• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU students for conceal carry Meet up - Legends Brewery meet up 11/20/12

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
SCCC has prior approval to be here and has the support of both the forum and VCDL. OC is not required, nor is CC. Even an empty holster holster makes a statement. Adjust tactics for the terrain.

I expect I'll just go empty holster Grape. Lots bigger fish to fry in this meeting than me getting tossed out.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They caught their mistake:

We need your help. Join activists across the greater Richmond area for an evening of great food, great beer, and great conversation as we plan the next steps in this crucial effort. Tell your friends and colleagues!

P.S. Legend Brewing does not allow firearms. We'll meet elsewhere next time. Thank you for understanding!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They caught their mistake:
We need your help. Join activists across the greater Richmond area for an evening of great food, great beer, and great conversation as we plan the next steps in this crucial effort. Tell your friends and colleagues!

P.S. Legend Brewing does not allow firearms. We'll meet elsewhere next time. Thank you for understanding!

Yep and its scheduled for tomorrow evening. Think there is going to be a nice turn out.

Where: Legends Brewery 321 West 7th Street, Richmond, VA 23224
http://www.legendbrewing.com/
When: November 20, at 7:00 pm

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Meeting was well attended and saw a lot of interest. Got to keep this ball moving and get increasing numbers on board - therein lies the strength.

I heard considerable conversation about campus and personal safety - we all know where that leads......to individual responsibility and the right to defend oneself. No one should ever be denied that right, not ever!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Meeting was well attended and saw a lot of interest. Got to keep this ball moving and get increasing numbers on board - therein lies the strength.

I heard considerable conversation about campus and personal safety - we all know where that leads......to individual responsibility and the right to defend oneself. No one should ever be denied that right, not ever!

It was a start.

Probably shouldn't discuss the conversation with Tom (Owner) other than to say I wouldn't eat there if it was free food.

The VCU students were energetic, a little naive about how to win this fight, but receptive to ideas.

Proshooter was there to give guidance about CHP's and training. He had a very good conversation with several VCU students about becoming instructors and advanced training he offers.

Grapeshot had down to earth recommendations and help VCDL could offer. That's probably the key to campus carry.

VCDL President was there. Couldn't say what he discussed with them.

I was there to observe only but I did get a chance to talk to a few of them outside. Overall, I was impressed with a few exceptions.

Like I said, it's a start and they did say they would find a better Venue for the next meeting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Observations

While a lot of conversation took place, it was primarily a social gathering of like minded people. IMO a planning/tactical meeting ought to take place in a more structured setting, whether it is a round table discussion or speaker oriented - Richmond City Library or restaurant with a meeting room suggested.

The major problem with maintaining the viability of SCCC chapters has been that the leader/president is invariably a senior. The surface is hardly scratched before that person graduates and moves on with their life. While the difficulties associated with being defenseless on campus are immediate, the solution to many aspects will not necessarily be so.

• My 1st recommendation after a change in meeting location, would be to select next years leadership now, at least very soon. Make him/her 1st VP and gain some today help with the daily business as well as grooming that person to take over the reins.

Enthusiasm begets enthusiasm. You've got the core beliefs and you're willing to do something to promote that, but what?

• Make a list, define your specific goals - both short term, realistic ones and long term. Evaluate where you are and how best to get to where you want to be. Numbers are power - one person can make a difference but it is not as effective as many hands.

How to spread the word?

• Friends and acquaintances, talk radio, school newspaper, bulletin boards, gun shops/counters, printed hand outs - brain storm this. Someone mentioned black and gold (VCU colors) logo and maybe stickers - like Guns Save Lives stickers. Maybe someone in your art department could help with this.

Last night was a beginning. How far it will go depends on you. We are here to help.