• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help will be visiting michigan tommorrow

xmilitary

Alright i live in north Carolina and open carry every day with no issues at all. Tomorrow ill be visiting Marion Michigan for one day now i know Michigan is an open carry state but it is also a pistol registration state, so should i be worried about open carrying while there or what? any help is appreciated

griffin

You don't have to worry about registration, it doesn't apply to you. However, if you do not have a NC carry license, you cannot carry (open or concealed) in your car and you will need to avoid our pistol free zones, such as anyplace that has a liquor license. This includes most grocery stores and restaurants. Do you have a NC carry license?

xmanhockey7

These are what the laws say regarding having a pistol in Michigan being a non-resident.
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the
Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency
in this state.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by
another state.

I'd recommend looking up MCL 750.234d and 28.425o. as well. If you have a licensed to carry a concealed weapon by North Carolina or another state 750.234d. really isn't an issue.

xmilitary

ok let me give a little bit of info as to why im even having to open carry in Michigan, im from florida my residency is in florida i have a florida CWL, ive been in the army for the past few years and recently got out and came to north Carolina. a few weeks ago my car was stolen along with my wallet (i know how dumb i left it in the car) in it was just about every identification i have including my CWL ive managed to get a new driver license and debit card and etc but the process to get a replacement CWL from Florida is LENGTHY to say the least. So until i get a replacement CWL my only legal mode of carrying my pistol has been open carry which works great i dont mind it i actually like OC. But brings me to my issue now of traveling to michigan to see a house my family is interested in buying. Even though i have a CWL its useless because i need the physical in hand license on me to conceal a handgun. So what are my options? its looking like michigan is not so gun friendly i might have to just leave my pistol at home.

TheQ

In order to open carry in Michigan, it is best you have a concealed pistol license issued from the state you are a resident of. You must have this license and your driver's license on you at all times.

If you are not in physical possession of these items, it becomes complicated at best. Illegal at worst.

As much as it sucks and I hate to say it, you are probably best to leave your handgun at home. :( don't even have it in your luggage.

You can technically OC if you have a non-resident license in your possession...that's where it gets "complicated.

Last edited:

xmilitary

The less people the better imo lol besides with things like atvs,snowmobiles,fishing and of course target shooting and hunting i dont think well get bored. can you shed any light on this for me "The Q"

griffin

I think Q is just saying it's probably wise if you don't carry without your license in hand. You can bring your gun, but just leave it in your suitcase/trunk.

What Q is talking about as being "complicated" is that, the way the law is written, you SHOULD be able to OC in the PFZs using a non-resident license (and by that I mean your NC carry license with your FL driver's license), but if you get in a bad situation you may have to prove that in court. A strict reading of the law says it's okay.

Last edited:

xmilitary

well if we like this house as much in person as we do through pictures.. which i have a feeling we will, then i plan on doing all of the above, its got 75 acres so it gives me a little room to work with we want horses and cows as well. pistol registration is new to me and to be honest i dont like it, being a former service member i hold my constitution near and dear to my heart

xmilitary

ok thanks griffin, and its a florida cwl and driver license. so leaving unloaded and locked up should be ok from my interpretation of the 28.422 but carrying on person openly gets complicated correct?

mirussell

wow small world my in laws have property in marion. They have owned for at least 20 yrs nice little town

TheQ

I think Q is just saying it's probably wise if you don't carry without your license in hand. You can bring your gun, but just leave it in your suitcase/trunk.

No you can't leave it in your suitcase. You can't have a gun in Michigan unless you have Registered it via the permit to purchase process class till pistol license Or you have a license from another state granting you permission to possess a firearm.

TheQ

ok thanks griffin, and its a florida cwl and driver license. so leaving unloaded and locked up should be ok from my interpretation of the 28.422 but carrying on person openly gets complicated correct?

Don't bring your pistol to Michigan unless you have a permit from your state that allows you to have a gun :(

TheQ

MCL 28.422:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

This seems crystal clear to me.

xmilitary

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the
(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency
in this state.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by
another state

I believe i fall in to the except do i not?

TheQ

in this state.

another state

I believe i fall in to the except do i not?

Note the law says you have to meet all of the criteria. Are you in possession of the license? (See "b")

Last edited:

xmilitary

nope, so i could face the 90 days in jail or a 100.00 fine or both for failure to present the license to the officer, and that goes for either open or cc, so by this even transporting unloaded and locked would be illegal. so for people from free states that do not have a chl that just purchase a pistol and open carry its illegal to bring there handgun to Michigan because there state does not issue a license to purchase or own a firearm? for example Alaska there is no need for any license to purchase or conceal its illegal for an Alaskan to bring there gun to Michigan?