you are not in view and not directly threatened I'd be cautious about getting yourself involved. cops have bullet proof vests, full sized duty handguns, two or more full reloads and a radio that can be used to quickly summon backup/SWAT/helicopter/ or whatever other support is available, and they're wearing uniforms that allow people to immediately presume they're not the criminal shooter. you don't nessecarily have all of that. And any LEOs that respond are going to be jumpy, so if you do stop the shooter you should immediately re-holster your pistol, I wouldn't want to have a gun in my hand when officer friendly arrives having been told someone's gone postal...

Last edited:

travis1911

You couldn't do much. By the time you knew someone was shooting the woman would have already been dead. Since it is not an active shooter or any other prolonged event you could not have stopped anything.

I wouldn't take the chance, as I couldn't see anything being gained by doing anything.

My only question is: how would you know at the time he wasn't just on a shooting spree? Could you just assume he was going to stop with the woman?

09jisaac

Could you just assume he was going to stop with the woman?

Yes. How many times is someone actually on a shooting spree? It is rare.

Always go with the most logical approach, since most shootings target only a specific victim (spouse, relative, victim of another crime, etc.) it would be best to assume that it isn't going to be another mass shooting. Also, it is safe to bet that if the shooter gets in a car and drives off, he isn't going to be killing anyone else where he left. He is already gone.

So you don't have to assume anything, take the facts (that you know) and make a decision.

kywildcat581

Not to mention, he may have been a quicker and better shot... then we would have 2 dead at wal-mart... the original victim.. and you...

Have to judge these scenario's wisely... and honestly i think you would have had to been there in order to accurately judge how you would have reacted