• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

introducing myself

gwhitegm60

Hello everyone, I'm Gregg and i am new to the forum. I just got my ccw in August. Today i contacted the manager at wal-mart in Moore and asked what their open carry policy was. The manager informed me that there were no signs posted and it was ok to carry open or concealed. I retired from the Okla. Army National Guard after 26+ yrs. and one tour in Iraq. I look forward to talking to everyone in this forum.:)

Gregg

Gary S

Hello everyone, I'm Gregg and i am new to the forum. I just got my ccw in August. Today i contacted the manager at wal-mart in Moore and asked what their open carry policy was. The manager informed me that there were no signs posted and it was ok to carry open or concealed. I retired from the Okla. Army National Guard after 26+ yrs. and one tour in Iraq. I look forward to talking to everyone in this forum.:)

Gregg

Welcome, this is a very good forum to be a member of, in my opinion. Have you checked out okoca.org yet if not i would suggest it.

hrdware

Gregg

Gregg,

First off, thank you for your service.

Second off, welcome to OCDO!! Take some time and enjoy all the threads, there is a lot of good information around here.

Most of the national chain stores already have a policy about carrying firearms. Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Khols...they all have policies to simply follow state law. However if someone is causing a big scene, the manager still has the ability to ask people to leave.

The general consensus is to take a don't ask policy when it comes to stores. If a store is not posted, then assume it is OK. Nothing requires a store to post and a manager can always ask any person to leave for any reason.
We find if stores are asked, it puts the issue right in front of them, but if you carry into a store that is not posted, and no one makes a scene about it, it is not a an issue for them.

hermannr

Welcome to OCDO!

In the US our laws are based on English Common law as written in Blackstone's tome. The basic principal is: If it is not specifically written in law as illegal, it is presumed lawful.

Our interactions with the business community should be based on the same. If the business is not posted, we can assume that it is lawful to carry there. If the business is posted, we take our business elsewhere, and tell the management of the posted place why we are taking our business elsewhere.

Carry is a lawful activity, no different than the carry of a cell phone (yes I have a beef with OK's "must be licensed", but it is what it is, and not that difficult to comply with) When you are out and about, do not spend any more time thinking about it than you would with an expensive cell phone...that is use your elbow to make sure it is there if you are concerned, not your hand, and do not be a nervous Nelly...acting nervous will attract unwanted attention. Do you worry about carry of a cell phone? No? same thing with your sidearm...nothing strange or different about it...

Archerman99

I'm a little late on the greeting, but welcome! I haven't been around all that long either but have found great information and conversations here.