Thread: liquor license and no OC without a cpl or other exception.

liquor license and no OC without a cpl or other exception.

I could use a little help in the OC walmart thread over in OC questions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=104968
    OC Walmart

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

What a d*ck. won't even admit he is wrong once provided with cites. Closes the thread before it can be hashed out.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If he presented his argument as was done in this thread, ZERO.

However, you are now saying something different. If I understand the bolded part, you are saying that ALL OC in MI requires a license or permit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
    Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Exceptions are there, one of them is having a CPL or equivalent from your own state.

MCL 750.234d says you can only OC in an establishment licensed by the liquor control act (which is any place that sells beer or liquor or is merely licensed to do so). One exemption to 234d is having a CPL. A simple purchase permit given via MCL 28.422 won't cut it.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    No worries. Gotta love out of state ppl that think they know the state law better than in-state OC veterans....
    I never said that I knew MI law. I was reading the responses to another's query and finding the responses as lacking and frustrating as the inquirer. The answers may be valid. I don't know. They were just annoyingly poorly presented.

<o>

Proper cite for for Liquor control act is MCL 436.1801.

Michigan laws are a mess. Welcome to MI
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned

...Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Exceptions are there, one of them is having a CPL or equivalent from your own state.

MCL 750.234d says you can only OC in an establishment licensed by the liquor control act (which is any place that sells beer or liquor or is merely licensed to do so). One exemption to 234d is having a CPL. A simple purchase permit given via MCL 28.422 won't cut it.
    So if a license is needed to OC in general, stores selling liquor present no additional difficulty to OC than any other establishment would. Correct?

<o>

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    What a d*ck. won't even admit he is wrong once provided with cites. Closes the thread before it can be hashed out.

Pretty much. See MCL 28.422.

Personal attack doesn't behoove you Q - I have no problem saying I was wrong.

Your connection and explaination throws a much brighter a direct light on the matter - I thank you for that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?m...-1933-Ex-Sess-

This references in the compiler notes:

Compiler's Notes: Former sections 22 to 22h, being MCL 436.22 to 436.22h, were known and cited as the “Dram Shop Act.” See now MCL 436.1801 to 436.1815.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Personal attack doesn't behoove you Q - I have no problem saying I was wrong.

Your connection and explaination throws a much brighter a direct light on the matter - I thank you for that.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1851761

Oh pot, how black you are.

Red face Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner for understatement of the year!

Proper cite for for Liquor control act is MCL 436.1801.

Michigan laws are a mess. Welcome to MI

Quoted for truth!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

@Grapeshot

Can you go back and add a post to the thread to reference this one to clear up the matter for posterity?

@Grapeshot

Can you go back and add a post to the thread to reference this one to clear up the matter for posterity?
    Done with a link to this thread.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...20#post1851820
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-13-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed link
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    So if a license is needed to OC in general, stores selling liquor present no additional difficulty to OC than any other establishment would. Correct?

<o>
    Maybe you missed the above.

<o>
    A license is needed to OC a handgun in Michigan but not necessarily a concealed pistol license. Any person who legally owns a handgun in Michigan (that doesn't have a CPL) must first obtain a "permit to purchase" or as it is detailed by law a "license to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol". This does not allow someone to carry a concealed pistol so they do not meet the exemption under 750.234d. which requires a license to carry concealed.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Re: liquor license and no OC without a cpl or other exception.

An observation... Don't assume a low post count individual does not know what he is talking about. The individual some were disputing is my brother and is at least as well versed in MI law pertaining to firearm carry as I am.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 11-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    An observation... Don't assume a low post count individual does not know what he is talking about. The individual some were disputing is my brother and is at least as well versed in MI law pertaining to firearm carry as I am.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    It is the ability to translate the information in a manner condusive to others understanding it, not the post count, that matters. Jus' sayin'.

I see that the convolutions of MI law makes that difficult though.

eye95:

Like Alabama..., Michigan is an Open Carry State.

However, Michigan Code 750.234d(1) Spells Out Certain Places where Firearms are NOT Allowed, and The Exceptions Contained therein.

Michigan Code 750.234d is Viewable here: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(d3q...e=mcl-750-234d

aadvark

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It is the ability to translate the information in a manner condusive to others understanding it, not the post count, that matters. Jus' sayin'.

I see that the convolutions of MI law makes that difficult though.
    Well part of the problem is he does not have a computer at the moment and does most of his posting from a phone. Makes posting links and such much harder. And yes MI law is a mess.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."