Thread: West valley target shooting area that is not a range

West valley target shooting area that is not a range

Anyone know of a good area in the west valley to go target practice shooting that is not a range? Would love to practice more draw shots. Thanks in advance

http://arizonagunowners.com/shootingmap.php

There's a popular spot out by Flatiron Mountain, but be aware that the land is privately owned (though undeveloped).
    http://arizonagunowners.com - The best AZ gun board around!

Take grand to 163rd and turn right. Follow 163rd all the way til it dead ends on a dirt road forcing you to turn left. You'll see a sign saying you can shoot within a mile of homes. Turn right into the river bed, go a mike and shoot away

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseOpenCarryClub View Post
    Take grand to 163rd and turn right. Follow 163rd all the way til it dead ends on a dirt road forcing you to turn left. You'll see a sign saying you can shoot within a mile of homes. Turn right into the river bed, go a mike and shoot away
    I'll check it out

It's state trust land out there. Technically the only kind of shooting you're legally allowed to do out there is hunting.

I understand it's accepted as an informal shooting spot, but understand you could be cited for it.
    http://arizonagunowners.com - The best AZ gun board around!

Quote Originally Posted by JesseL View Post
    It's state trust land out there. Technically the only kind of shooting you're legally allowed to do out there is hunting.

I understand it's accepted as an informal shooting spot, but understand you could be cited for it.
    Thanks, jesseL. I know there are areas around, I would love to find one and not be in trouble for working with wife and boys on proper shooting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseL View Post

I wonder if your right to practice would allow one to practice on your land (as long as no danger to others can be proven).

But if he can hunt, it would imply its safe.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I wonder if your right to practice would allow one to practice on your land (as long as no danger to others can be proven).

But if he can hunt, it would imply its safe.
    Our local deputy has indicated shooting safely on ones own property in the county is acceptable when done safely and in a manner that doesn't unduly disturb the peace. Just don't let one get away over the berm.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.