• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help will be visiting michigan tommorrow

TheQ

nope, so i could face the 90 days in jail or a 100.00 fine or both for failure to present the license to the officer, and that goes for either open or cc, so by this even transporting unloaded and locked would be illegal. so for people from free states that do not have a chl that just purchase a pistol and open carry its illegal to bring there handgun to Michigan because there state does not issue a license to purchase or own a firearm? for example Alaska there is no need for any license to purchase or conceal its illegal for an Alaskan to bring there gun to Michigan?

Alaska issues an optional license, iirc. The person would need to have said license with them. People who live in the Con Carry state of Vermont that issues no license are screwed in Michigan.

I'm sorry, but as much as the law sucks it is crystal clear. I've pointed you to the law, now it's up to you to do as you will.

griffin

I may have to reread this thread, but I thought the poster said he DOES have a NC gun permit, but he just lost his wallet with his FL gun permit and driver's license.

If you do NOT have a permit from ANY state, then Q is correct, you should not bring your pistol.

Edit: reread post, nothing about a NC gun permit. Sorry, I don't know where I got that. My bad. Don't bring your pistol without a license.

Last edited:

xmilitary

i understand, i appreciate the clarification, it just amazes me how states can create laws that conflict with our constitutional rights. thanks again

TheQ

i understand, i appreciate the clarification, it just amazes me how states can create laws that conflict with our constitutional rights. thanks again

The Michigan Constitution which protects the individual right to keep and bear arms is sadly just a piece of paper. It can't defend itself.

xmilitary

i have a florida cwl that was in a vehicle that was stolen while in north carolina. i most definitely have a cwl but not carrying the physical license on person means i cant conceal although in some states its just a fine for not having it with you.

TheQ

i have a florida cwl that was in a vehicle that was stolen while in north carolina. i most definitely have a cwl but not carrying the physical license on person means i cant conceal although in some states its just a fine for not having it with you.

Sadly not the case in Michigan.

BTW, ShamnonJack pizza is marginal at best, but sadly it's the best in town.

xmilitary

so how do michiganders feel about registering there pistols? no big deal? or is it done because failing to do so is a crime and can cause you to lose the ability to own a firearm? either way it makes me cringe thinking about moving to michigan and having to register my handguns. just doesnt feel right

TheQ

so how do michiganders feel about registering there pistols? no big deal? or is it done because failing to do so is a crime and can cause you to lose the ability to own a firearm? either way it makes me cringe thinking about moving to michigan and having to register my handguns. just doesnt feel right

Registration is a double edged sword. Currently they are seeking to repeal registration. If you go digging through this forum you will find a number of threads recently that discuss the pros and cons ad nausium.

Last edited:

xmilitary

ive been lurking around oc.org for quite some time, i was hoping on 0ctober 17th they would repeal the registration of pistols but good ol governor rick snyder doesnt understand what constitutional rights are.. apparently from what i gather the michigan state police are also quite unclear on the 2a rights being that they are pro gun registration correct me if im wrong

FreeInAZ

FYI - for what it's worth I think the only legal way a non resident with out a carry permit from the home state could carry a pistol openly in MI would be: if they were once a MI resident and had registered the pistol(s) they wanted to carry on their visit earlier when they actually were a resident of MI. We all know these folks are far and few in between :rolleyes: . Yet another reason Constitutional Carry needs to be adopted in MI. ala: Welcome to MI. where we have some of the most dangerous cities on the PLANET! Oh and you cannot exercise your 2A right to self defense, unless you have a permission slip from your home state!:uhoh:

On a happy note: saw the new Bond flick in AZ while carrying 2 guns recently (OC & CC) at a Harkins theater (carry friendly), not a word said, no body running for the exits, no one hurt. See what happens when you give people the benefit of the doubt.:banana:

MI is at best a so so state when it comes to rights in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Pistol Registration is based in racism period!

Having been a Michigander for all my life until recently, pistol registration makes me cringe! Why? It has always been an extra form of "control" often based in racism. In MI. the registration of pistols can be directly traced back to trying to keep pistols out of the hands of Black citizens.

Here's some reading for those who care to learn about where this garbage (registration) comes from. MSP, claims it's a invaluable tool in solving crimes. If so how do so many other states manage to do just fine without it? :confused:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/sweet/sweetaccount.HTM

Last edited:

xmilitary

Well I went up to Michigan and I'm back in NC now. The house we like was actually close to Cheboygan. Pistol or firearm registration makes me cringe as well it just amazes me how the politicians that make these decisions ignore our constitutional rights like they dont exist. Honestly its scary that not enough people even care enough to have this changed. I'm not sure that pistol registration has ever saved one single life. Lets be real about it, bad guys don't register weapons, period.

So how many criminals has this pistol registration taken off the streets? Because how I see it only law abiding citizens comply with gun control laws. Look at Australia and their gun control and how it has no effect on crime and take a look at Switzerland which has one of the highest guns per capita of anywhere in the world while simultaneously having on of the lowest crime rates. The truth is Uncle Sam knows this but they don't care, our rights are a joke to these political higher ups that come up with law abiding citizen gun control. Bad guys don't read "no gun signs." But law abiding citizens do.

In my opinion, if a store has a no weapons sign posted they should have to provide armed security for me and my family. Other wise me disarming leaves only one group of people to have a weapon in the store and thats the people who don't care about the law. Since here in NC, businesses have the ability to post their store with a no pistol sign and have it be enforceable by law I have the ability to take my business else where and I hope more would do the same. Anyway sorry for the rant but I take my rights and my family's safety seriously, as all others should.

Sorry about the poor punctuation.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeInAZ

well i went up to michigan and im back in nc now, the house we like was actually close to cheboygan. pistol or firearm registration makes me cringe as well it just amazes me how the politicians that make these decisions ignore our constitutional rights like they dont exist..honestly its scary that not enough people even care enough to have this changed. im not sure that pistol registration has ever saved one single life.. lets be real about it bad guys DONT register weapons.period. so how many criminals has this pistol registration taken off the streets? because how i see it only law abiding citizens comply with gun control laws.. look at australia and there gun control and how it has no effect on crime and take a look Switzerland has one of the highest guns per capita of anywhere in the world while simultaneously having on of the lowest crime rates.. the truth is uncle sam knows this but they dont care, are rights are a joke to these political higher ups that come up with LAW ABIDING CITIZEN GUN CONTROL. Bad guys dont listen to no gun signs.. but law abiding citizens do. In my opinion if a store has a no weapons sign posted they should have to provide armed security for me and my family.. other wise me disarming leaves only one group of people to have a weapon in the store and thats the people who dont care about the law. since here in nc businesses have the ability to post there store with a no pistol sign and it be enforceable by law i have the ability to take my business else where and i hope more would do the same. anyway sorry for the rant but i take my rights and my family safetey serious as all others should. sorry about the poor punctuation

My friend I wish MI would get it's act together. But the odds are slim, EVEN With Republican control of the legislature & Republican Gov. Snyder:rolleyes:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Something NONE of us thought of, the OP probably could have OCed a black powder revolver. By law, they're not registered anymore. And it would have at least provided him with a certain level of protection. Have to keep that in mind for the next time this subject comes up.

FreeInAZ

Something NONE of us thought of, the OP probably could have OCed a black powder revolver. By law, they're not registered anymore. And it would have at least provided him with a certain level of protection. Have to keep that in mind for the next time this subject comes up.

Al - I think this came up before with little_freak. There was a debate that to legally carry in MI under MCL 28.422 a purchase permit was needed. I am not sure what the final verdict was?

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-225113--,00.html

In Michigan, a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol," as prescribed in MCL 28.422. These licenses shall be obtained by the local police agency. If the city, township, or village does not have an organized police agency, the license shall be obtained by the county sheriff department.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Al - I think this came up before with little_freak. There was a debate that to legally carry in MI under MCL 28.422 a purchase permit was needed. I am not sure what the final verdict was?

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-225113--,00.html

In Michigan, a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol," as prescribed in MCL 28.422. These licenses shall be obtained by the local police agency. If the city, township, or village does not have an organized police agency, the license shall be obtained by the county sheriff department.
Yeah, that might be a slight hiccup.

Well, just one more reason we need to get rid of pistol registration completely. :)

TheQ

Regarding the OP, I'm heading to 49665 myself tonight. Sorry we missed each other in the small town of Marion!