Thread: Black eye for chicago (though they deserve alot worse) 850K verdict/police behavior

earth's crust

Black eye for chicago (though they deserve alot worse) 850K verdict/police behavior

this case will not stop this type of behavior but will make cops more aggressive in grabbing video footage ...

nobody charged with obstruction ...

White Oak Plantation
    The Mayor is confident that Superintendent McCarthy and his leadership team have not, and would not, approve of, let alone participate in, a code of silence,” spokeswoman Sarah Hamilton said in a statement.
    Uh.....yeah, right.

And to the extent there are members of the department who have a different view, the Mayor is confident that McCarthy and his team will deal with that.
    This here is the "We don't like snitches" quote. Those of a differing view are "marked men" professionally, it seems, within CPD.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    I read this this morning. The comments are enlightening. Best defense is offense, but not this time.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

SW MO
    I want to see what the city will appeal on. This will help determine what their chances are for overturning the verdict....hence, if the city doesn't win...then the possibility of change internally is elevated. Time will tell.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Secret Bunker

From story SNIP:

For Abbate’s part, his attorney Michael Malatesta said that the verdict was not a surprise.

“We’ve all seen the video,” he said. “I think it was hard for the jurors to see past that.”

And Ekl added, “Without the video there wouldn’t be a case — Abbate would still be a police officer.”

This is why all citizens should carry some type of hidden video recording device. It's come to that in our "free land" where the watchers refuse to watch themselves.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-14-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi