• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions on home security cameras

Smith45acp

I'm looking for some recommendations, here's what I'd like to have feature-wise:

-4 cameras with decent resolution will be enough
-Some sort of low light/infrared capability
-Remote viewing with computer or smart phone
-I'd like a reliable motion sensor activation, or maybe an alert sent to me when something is detected. I figure what good will they be if I'm away and all the cameras do is show me what the bad guys took first when I come home. This is my main concern. My home is very secluded and even if I had a loud alarm going off there is literally no one to hear it, and the sheriff's bare minimum response time would be close to 20 minutes (if he came straight away and hightailed it).
-Again with the alert option - I don't want to have a separate tv monitor on all the time that I have to keep an eye on while I'm puttering around the house, is it possible for a motion sensor alert to automatically turn on a tv or switch the input to the CCTV feed?

I'm thinking a hard wired system will be best. They seem like they'd be more reliable interference/power wise and I'm competent at stringing wire.

While I'm at it, any suggestions for making a secluded home more burglar resistant would be great. My entry doors will be steel with reinforced jambs. I have a sliding glass door that I'm probably going to just switch out, no way to make that any better that I know of. Of course windows can always be bashed in but I'd like to at least make that a required effort. I have two big dogs staying inside during the day that probably only sound scary, I don't think they'd bite anyone (especially if they had biscuits!)

Once inside my firearms etc. will be tough to get to unless they have all day.

Any input is much appreciated!

-Smith

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There are replacement windows and sliding-glass doors made today that have a layer of polyethylene sandwiched between glass sheets exactly like a car windshield. Only thicker. It is for security, not safety like a car windshield.

I've seen a demonstration video where the actor had to beat and beat and beat on the sliding glass door with a bat to make decent hole in it. The glass cracked pretty quick, but creating a hole took a while. Something like that on the sliders and the bottom story windows might be useful.

Last edited:

09jisaac

If you're that secluded then you can maybe put a gate up over your drive? You would be surprised how extremely helpful that is. No one wants to lug 100 pounds of loot 100 yards, especially since that would slow them down way too much.

I would also suggest putting a sign for a name brand security company in your front yard, make it very prominent. Even if you don't have a security system, they don't know that.

If you are installing a camera then I would suggest a back-up recording off site. I could not explain that to my father's family. If anyone breaks in his moms house all the have to do is take one DVD/hard drive and that 400 per camera was wasted.

You can get an iPad/iPhone app for your remote access, they can be costly though. I do not know the features that they offer. I am sure that if they offer some for iPhones then they'll offer the same for anything with internet access.

Lastly, those windows that Citizen suggested work. They're not only good for home security but also for storms. It takes a bit to send something through them. When eastern Kentucky had all those tornadoes a while back we had plenty of windows knocked out. Storm damage is a whole lot costly if it stays on the outside of your home.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cameras have their pro and con aspect to them....if you don't make a mistake, they're great. If you make an error, its right their on video .. then "oh boy, I just screwed myself" moment occurs.

I follow the old attorney's proverb: never leave a record that can be referenced as evidence later ...

eye95

Cameras have their pro and con aspect to them....if you don't make a mistake, they're great. If you make an error, its right their on video .. then "oh boy, I just screwed myself" moment occurs.

I follow the old attorney's proverb: never leave a record that can be referenced as evidence later ...

"[N]ever leave a record" or "Never make a record"? I doubt any attorney would say the former, as it smacks of getting rid of a record, which could be destroying evidence and, as such, would be a crime. I somehow doubt you or anyone has heard an attorney saying what you claim is an "old attorney's proverb."

mpguy

I can't offer much advice on this, other than the following. Don't skimp on resolution. My wives ex-employer did this. I have a copy of the CD, the night she was robbed. You can't hardly make a soul out, due to the poor screen resolution of the play back.

.45 or bust

Grim_Night

I'm looking for some recommendations, here's what I'd like to have feature-wise:

-4 cameras with decent resolution will be enough
-Some sort of low light/infrared capability
-Remote viewing with computer or smart phone
-I'd like a reliable motion sensor activation, or maybe an alert sent to me when something is detected. I figure what good will they be if I'm away and all the cameras do is show me what the bad guys took first when I come home. This is my main concern. My home is very secluded and even if I had a loud alarm going off there is literally no one to hear it, and the sheriff's bare minimum response time would be close to 20 minutes (if he came straight away and hightailed it).
-Again with the alert option - I don't want to have a separate tv monitor on all the time that I have to keep an eye on while I'm puttering around the house, is it possible for a motion sensor alert to automatically turn on a tv or switch the input to the CCTV feed?

I'm thinking a hard wired system will be best. They seem like they'd be more reliable interference/power wise and I'm competent at stringing wire.

While I'm at it, any suggestions for making a secluded home more burglar resistant would be great. My entry doors will be steel with reinforced jambs. I have a sliding glass door that I'm probably going to just switch out, no way to make that any better that I know of. Of course windows can always be bashed in but I'd like to at least make that a required effort. I have two big dogs staying inside during the day that probably only sound scary, I don't think they'd bite anyone (especially if they had biscuits!)

Once inside my firearms etc. will be tough to get to unless they have all day.

Any input is much appreciated!

-Smith

LINK I believe this will fit all your requirements. multiple cameras, night vision/infrared, accessable from online, get alerts via email and phone, and has motion sensing... all of this recorded on a computer, with easy setup and no need to run wires everywhere. oh and by the way, HD video recording

motoxmann

I would also suggest putting a sign for a name brand security company in your front yard, make it very prominent. Even if you don't have a security system, they don't know that.

yes, this alone can and does make a big difference. my brother used to work for ADT, and they are always doing fresh research on security related things, and they actually found that 1-3 highly visible signs stating that the home is protected with an ADT security system was actually by far THE most effective over all other possible security options, even moreso than the security system itsself.

Chap

My house was broken into a few years back. Door was kicked in.

9 cameras with DVR was installed by a local security installer. 5 outside cameras have night sensing. Inside cameras don't. Cameras are filming 24/7 the DVR holds a lot of data then overwrites itself. Play back on my master bedroom tv. It has remote Internet viewing but I never hooked it up.

I didn't care for the quality of the night sensing cameras ( i bought expensive cameras ) so I installed flood lights with motion sensor next to them. I figured if the light turns on the intruder will look up and the camera will have a clean shot of their face or mask. No battery back up for cameras.

Also installed a Security System with smoke detectors and motion sensors with a battery back up incase they pull my electric meter. Pretty easy to kill power to a house, tear tamper seal off outside meter base and pull electric meter reader straight out. Bingo no power to house.

Security system installed has motion sensors in most rooms which dials the local security installers office. They call my cell phone, if no answer or I'm not home they call local police. Loud siren goes off annoying my neighbors.

If that doesn't work I have full coverage home owners insurance.

Not much else I can do.