Thread: Concealed Permit Question

Concealed Permit Question

Ive wanted to take the CC class for some time now. About 3 weeks ago my wife and I found out we are expecting our first child in June so If I disnt have a real good reason to take it before I do now. My dad is taking the class with me so we went and signed up and got our books. After reading some in it he thinks I may not be able to get my permit. Heres what happened. A couple of years ago I was a little bit younger and ALOT dumber. One night after having too much to drink at a bar with friends, I went I was gonna be sick so I ask my wife to pull over into a parking lot. I didnt get sick but being a drunk idiot I decided to relieve myself in the parking lot while a liscense check was being held a few blocks down the road. Of course they saw us pull in and when they pulled up I was caught and arresred for indecent exposure. Went to court took reaponsiblity for my actions and was given community service and told upon completion there would be a dismissal of the charges. Needless to say I havent had a drink of alcohol since then and did olot of growing up. Nothing Ive read indicates this will be a problem but what do yall think. Thabks for your time.

Ryan

I highly doubt that will be a problem. They run the same check for a PPP as they do for the concealed. If you feel concerned go apply for a PPP.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

suggestion...go apply for your ppp and you might find you are denyed and you contact an attorney for legal advice on how to proceed.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by rwm4192 View Post
    Ive wanted to take the CC class for some time now. About 3 weeks ago my wife and I found out we are expecting our first child in June so If I disnt have a real good reason to take it before I do now. My dad is taking the class with me so we went and signed up and got our books. After reading some in it he thinks I may not be able to get my permit. Heres what happened. A couple of years ago I was a little bit younger and ALOT dumber. One night after having too much to drink at a bar with friends, I went I was gonna be sick so I ask my wife to pull over into a parking lot. I didnt get sick but being a drunk idiot I decided to relieve myself in the parking lot while a liscense check was being held a few blocks down the road. Of course they saw us pull in and when they pulled up I was caught and arresred for indecent exposure. Went to court took reaponsiblity for my actions and was given community service and told upon completion there would be a dismissal of the charges. Needless to say I havent had a drink of alcohol since then and did olot of growing up. Nothing Ive read indicates this will be a problem but what do yall think. Thabks for your time.

Ryan
    Was it a misdemeanor or felony?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    It is a misdemeanor, that is why I doubt it would have an effect.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    It is a misdemeanor, that is why I doubt it would have an effect. The only way IMO it could affect it is if he is a registered sex offender, and I doubt that.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

It's a misdemeanor, no big deal. People think they need a perfect record to carry which is far from the truth. I have plenty of charges including a guilty conviction of possession of a concealed weapon on my record. Forgot the broke pistol was in the glovebox and unlocked back in the day.

don't want to throw a wet blanket on the party. but it does matter a whole lot to what your local sheriff will do. i know some that just look for anything to screw you up and i know some that are very lax in what they look for. i had one tell me one time he didn't care if you had a dishonorable discharge, since it could have been you hit your Sargent or something like that.

most of the time i say don't ask a cop. but in this case i would suggest you go and talk to the sheriff about it.
    if he say you would not be able to , then there are some legal actions you can take to get your permission slip

but then again you can always carry Open
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    don't want to throw a wet blanket on the party. but it does matter a whole lot to what your local sheriff will do. i know some that just look for anything to screw you up and i know some that are very lax in what they look for. i had one tell me one time he didn't care if you had a dishonorable discharge, since it could have been you hit your Sargent or something like that.

most of the time i say don't ask a cop. but in this case i would suggest you go and talk to the sheriff about it.
    if he say you would not be able to , then there are some legal actions you can take to get your permission slip

but then again you can always carry Open
    NC is a shall issue state. The reasons for disqualification are clearly defined by the state. The time period for issue are clearly defined by the state. The local Sheriff has no say-so in the entire process. He or she makes no decision on the issuance of a concealed carry permit (purchase permits are different) the Sheriff's sole responsibilities are to facilitate the background check, make sure you are not disqualified using the state's guidelines and sign the card when he receives it from Raleigh.

wrong thread
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-12-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I doubt it will keep you from getting a permit. But here is the criteria and it's worth looking over. Probably the same as the book, but worth checking.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...14-415.12.html

ncheel, where oh where on earth do you get your mis-information? there is no card from raleigh for the sheriff to sign...each of the counties have their own CHP form they use...

shall issue...hummm might tell each of the sheriffs that as i know they have the discretion to deny...

you truely believe in this good ole boy state they dont bave that discretion?

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    NC is a shall issue state. The reasons for disqualification are clearly defined by the state. The time period for issue are clearly defined by the state. The local Sheriff has no say-so in the entire process. He or she makes no decision on the issuance of a concealed carry permit (purchase permits are different) the Sheriff's sole responsibilities are to facilitate the background check, make sure you are not disqualified using the state's guidelines and sign the card when he receives it from Raleigh.
    yes you are right NC is a "shall issue" state. that is why i said that there are legal courses which they could take to get one. but don't believe for a minute if the sheriff (or someone in the dept.) does not want to issue you one he can refuse you and then you would have to go another route.

then again you can carry open
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    ncheel, where oh where on earth do you get your mis-information? there is no card from raleigh for the sheriff to sign...each of the counties have their own CHP form they use...

shall issue...hummm might tell each of the sheriffs that as i know they have the discretion to deny...

you truely believe in this good ole boy state they dont bave that discretion?

wabbit
    The cards come from Raleigh for Mecklenburg County. I know this as fact as the lady that administers the concealed carry permit for the county is a friend of mine. They submit the information to Raleigh who prints the cards in batches and returns them to the counties in batches. If they printed them at the County level why do they print a temporary one if you lose yours then have you come back and pick up the duplicate one? The one they print you the first time says temporary (I have had one) and the one you get 3-4 weeks later from Raleigh says Duplicate (what mine says now). Would it not be easier to just print the duplicate since they are already printing a permit and laminating it? They don't get any extra money for the return visit. In Mecklenburg County the Sheriff does not actually sign them either, the Supervisor of the records department has a stamp of his signature that they use.

Since that is how it is done in Mecklenburg County (the second largest concealed county, Wake is #1 where Raleigh is) I would safely assume that is how every other county operates.

If the Sheriff's had the final say so I would probably not have a permit. My criminal print out from the county is 3 pages. Me and Sheriff Bailey have had several discussions and if I ever run into Chief Monroe I got some choice words for him also.

Notice mine says duplicate so I have actually been through the whole lost original, issued temporary and returned for duplicate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0106%u00252520%25281%2529.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	9555
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 11-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Ryan,

I doubt that the offense you were convicted of would hold you back from getting your CHP. It's not one of the offenses listed as a disqualifying one. Generally, unless you have one of the disqualifying offenses on your record, the permit must be issued.

The sheriff has a bit more say in the PP, however. The same check is done, but certain convictions automatically disqualify you from getting the CHP. The PPP is a bit more vague as far as that goes, and the sheriff has more to say about it.

Personally, I'd like to see both permits done away with, but that's above the scope of your question lol. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info. It was a misdemeanor and it should be a dismissal. Apparently in my county you have to call the sherriffs office and make an appointment to get your finger prints done and apply for the permit. I may try and talk to the sherriff then. Not sure if it would help or hurt. Took the class today and the instructor told me that the sherriff does have some say in issuing the permit. So i dont know if talking to him will hurt or help.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm4192 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. It was a misdemeanor and it should be a dismissal. Apparently in my county you have to call the sherriffs office and make an appointment to get your finger prints done and apply for the permit. I may try and talk to the sherriff then. Not sure if it would help or hurt. Took the class today and the instructor told me that the sherriff does have some say in issuing the permit. So i dont know if talking to him will hurt or help.
    I think talking can only hurt as it will probably put you on their radar. Apply and wait.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

"Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho