• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

liquor license and no OC without a cpl or other exception.

TheQ

What a d*ck. won't even admit he is wrong once provided with cites. Closes the thread before it can be hashed out.

If he presented his argument as was done in this thread, ZERO.

However, you are now saying something different. If I understand the bolded part, you are saying that ALL OC in MI requires a license or permit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Exceptions are there, one of them is having a CPL or equivalent from your own state.

MCL 750.234d says you can only OC in an establishment licensed by the liquor control act (which is any place that sells beer or liquor or is merely licensed to do so). One exemption to 234d is having a CPL. A simple purchase permit given via MCL 28.422 won't cut it.

eye95

No worries. Gotta love out of state ppl that think they know the state law better than in-state OC veterans....

I never said that I knew MI law. I was reading the responses to another's query and finding the responses as lacking and frustrating as the inquirer. The answers may be valid. I don't know. They were just annoyingly poorly presented.

<o>

eye95

...Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Exceptions are there, one of them is having a CPL or equivalent from your own state.

MCL 750.234d says you can only OC in an establishment licensed by the liquor control act (which is any place that sells beer or liquor or is merely licensed to do so). One exemption to 234d is having a CPL. A simple purchase permit given via MCL 28.422 won't cut it.

So if a license is needed to OC in general, stores selling liquor present no additional difficulty to OC than any other establishment would. Correct?

<o>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What a d*ck. won't even admit he is wrong once provided with cites. Closes the thread before it can be hashed out.

Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Personal attack doesn't behoove you Q - I have no problem saying I was wrong.

Your connection and explaination throws a much brighter a direct light on the matter - I thank you for that.

TheQ

@Grapeshot

Can you go back and add a post to the thread to reference this one to clear up the matter for posterity?

xmanhockey7

So if a license is needed to OC in general, stores selling liquor present no additional difficulty to OC than any other establishment would. Correct?

<o>

A license is needed to OC a handgun in Michigan but not necessarily a concealed pistol license. Any person who legally owns a handgun in Michigan (that doesn't have a CPL) must first obtain a "permit to purchase" or as it is detailed by law a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol". This does not allow someone to carry a concealed pistol so they do not meet the exemption under 750.234d. which requires a license to carry concealed.

autosurgeon

An observation... Don't assume a low post count individual does not know what he is talking about. The individual some were disputing is my brother and is at least as well versed in MI law pertaining to firearm carry as I am.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
An observation... Don't assume a low post count individual does not know what he is talking about. The individual some were disputing is my brother and is at least as well versed in MI law pertaining to firearm carry as I am.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

It is the ability to translate the information in a manner condusive to others understanding it, not the post count, that matters. Jus' sayin'.

I see that the convolutions of MI law makes that difficult though.

autosurgeon

It is the ability to translate the information in a manner condusive to others understanding it, not the post count, that matters. Jus' sayin'.

I see that the convolutions of MI law makes that difficult though.

Well part of the problem is he does not have a computer at the moment and does most of his posting from a phone. Makes posting links and such much harder. And yes MI law is a mess.