• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR9

my95z34

I'm going to start with, I'm not sure if this section is the place for this, lol

Anyway, I recently purchased a Ruger SR9, and I took it to the range for the first time last weekend. When firing, I noticed that about 10% of the expended cartridges were extracting straight back at the firer's face. I took a video that I'll upload to Youtube later today.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? I sent an email to Ruger today, awaiting a response.

Thanks in advance!

WCEarp

Just a few questions to ask first. It will help anybody who would like to help you out.

Is it a new gun? If so, did you clean it first before going to the range?

How much shooting experience do you have? It might be an issue with limp wristing the pistol.

What kind of ammo are you using? The SR9s have a history of not liking steel casings.

I have shot my buddies SR9c a couple of times and it is a dream. He says he has never had any issues with it except for Tula Ammo. And if you place a five gallon bucket in the right spot you'll catch most of his spent casings.

So aside from the casings bouncing off the range dividers,if the above problems aren't it then it is probably something Ruger would like to look at.

my95z34

Just a few questions to ask first. It will help anybody who would like to help you out.

Is it a new gun? If so, did you clean it first before going to the range?

How much shooting experience do you have? It might be an issue with limp wristing the pistol.

What kind of ammo are you using? The SR9s have a history of not liking steel casings.

I have shot my buddies SR9c a couple of times and it is a dream. He says he has never had any issues with it except for Tula Ammo. And if you place a five gallon bucket in the right spot you'll catch most of his spent casings.

So aside from the casings bouncing off the range dividers,if the above problems aren't it then it is probably something Ruger would like to look at.

Thanks for the response. It was actually my girlfriend firing when I noticed the issue. It was her first time firing a pistol, so it could have been her limp wristing.

The gun is brand new, didn't clean it prior.

The ammo was S&W full metal jacket, target ammo. I believe the casings are brass.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Firearms Iinstuctor

Here's the video. She's not a very good shot yet, lol. Still needs to get down the basics. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaAzYTnPQ8o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Technique is the problem look at the grip. She needs to get her left hand off the bottom of the pistol and onto the grip.

Gripping with the surport hand on the bottom or mag area will help in many ways. Having the hand there allows the recoil to effect the pistol in strange ways. It recoils off and away from the surport hand. Also putting pressue upwards on the mag can cause malfuntions.