• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Taser Homeowner For Trying To Save Burning House With Garden Hose

wardtom084

Looks like I put this post on this board about the same time you did. Please remove my thread.

I used to be on the fire dept here and we have actually had homes saved before by people like this. Especially when it take us 20 minutes to get to the home in the mountains of western N.C.

On your own property, no crime committed. Sounds like a court cast to me.

KYKevin

If your not in the commission of a crime then police should just step back off your property. They were interfering with a homeowner who had done nothing wrong.

Redbaron007

facepalm.gif

faint.gif

"Well we could have charged him with obstruction of justice, or interfering with a police officer"...whatever they threatened to charge him with...what BS!:banghead:

John Canuck

Where do they find these officers? Will I be able to add a stamp to my apologist bingo card from this thread?

The Trickster

"In essence, you were defying a police officer's orders."

Spoken like a true tool. I wonder if the camerawoman would be willing to defy "a police officer's orders" if she was ordered by one to have sex with him, lest she be tased? Apples to oranges, I know. Yet, when mandatory compliance is expected regardless of any legal or moral authority to demand it, where does it end?

Freedom1Man

Spoken like a true tool. I wonder if the camerawoman would be willing to defy "a police officer's orders" if she was ordered by one to have sex with him, lest she be tased? Apples to oranges, I know. Yet, when mandatory compliance is expected regardless of any legal or moral authority to demand it, where does it end?

That would be an interesting case. It's more apples to apples than you might think.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

In a place like Lexington Green on the morning of March 19, 1775.

Or, more humorously, on a Boston street where two customs inspectors tried to break into a barricaded shop under authority of a Writ of Assistance to command passersby to help them. Things got a little out of hand and the inspectors abandoned the attempt, deciding it was best to avoid bloodshed--their own. :)

Redbaron007

That would be an interesting case. It's more apples to apples than you might think.

Please feel free to cite any case law or ordinance for that state that substantiates this. It has been discussed in another forum....using some state law, but seems to only to be effective for 'public property', doesn't address private property. From a criminal standpoint, they have to have a statute to charge them(I guess you could charge him with anything, but the prosecutor prolly would not appreciate them wasting their time).

From a civil standpoint, the police officers/city may have some concern.....if the facts remain relatively the same.

Last edited: