• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting night in Raleigh...and why restaurant/bar carry should be legal.

frogfish

My friend recently got accepted into a top 5 law school, so we decided to celebrate and hit some bars in Raleigh (the ones here in Durham suck :p ). Of course, I left my handgun locked in the truck as per NC laws, carry in any place where alcohol is served is prohibited. We hit 3 or 4 bars, enjoyed the company of some NCSU girls, and around 1:30 AM decided to head back. I didn't drink too much as I was driving, and we started to walk back. We parked over on Lane Street, which is pretty far from the hustle and bustle of Fayetteville St. About halfway back, I heard a "Hey you guys!". I turn around while keep walking and see a white male about late 20s approach us, with something in his hand. Upon closer look, I see red and chrome, and assume its some sort of utility knife. Now, I usually will acknowledge someone if they say "hi" or "hows it going", however I usually keep walking no matter what. But seeing this man with what appeared to be a knife, i turn around to face him, and pull out what may or may not have been a large switchblade I may or may not have been carring clipped to the inside of my jeans :rolleyes:. He sees whats in my hand, and stops dead in his tracks. "whoa man, I just need some money for a bus ticket. Do you want to buy my very nice pocket knife?" (Ha, i was correct). I tell him no thanks, and usher my friend along back to the truck. The guy stayed rooted to where he stopped. I had to say...my heart was pounding then.

Now, the night doesnt end there. As we are half a block away from my truck, we notice an African American female in a black jacket walking alongside parked cars, checking them for open doors. Surely, up to no good. Now, she turns and see that we are watching her, and she crosses the street in a path to intercept us. Again, my hand goes to what may or may not have been a large switchblade. :rolleyes: She walks up alongside us, and asks us where the police station is...weird question for someone who is looking to break into a car. Just as she finishes asking, a cruiser turns around the corner and she does a 180 and walks away from us. By this time, my truck was 100 feet away, so we just walk to the truck and I drive off.

Why the hell hasnt restaurant carry been passed yet? I'm sure a lot more people would feel safe and BE safe if they were allowed to carry in restaurants. Especially since if you are going out to eat in the city, you usually dont park right near the venue.

madcitysw

I don't know why the law hasn't law yet, but the thing is that I live right across the street from the local bar and I will tell you what. I had a couple guys from the bar walk to my door and bang on it. When I open you can smell the breathe out of their mouths and they either try to tell me SOS stories about they need money to support their child and etc. I mean really? How stupid are these people asking me this question with a firearm on my hip? To be honest... They do scare me and I also have this one black guy (who is not from the bar) will come out here once in a while knocking on my door for the same thing... Money or a ride home. I got tried of this guy and told him I would call the police if he shows up again, but about a month later he shows up at my door again which was last nite. He was begging for three dollars and I told him no and slam the door on his face. I really sick of dealing with these people who comes to you and begs for money. I got to deal with my own problems trying to pay my bills which I having problems at the moment. Just not getting the hours like I used to.

NC-Heel

So if restaurant carry was legal would you have went out to celebrate with your friend and not have drank a drop of alcohol? If restaurant carry ever passes I guarantee it will be concealed permit only.

ncwabbit

so frog why not be a good citizen and mention to folk in cruiser what you saw the woman doing as it might just have another citizen's belongings from being stolen!

and sorry madcitysw asked myself the same question...why on earth would you open your front door to a known or suspected impaired person. if they are in or claim to be in distress...without acknowledging your home, call the police!!!

as for lack of a viable statute...GRNC got a class 3 statute passed for its citizens!!
see current thread about gold carry and Paul V's comments!

WalkingWolf

So if restaurant carry was legal would you have went out to celebrate with your friend and not have drank a drop of alcohol? If restaurant carry ever passes I guarantee it will be concealed permit only.

And that is why I will never support it. That attitude is wrong!

NC-Heel

And that is why I will never support it. That attitude is wrong!
It is what it is. Restaurant owners are not going to allow patrons to open carry in their establishment. I have several establishments and I would not allow open carry. Got no problem with legal concealed carry though. Do you want people open carrying and drinking? Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember there being any statutes that address alcohol consumption and open carry. People will OC and drink if it's not illegal. That means there would have to be additional statutes written to address this. I don't want anymore gun laws, do you? There was a reason that back in the day you had to check your firearm with the bartender when entering a saloon.

WalkingWolf

It is what it is. Restaurant owners are not going to allow patrons to open carry in their establishment. I have several establishments and I would not allow open carry. Got no problem with legal concealed carry though. Do you want people open carrying and drinking? Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember there being any statutes that address alcohol consumption and open carry. People will OC and drink if it's not illegal. That means there would have to be additional statutes written to address this. I don't want anymore gun laws, do you? There was a reason that back in the day you had to check your firearm with the bartender when entering a saloon.

Are you kidding? Restaurants already allow open carry in their establishment. One in the past even encouraged it, I would imagine others do. Your statement is untrue, and an insult to OC. You do understand this is a OC site?

papa bear

Horse wash. all you need to do is look across the state line to VA, and see these were the same lame excuses as usual. the anti's (and i do mean the gun owners too), were crying "oh how that streets will run red", dogs and cats will be sleeping together, the lions will lie with that sheep, returning to the "wild west", etc. etc.

the issue is that it has been two years since VA has passed carry in places that serve alcohol, and the incident rate has went down. you can go about anywhere in VA and carry. there are some stupid morons that made their place safe for the BG, but for the most part nothing has change. if the owner wants to be stupid and post his business that is his lose.

you can now drink and carry open in VA. it is very nice when i am up there (which is a lot), i don't have to worry about if i am breaking a stupid and absolutely useless law. if a owner is stupid enough not to allow me there. fine i don't spend my money there.

what i like about it is the choice that i have to go. BTW, i do not drink alcohol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Horse wash. all you need to do is look across the state line to VA, and see these were the same lame excuses as usual. the anti's (and i do mean the gun owners too), were crying "oh how that streets will run red", dogs and cats will be sleeping together, the lions will lie with that sheep, returning to the "wild west", etc. etc.

the issue is that it has been two years since VA has passed carry in places that serve alcohol, and the incident rate has went down. you can go about anywhere in VA and carry. there are some stupid morons that made their place safe for the BG, but for the most part nothing has change. if the owner wants to be stupid and post his business that is his lose.

you can now drink and carry open in VA. it is very nice when i am up there (which is a lot), i don't have to worry about if i am breaking a stupid and absolutely useless law. if a owner is stupid enough not to allow me there. fine i don't spend my money there.

what i like about it is the choice that i have to go. BTW, i do not drink alcohol.

Actually Virginia has had OC in restaurants (we have no bars) that serve alcohol for a very long time - 1995? Two years ago CC was okayed if no consumption. Point of fact, there have been no problems of note with either.

NC-Heel

Actually Virginia has had OC in restaurants (we have no bars) that serve alcohol for a very long time - 1995? Two years ago CC was okayed if no consumption. Point of fact, there have been no problems of note with either.
Well we have both and once an establishment gets a ABC license the saw laws apply for both. Bars are suppose to be private membership but you rarely see that. The hospitality and restaurant associations are not going to allow the 2 to be split up. You have to see the entire picture. I see no problem with OC'ing to Bennigans or the local chinese restaurant that serves beer which I assume is what the rest of you are asking for. The problem would be that would open it up to Billy's Backstreet Bar (I worked at a place named that once), dance clubs, gentlemans clubs, and so on. I have had knives pulled on me when confronting an intoxicated person about cutting them off or not letting them drive off. Now imagine the guy has a loaded sidearm.

Also remember there are no laws that allow OC. There are no laws that make it illegal either. To implement OC restaurant carry would require that those laws be written, is that what you want? I know what you are going to say, all they need to do is remove the part of the ABC laws that restrict firearms. That will never happen. When in our countries history have politicians thought less laws are better? Never. They would be compelled to add laws. Keep it the same or add laws to the concealed carry portion to make it happen but the last thing I want is them writing laws concerning open carry. Period, end of story. No good would come of that.

Last edited:

NC-Heel

Are you kidding? Restaurants already allow open carry in their establishment. One in the past even encouraged it, I would imagine others do. Your statement is untrue, and an insult to OC. You do understand this is a OC site?
What restaurant with an ABC license allows open carry? Please tell me which ones you are referring to.

WalkingWolf

What restaurant with an ABC license allows open carry? Please tell me which ones you are referring to.

You did not say liquor license now did you? And it does not matter, restaurants without license welcome Open Carriers, in fact most and very close to all dry restaurants welcome OC. The indifference is the law and people with a bias, or completely misinformed.

Again this IS a Open Carry site, I would appreciate if you rethink attacking OC.

WalkingWolf

Well we have both and once an establishment gets a ABC license the saw laws apply for both. Bars are suppose to be private membership but you rarely see that. The hospitality and restaurant associations are not going to allow the 2 to be split up. You have to see the entire picture. I see no problem with OC'ing to Bennigans or the local chinese restaurant that serves beer which I assume is what the rest of you are asking for. The problem would be that would open it up to Billy's Backstreet Bar (I worked at a place named that once), dance clubs, gentlemans clubs, and so on. I have had knives pulled on me when confronting an intoxicated person about cutting them off or not letting them drive off. Now imagine the guy has a loaded sidearm.

Also remember there are no laws that allow OC. There are no laws that make it illegal either. To implement OC restaurant carry would require that those laws be written, is that what you want? I know what you are going to say, all they need to do is remove the part of the ABC laws that restrict firearms. That will never happen. When in our countries history have politicians thought less laws are better? Never. They would be compelled to add laws. Keep it the same or add laws to the concealed carry portion to make it happen but the last thing I want is them writing laws concerning open carry. Period, end of story. No good would come of that.

Might help you if you know what you are talking about, I suggest you check the laws again, and then get back to us.

Smith45acp

Again this IS a Open Carry site, I would appreciate if you rethink attacking OC.

Shouldn't we welcome any and all criticism? It's either going to be a valid point, or something that you can counter. What's the harm there?

WalkingWolf

Shouldn't we welcome any and all criticism? It's either going to be a valid point, or something that you can counter. What's the harm there?

The harm is he is bashing OC, this site is a OC site, if he is going to yak up hairballs he needs to provide cites for them, or stop the bovine scatology.

Last edited:

NC-Heel

You did not say liquor license now did you? And it does not matter, restaurants without license welcome Open Carriers, in fact most and very close to all dry restaurants welcome OC. The indifference is the law and people with a bias, or completely misinformed.

I understand you are just an antigonizer. In a thread about not being able to carry to a restaurant or bar and have a beer you need everyone to continually reiterate that the establishment needs to be defined as an operation with an ABC permit. In my opinion, you see it as a battle between Constitutional Carry and Privileged Carry thus requiring individuals to pick a side. Where as I see it as a right to protect my life and property thus placing us all in the same boat. Divided we will never win and I feel you are ok with that as you can pound your chest with your black powder pistol and say I told you so.

You see it as an OC state, I see it as a state where I have the right to defend myself. If you are so against privilege licenses, let me ask you this, do you have a drivers license? What about your constitutional right to freely travel?

NC-Heel

The harm is he is bashing OC, this site is a OC site, if he is going to yak up hairballs he needs to provide cites for them, or stop the bovine scatology.
Where have I ever bashed OC? Please point it out to me. Once again there is no state law that allows OC. Point it out to me if it exists. I open carry all the time. Attend OCDO events. How about you ----------

--Mod deleted personal attack--

Last edited by a moderator:

NC-Heel

Because he is always right and doesn't feel the need to back his opinion up with verifiable fact. Without fact there is no counter. North Carolina is not a legally verifiable open carry state as some other states are, it is just there are no laws against it so it is legal to do something that has not been deemed illegal. There are no laws that discuss open carry only laws that define where it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm.