Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCU students for conceal carry Meet up - Legends Brewery meet up 11/20/12

VCU students for conceal carry Meet up - Legends Brewery meet up 11/20/12

VCU students for conceal carry on campus is having a meet up on 11/20 at Legend's Brewery. Good opportunity for us to branch out, unfortunately I have to work and cannot make it. Show up if you can and help educate/acclimate these new folks into the activist community.

Where: Legends Brewery 321 West 7th Street, Richmond, VA 23224
    http://www.legendbrewing.com/
    When: November 20, at 7:00 pm

This is a brewery that has a restaurant. As far as I know open-carry is uncharted territory there. Part of their invitation is to share a beer (if you want). I would naturally assume the individuals that will be enjoying beer will not be carrying.

https://www.facebook.com/events/302198979895786/
    Last edited by T Dubya; 11-12-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add link
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    VCU students for conceal carry on campus is having a meet up on 11/20 at Legend's Brewery. Good opportunity for us to branch out, unfortunately I have to work and cannot make it. Show up if you can and help educate/acclimate these new folks into the activist community.

This is a brewery that has a restaurant. As far as I know open-carry is uncharted territory there. Part of their invitation is to share a beer (if you want). I would naturally assume the individuals that will be enjoying beer will not be carrying.

https://www.facebook.com/events/302198979895786/
    From a public relations stand point, they could have picked a better location IMHO.

While enjoying an adult beverage is not illegal when OCing, it does portray a negative image. It is a violation to CC and indulge.

Will check my calendar - yep, I'm free will try to be there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I won't even bother trying to use the search feature here....but for some reason it strikes me that Legends had a no gun policy...or someone had a bad experience there...

Something like that.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I don't know what it's like now...,

but some years back when we were fighting mightily to get CC in restaurants (before this last big push), I seem to remember an owner or manager (maybe both) speaking his piece about how he found a "9mm revolver with a 22 clip" in the men's restroom there at Legends one night and turned it into the Richmond Police Department, and he never heard anything else back on it. I know, I know, he really didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about, and he as much as admitted that, but he definitely knew he didn't want any guns in his establishment. I had been to Legends once before, but after that little nugget of his, never again.

There was a little snickering when he said it, and I figured the most probable reason the cops never got back to him on it was because it was probably a cop that left it in there. Maybe some of you guys remember that little anti speech he made. I feel sure that Skidmark, Grapeshot, Peter Nap and some others were there, I know Philip was there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Whether they picked the ideal spot or not it's their pick. They're them and we're us.

We need to be inclusive. Take the opportunity to inform and educate a new group of activists and help acclimate them to 2nd Amendment activism. There are a lot of nuances about carrying that we understand perfectly whereas others may not; like who the antis are.

I would like to see them be a success. I hope to see them stand with us on Lobby Day with "VCU Students for Conceal Carry" stickers.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Whether they picked the ideal spot or not it's their pick. They're them and we're us.

We need to be inclusive. Take the opportunity to inform and educate a new group of activists and help acclimate them to 2nd Amendment activism. There are a lot of nuances about carrying that we understand perfectly whereas others may not; like who the antis are.

I would like to see them be a success. I hope to see them stand with us on Lobby Day with "VCU Students for Conceal Carry" stickers.
    I agree 100%

Attended a meet up with a young lady involved with this movement from VCU - very articulate and knowledgeable.
    Also sat in on an interview of Skidmark by another student from VCU doing a paper on pro gun, self-defense vs anti gun.
    This is a very hot item right now, much discussed on campus.

My concern with the location may be unwarranted. Just don't want them to be asked to leave on their first public meeting. If I can attend and that happens, I'll redirect them then to a location known to be friendly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I agree 100%

Attended a meet up with a young lady involved with this movement from VCU - very articulate and knowledgeable.
    Also sat in on an interview of Skidmark by another student from VCU doing a paper on pro gun, self-defense vs anti gun.
    This is a very hot item right now, much discussed on campus.

My concern with the location may be unwarranted. Just don't want them to be asked to leave on their first public meeting. If I can attend and that happens, I'll redirect them then to a location known to be friendly.
    Great!

Grape, I would like to run an idea through you up the chain to the VCDL EM"s and to VCU students for concealed carry. I would like to see black & gold stickers for Lobby Day that shows some kind of support for VCU Students for conceal carry. Think about it. VCU is right up the street from the capitol. We have a better chance of getting many of them to show up then say JMU or GMU students; and there is no doubt in my mind that a Black & Gold sticker that has VCU students for conceal carry would get media attention. We cannot let this epidemic of VCU students being constantly preyed upon go away.

Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    but some years back when we were fighting mightily to get CC in restaurants (before this last big push), I seem to remember an owner or manager (maybe both) speaking his piece about how he found a "9mm revolver with a 22 clip" in the men's restroom there at Legends one night and turned it into the Richmond Police Department, and he never heard anything else back on it. I know, I know, he really didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about, and he as much as admitted that, but he definitely knew he didn't want any guns in his establishment. I had been to Legends once before, but after that little nugget of his, never again.

There was a little snickering when he said it, and I figured the most probable reason the cops never got back to him on it was because it was probably a cop that left it in there. Maybe some of you guys remember that little anti speech he made. I feel sure that Skidmark, Grapeshot, Peter Nap and some others were there, I know Philip was there.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    i don;t know about legends but richbrau brewing company is definitely anti gun could that be who you are thinking about?

edit found the thread JC we are both right. this thread mentions the closed richbrau and the pro self defense but not in my establishment stance of legends

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Brewing-closes
    Last edited by 67GT390FB; 11-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I think they are anti but as TD said, it is their pick and this a chance to introduce them to activism.
    I'll be there.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Great!

Grape, I would like to run an idea through you up the chain to the VCDL EM"s and to VCU students for concealed carry. I would like to see black & gold stickers for Lobby Day that shows some kind of support for VCU Students for conceal carry. Think about it. VCU is right up the street from the capitol. We have a better chance of getting many of them to show up then say JMU or GMU students; and there is no doubt in my mind that a Black & Gold sticker that has VCU students for conceal carry would get media attention. We cannot let this epidemic of VCU students being constantly preyed upon go away.
    Very interesting idea - I will definite pass that along. Very interesting idea indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    i don;t know about legends but richbrau brewing company is definitely anti gun could that be who you are thinking about?

edit found the thread JC we are both right. this thread mentions the closed richbrau and the pro self defense but not in my establishment stance of legends

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Brewing-closes
    That stance was described by a user/poster who knows the owner of Legends personally:

"The owner, Tom Martin, believes in the right to self -defense, but not in his place. He does not allow OC. He has offered to keep your firearm in his safe behind the bar while one eats. That becomes another set of issues. I have been target shooting with Tom; he just says guns and alcohol do not mix."

I don't like being locked up, neither does my gun.

Legend has great beer, but the owner does not allow carry.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Legend has great beer, but the owner does not allow carry.
    If nothing else, It'll be a learning experience for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If nothing else, It'll be a learning experience for the kids.
    If nothing else, It'll be a learning experience for the kids young, responsible adults

If nothing else, It'll be a learning experience for the kids young, responsible adults
    Where do you want to eat after we get thrown out?

Where do you want to eat after we get thrown out?
    Someplace where everything is not sugar coated might be good.

Open to ideas - think a back up plan would be prudent.

You won't get thrown out unless you OC, lol.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    You won't get thrown out unless you OC, lol.
    That is a good back up plan.

Just to keep the Students for Concealed Carry on an open carry note so Ed doesn't move it, does anyone know if the place is posted?

That will make a difference as to me leaving it in the car or not.

Just to keep the Students for Concealed Carry on an open carry note so Ed doesn't move it, does anyone know if the place is posted?

That will make a difference as to me leaving it in the car or not.
    SCCC has prior approval to be here and has the support of both the forum and VCDL. OC is not required, nor is CC. Even an empty holster holster makes a statement. Adjust tactics for the terrain.

Not posted.

--Robert A. Heinlein

SCCC has prior approval to be here and has the support of both the forum and VCDL. OC is not required, nor is CC. Even an empty holster holster makes a statement. Adjust tactics for the terrain.
    I expect I'll just go empty holster Grape. Lots bigger fish to fry in this meeting than me getting tossed out.

They caught their mistake:

We need your help. Join activists across the greater Richmond area for an evening of great food, great beer, and great conversation as we plan the next steps in this crucial effort. Tell your friends and colleagues!

P.S. Legend Brewing does not allow firearms. We'll meet elsewhere next time. Thank you for understanding!

They caught their mistake:
    We need your help. Join activists across the greater Richmond area for an evening of great food, great beer, and great conversation as we plan the next steps in this crucial effort. Tell your friends and colleagues!

P.S. Legend Brewing does not allow firearms. We'll meet elsewhere next time. Thank you for understanding!
    Yep and its scheduled for tomorrow evening.Think there is going to be a nice turn out.

Meeting was well attended and saw a lot of interest. Got to keep this ball moving and get increasing numbers on board - therein lies the strength.

I heard considerable conversation about campus and personal safety - we all know where that leads......to individual responsibility and the right to defend oneself. No one should ever be denied that right, not ever!

Meeting was well attended and saw a lot of interest. Got to keep this ball moving and get increasing numbers on board - therein lies the strength.

I heard considerable conversation about campus and personal safety - we all know where that leads......to individual responsibility and the right to defend oneself. No one should ever be denied that right, not ever!
    It was a start.

Probably shouldn't discuss the conversation with Tom (Owner) other than to say I wouldn't eat there if it was free food.

The VCU students were energetic, a little naive about how to win this fight, but receptive to ideas.

Proshooter was there to give guidance about CHP's and training. He had a very good conversation with several VCU students about becoming instructors and advanced training he offers.

Grapeshot had down to earth recommendations and help VCDL could offer. That's probably the key to campus carry.

VCDL President was there. Couldn't say what he discussed with them.

I was there to observe only but I did get a chance to talk to a few of them outside. Overall, I was impressed with a few exceptions.

Like I said, it's a start and they did say they would find a better Venue for the next meeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast