• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice on holster?

ddillman

Ok, I have had my CC license for 6 years. I have always carried it in my truck when I go somewhere on the weekends or on a vacation. It is simply there to reassure myself I have something their to protect me and my son in case the need arises. Since Nov. 1, I have had thoughts of when I would OC but haven't done it as of today. Not sure when I will. BUT, before I do, I need to buy a holster for my gun. Any advice on WHERE and WHAT to buy?

Now, here is the thing. I intend on buying a new handgun sometime in the future. For now, all I carry with me is a Hi Point 9mm (Don't laugh!). It is a cheap gun, but efficient!! Does anyone have any advice on what type of holster is best for a Hi Point 9mm?

Gary S

Ok, I have had my CC license for 6 years. I have always carried it in my truck when I go somewhere on the weekends or on a vacation. It is simply there to reassure myself I have something their to protect me and my son in case the need arises. Since Nov. 1, I have had thoughts of when I would OC but haven't done it as of today. Not sure when I will. BUT, before I do, I need to buy a holster for my gun. Any advice on WHERE and WHAT to buy?

Now, here is the thing. I intend on buying a new handgun sometime in the future. For now, all I carry with me is a Hi Point 9mm (Don't laugh!). It is a cheap gun, but efficient!! Does anyone have any advice on what type of holster is best for a Hi Point 9mm?

I own a hi point as well and for the price it a pretty good gun, just when you clean it its good really look at the springs and internal parts to insure proper working order. Now for a holster i used a iwb holster and only concealed it, (it was before the open carry law was passed) i ordered it off line but don't recall where from if you search the web you will fine one for it. Now i carry a smith and Wesson sigma 9 with a blackhawk cqc made for it and it is open carried.

cbxer55

Just go to a local gun shop and do some shopping. Most of the holsters are in zip loc bags, and I've never had any complaints on opening them and trying them on before purchasing. There is a large variety of types and styles, and no one can really tell you what will work best for you. For concealed carry I prefer and use a Crossbreed IWB. For OC I will be using a belt slide holster that carries the weapon in a forward tilt, and has two belt loops, one in front and one to the rear of the gun. Much more stable that way.

I am curious though, how many folks here are using a holster with a retention strap? And is it necessary? Or if you do, is it just for peace of mind that someone will not just grab the weapon?

RugerP95DC

I am using a Blackhawk Serpa for my RugerP95 it has great retention, and is very stable on the belt, you can pull with all your might and the gun will not realease unless you use the release mechanism, I got mine off of cheaperthandirt.com. Most websites will have a search engine to recommend holsters for your weapon of choice.

hrdware

Just go to a local gun shop and do some shopping. Most of the holsters are in zip loc bags, and I've never had any complaints on opening them and trying them on before purchasing. There is a large variety of types and styles, and no one can really tell you what will work best for you. For concealed carry I prefer and use a Crossbreed IWB. For OC I will be using a belt slide holster that carries the weapon in a forward tilt, and has two belt loops, one in front and one to the rear of the gun. Much more stable that way.

I am curious though, how many folks here are using a holster with a retention strap? And is it necessary? Or if you do, is it just for peace of mind that someone will not just grab the weapon?

I use something like what you are describing. Something like this:

765254065_260.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Just go to a local gun shop and do some shopping. Most of the holsters are in zip loc bags, and I've never had any complaints on opening them and trying them on before purchasing. There is a large variety of types and styles, and no one can really tell you what will work best for you.

This is great advice. You should also check out gun shows because they typically offer a wider selection of choices than the typical gun store might.

Also please make sure your gun is unloaded when trying on all those holsters. You'd think that would be common sense, but you'd be surprised. :D. Good luck.

Also some brand recommendations, I have personally used holsters from these companies and feel comfortable recommending them:

Blackhawk (Serpa)
Galco
Bianchi
Crossbreed
Comp-Tac

WalkingWolf

View attachment 9545I don't know the dimensions of the hi-point, but I bought two french duty holsters from Sportsmanguide for 13.50 each. They are made for the m-9, but I fitted them to a 1911, and a Star Modelo by adding two Chicago screws to each.

Last edited:

arc37

Holsters

If I am really concerned on concealing I have always used a shoulder holster for my XD's. But you must buy a nice leather from Galco or Gould&Goodrich. I have never found a any of the nylon cheaper ones to be even close to the comfort levels of the nice leather ones. If I am not as concerned about conceal ability I really love my Blackhawk Serpas. They do not hug the body near as well as a nice leather Pancake style but since we have been a Open Carry state i am not as concerned about the imprinting of the weapons through my shirt etc. I have bought all of my holsters through the years from a website called CopsPlus. A large variety of brand and styles for several different weapons all on one website...PS Just my opinion there might be cheaper places so if anyone know a better place please post I would love to check it out..

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Okay here goes - I own 4 hi-points 3 of which are pistols. Hi-Point sells a holster that is very good for OC it is ambi & has a ambi thumb break. It is made by ACE (USA). I have not ordered in a year, but when I did the $20 price tag included shipping. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/products.php?cat=12

There are Fobus (HP line) & Galco (M5X) that make paddle holsters also but lack any retention other than screw micro "draw pull weight/friction" adjustments. If you OC and will be near anyone in public you should consider at minimum some level of "active" retention. All that said YOU are the best retention device you have, so practice Situational Awareness (SA).

ETA - for the Hi-Point haters that will find this thread: This C9 was put through hell. Ran over with truck, Barrel plugged & fired with threaded rod, Barrel Bulged then ground to allow slide to move freely, Double charged, Loaded full of powder with blocked barrel & fired :eek: Guess what? It never blew up like many higher end pistols would have. Finally after setting up a clamped rig and putting a HUGE powder load in it and pounding a bolt all the way down the barrel these guys blew it up. They are what they are, Ugly, inexpensive, functional, accurate, USA made firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE&feature=relmfu

Shooting Times Review:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_hipoint_100605/

Last edited:

ddillman

Okay here goes - I own 4 hi-points 3 of which are pistols. Hi-Point sells a holster that is very good for OC it is ambi & has a ambi thumb break. It is made by ACE (USA). I have not ordered in a year, but when I did the $20 price tag included shipping. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/products.php?cat=12

There are Fobus (HP line) & Galco (M5X) that make paddle holsters also but lack any retention other than screw micro "draw pull weight/friction" adjustments. If you OC and will be near anyone in public you should consider at minimum some level of "active" retention. All that said YOU are the best retention device you have, so practice Situational Awareness (SA).

ETA - for the Hi-Point haters that will find this thread: This C9 was put through hell. Ran over with truck, Barrel plugged & fired with threaded rod, Barrel Bulged then ground to allow slide to move freely, Double charged, Loaded full of powder with blocked barrel & fired :eek: Guess what? It never blew up like many higher end pistols would have. Finally after setting up a clamped rig and putting a HUGE powder load in it and pounding a bolt all the way down the barrel these guys blew it up. They are what they are, Ugly, inexpensive, functional, accurate, USA made firearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE&feature=relmfu

Shooting Times Review:
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_hipoint_100605/

Just want to make sure....when i referred to my 9mm hi point and said don't laugh, I wasn't making fun of the gun. I love the gun, but some people who go out and spend hundreds even thousands of dollars to buy high profile guns may think differently. Hi point is a great gun. I know a guy who likes his as much as he likes his smith & wesson.

FreeInAZ

Just want to make sure....when i referred to my 9mm hi point and said don't laugh, I wasn't making fun of the gun. I love the gun, but some people who go out and spend hundreds even thousands of dollars to buy high profile guns may think differently. Hi point is a great gun. I know a guy who likes his as much as he likes his smith & wesson.

I know you weren't. I know that sooner or later the HP haters will show up, so I gave them some educational info. I own MANY high end firearms. But if I am going out rock climbing or dune buggying any rough and tumble stuff the Hi-point 45 goes with me. Why? If I should drop it down a cliff, that really sucks but I'm not out $2,000+ for a custom 45.

They shoot straight, will not rust, and have a Great lifetime warranty! My 9mm was replaced by them after nearly 20 years of hard use. Hi-Point customer service is one of the best in the industry.

Last edited:

Bullbuster

I use a paddle holster with my .40 for OC. Its an Uncle Mikes and I've used it for years and OC'd with it hundreds of times. I do use the retention strap on. People who say a paddle hoster doesn't give proper retetion to the body are full of it because they do. I wear a thick leather belt and I cant even put the holter on or take it off unless I undo the belt. I do also have one that has a belt loop but its a bit flashy of a hoster for general OC IMO but it came with the gun and was used by the former LEO who I baught the gun from. I did wear it alot when I worked at Gun World. Never had any issues with it at all either. I use a IWB for CC. No retetion strap on that one. Still no problems with it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do not listen to any of the advice given above!

Follow each and every suggestuion given above!

You cannot be a "real" gun owner until you have at least one container full of holsters that, for whatever reason, just do not work for you. You may not try to get rid of them on E-Bay or in Shotgun News or even by handing them out to unwitting folks at the next gun show.

Sometimes looking at what the on-line stores have to offer that is listed as being specifically* for a Hi Point will help you narrow down your choices. But once you have done some homework you ought to head to a brick-and-mortar place to try out as many as you can.

In the meantime, do not carry it around in a brown paper bag - that's just not good form.

stay safe.

* - "generic" holsters that say they fit a dozen or more models do not count. They are less expensive but you are going to trade off a lot just to save a few bucks.