Thread: Wikipedia got Veterans day wrong ...

Banned

Wikipedia got Veterans day wrong ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day

It was originally armistice day .. to promote peace...the feds changed it to veterans day to promote what I don't know...

I'm not sure wikipedia is widely recognized for it's reliablity as an accurate source....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I'm not sure wikipedia is widely recognized for it's reliablity as an accurate source....
    Regardless, it is routinely found to be at least as accurate as the best encyclopedias. I really don't understand the popularity of bashing Wikipedia. It's a magnificent resource for quickly and easily finding information on nearly any topic. Of course any information found in it should be considered potentially inaccurate, just as with information in an encyclopedia, but that doesn't mean it isn't an incredibly valuable site. If the people who so love to try to find errors in it corrected those errors, instead of engaging in absurd Ludditism, it would be even more valuable.

Banned
    I don't recommend using Wikipedia as a scholarly source. However, it is a great starting point and has useful links to those scholarly sources and to primary sources.

Still, I wonder how the article is in error. The information seemed to be correct to me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day

It was originally armistice day .. to promote peace...the feds changed it to veterans day to promote what I don't know...
    Then login and correct the article with citations.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

My recollection has always been that it was an extension on Armistice Day to acknowledge all combat veterans.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Then login and correct the article with citations.
    I have done that when I have seen that the information was patently false. The next morning it's back to the false information again.

It's not worth it.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Regardless, it is routinely found to be at least as accurate as the best encyclopedias. I really don't understand the popularity of bashing Wikipedia. It's a magnificent resource for quickly and easily finding information on nearly any topic. Of course any information found in it should be considered potentially inaccurate, just as with information in an encyclopedia, but that doesn't mean it isn't an incredibly valuable site. If the people who so love to try to find errors in it corrected those errors, instead of engaging in absurd Ludditism, it would be even more valuable.
    That wasn't a bash. It was simply a statement of fact. I have used wikipedia many times as a starting point for information and it is typically reliable. I do recall not being allowed to use wikipedia as a source while pursuing my college degree. I was just trying to say that the OP shouldn't be surprised. This is all I was trying to convey. Relax
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    I have done that when I have seen that the information was patently false. The next morning it's back to the false information again.

It's not worth it.
    Plus, I'm L----A-----Z----Y ...........

Keep the Faith!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    That wasn't a bash. It was simply a statement of fact. I have used wikipedia many times as a starting point for information and it is typically reliable. I do recall not being allowed to use wikipedia as a source while pursuing my college degree. I was just trying to say that the OP shouldn't be surprised. This is all I was trying to convey. Relax
    Fair enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    ...Still, I wonder how the article is in error. The information seemed to be correct to me.
    Still wondering...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>