• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-free companies- BEWARE!

augustarichard

I hope to post, as needed, on stores that are not gun friendly. First entry, Costco. I have shopped Costco since it opened in Augusta and recently went in and was asked about my open-carry. I produced my permission slip, license, and was told that they do not welcome guns in the store, news to me. I left, phoned corporate, and was told that their corporate policy is no guns. Now I do not give my money to Costco. Wal-Mart allows open carry (yes, I know, I should not give my money to either but that is a different issue) and will get my business. I have only had a few confrontations in the years that I have open carried and most of them are with Nosy Rosie and Johhnie Do-good asking why I carry a gun, "Are you law enforcement?" I always mock them by telling them 'no, it is just easier than carry a cop around". I did have one of these encounters in McDonald's and the manager was approached by another patron and he told her that he did not like it but that it was allowed by state law and there was nothing that he could do about it.
I could only find one site that had any kind of 'registry' of gun friendly/unfriendly businesses- friendorfoe.us. If you know of another please respond so that we can support those that support our rights and withdraw support from those that make us unsafe.

conandan

I hope to post, as needed, on stores that are not gun friendly. First entry, Costco. I have shopped Costco since it opened in Augusta and recently went in and was asked about my open-carry. I produced my permission slip, license, and was told that they do not welcome guns in the store, news to me. I left, phoned corporate, and was told that their corporate policy is no guns. Now I do not give my money to Costco. Wal-Mart allows open carry (yes, I know, I should not give my money to either but that is a different issue) and will get my business. I have only had a few confrontations in the years that I have open carried and most of them are with Nosy Rosie and Johhnie Do-good asking why I carry a gun, "Are you law enforcement?" I always mock them by telling them 'no, it is just easier than carry a cop around". I did have one of these encounters in McDonald's and the manager was approached by another patron and he told her that he did not like it but that it was allowed by state law and there was nothing that he could do about it.
I could only find one site that had any kind of 'registry' of gun friendly/unfriendly businesses- friendorfoe.us. If you know of another please respond so that we can support those that support our rights and withdraw support from those that make us unsafe.

I have noticed that when you oc no matter how many times you have been there. All it takes is one person to go to the management and complain. Regardless of the store's policy they tend to side with the person who complains and not your rights. The business don't want to deal with upset costomers in order to defend you. There are few exceptions to this but that is what you can expect. It's never worth fighting your position on their property then you could face trespass charges.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You should not answer "are you a LEO?" ... just say "that's classified" or "how can I be a LEO, I just got out of the pen yesterday for murder"

Either answer and they'll leave you alone

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Costco... was told that their corporate policy is no guns. Now I do not give my money to Costco...

They will also give you a full refund on your entire year's membership dues if you cancel your membership because of this. PLEASE take them up on this. Help us make them understand this is a fiscal policy for them, even if they disrespect us.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"are you a LEO?"

"Why yes, what's your sign?" [wink]

...especially effective with those macho types who wear their dick on their sleeve.

Oddly, these types are usually feminists... Why do they ahve a bigger ego problem than any of the men they hate?

Last edited:

augustarichard

They will also give you a full refund on your entire year's membership dues if you cancel your membership because of this. PLEASE take them up on this. Help us make them understand this is a fiscal policy for them, even if they disrespect us.

I would love to do that; however, I am riding on someone else's account. I did tell corporate that they would not be getting any more of my money. The sheeple don't really care. Heck, they think that I am a nut.

MKEgal

Richard, welcome to OCDO. Please browse, use the search feature, etc. There's lots of knowledge here for the asking.

As for the "are you a cop?" people, there are threads about that too, what people's favorite or most effective answers are.
I like: no, I'm a citizen.
It usually makes them blink & regroup.

Jack House

They don't ask you to leave, they just have the police murder you in the parking lot after you leave on your own.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

RJK1977

Gun unfriendly

Went to two stores that are gun unfriendly. First one is Denny's and the other is Vintage Stock. Warning do not patronize these two stores.

mikefrommt

I have to laugh about the costco issue. About 4 years ago they put up a sign in Morrow. After some internet research helped me to see their stance, I promptly returned a 5 year old pressure washer, and a whole bunch of smaller stuff. They refunded all my money as well as my membership fee and we parted ways. Best breakup I've ever had. :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have to laugh about the costco issue. About 4 years ago they put up a sign in Morrow. After some internet research helped me to see their stance, I promptly returned a 5 year old pressure washer, and a whole bunch of smaller stuff. They refunded all my money as well as my membership fee and we parted ways. Best breakup I've ever had. :)

How u gonna clean your guns without a power washer?:cool:

MKEgal

since this necro thread has already been resurrected...

RJK1977 said:
Went to two stores that are gun unfriendly. First one is Denny's and the other is Vintage Stock. Warning do not patronize these two stores.
This thread is in the Georgia forum, and while it includes references to some national companies (Costco), it helps if you include the location of the problem store so other Georgians can know where not to go.

And sometimes it's just a local problem, not a national policy.
For example, I've been in the Denny's in Wauwatosa, WI (suburb of Milwaukee) while OC several times with no problem. I only wish I'd had to make a trip to the lady's room while we were dining, 'cause on our way to pay our bill when I walked past the table full of about 12 rowdy urban youths they got real quiet. I'd have loved to have that quiet while I was eating & talking with my friend. And at night, it's best to be armed there.

Last edited: