• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine CCW permit wait times when going through local PD

Motodeficient

Hey everyone!

Just curious for anyone who is getting their CCW permit through their local police authority, what your wait times are/have been. I know the the local PD still has to go through the state. Its been just over 7 weeks since I submitted my application. I hope the wait isn't a lot longer but I have a feeling it will be.

Flashlight

Hey everyone!

Just curious for anyone who is getting their CCW permit through their local police authority, what your wait times are/have been. I know the the local PD still has to go through the state. Its been just over 7 weeks since I submitted my application. I hope the wait isn't a lot longer but I have a feeling it will be.

Mine took about 8 weeks. I called and filed complaints to get them to issue it (this was after 30 days as required by law) but they didn't. Shane called on my behalf and I got it the following week. This was two years ago. I hear it is worse now. Call, keep calling and file complaints.

Last edited:

Motodeficient

Mine took about 8 weeks. I called and filed complaints to get them to issue it (this was after 30 days as required by law) but they didn't. Shane called on my behalf and I got it the following week. This was two years ago. I hear it is worse now. Call, keep calling and file complaints.

Who do I file complaints with. My local PD said they are just waiting on the state capital to respond, so its note the local PDs fault... Who the heck is shane? LOL

boyscout399

The law says that the PD must issue or deny the permit within 30 days. The law doesn't say that the issuing authority must issue the permit within 30 days unless the state takes longer to process it. If they have no cause to deny the permit when the 30 days are up, then they must issue the permit.

Your complaint should be to the PD, and to the state attorney general. You could also try to file a writ of mandamus with the district court to get a court order forcing the PD to do their duty and issue the permit as required by state law.

SPOProds

The law says that the PD must issue or deny the permit within 30 days. The law doesn't say that the issuing authority must issue the permit within 30 days unless the state takes longer to process it. If they have no cause to deny the permit when the 30 days are up, then they must issue the permit.

Your complaint should be to the PD, and to the state attorney general. You could also try to file a writ of mandamus with the district court to get a court order forcing the PD to do their duty and issue the permit as required by state law.

Just to add, the time limit is 60 days if you've been a resident for less than 5yrs.

Also, Orono PD told me "about a month", this was Oct. 18th. I'll update when I actually receive it.

Motodeficient

Yeah I submitted my application Sept 25th, and local PD also told me to figure on waiting a month. I inquired while I was there voting on Nov 6th, and they said there were just waiting on a response from Augusta.

SPOProds

Yeah I submitted my application Sept 25th, and local PD also told me to figure on waiting a month. I inquired while I was there voting on Nov 6th, and they said there were just waiting on a response from Augusta.

I would email/call the Chief. Politely state it has been over the 30 day statutory time limit and you would like to know what is going on. CC the email to the AG.

Marcus92183

the state police announced the longer wait periods currently because of the volume of applications. i have a friend who submitted his almost 2 months ago they said they lost his paperwork it was found later but he still hasn't received his response keep calling

boyscout399

the state police announced the longer wait periods currently because of the volume of applications. i have a friend who submitted his almost 2 months ago they said they lost his paperwork it was found later but he still hasn't received his response keep calling

The statute doesn't say "issue the permit within 30 days unless you have a high volume of applications." The law requires them to issue the permit if they don't have cause to refuse it. The law gives them 30 days to do their research. If they can't do the research in that time, then they must issue the permit. The state police are simply ignoring the law. It's lawfully and morally wrong.

Motodeficient

issue or deny but if you start being hostile they can just deny your application

This is what I am afraid of. They have no grounds to deny my permit, my only ever run-in with the law is a couple speeding tickets 12 years ago. I still am nervous to push the issue.

SPOProds

This is what I am afraid of. They have no grounds to deny my permit, my only ever run-in with the law is a couple speeding tickets 12 years ago. I still am nervous to push the issue.

There are plenty of people around here to help you if they do deny you. The statutes are very precise about what is a reason for denial. "Pushing the issue" and speeding tickets are not listed.

PiercedMaineOC

Come next Saturday, I'll be at 90 days waiting for PPD to give me an answer... when I last called Internal Affairs (end of last month), I was told I should I know by the end of this month. They are waiting for my medical release to come back from Riverside. The lady I spoke with said they are notoriously slow and are averaging 30 days through the summer and 2+ through the winter months. I was told Dorithia Dix responded in two days. That's my experience thus far. Will keep everyone updated.

SPOProds

Come next Saturday, I'll be at 90 days waiting for PPD to give me an answer... when I last called Internal Affairs (end of last month), I was told I should I know by the end of this month. They are waiting for my medical release to come back from Riverside. The lady I spoke with said they are notoriously slow and are averaging 30 days through the summer and 2+ through the winter months. I was told Dorithia Dix responded in two days. That's my experience thus far. Will keep everyone updated.

Email the AG.

How do we fix this here. I somewhat helped fix things in CT with wait times and extra requirements.

SPOProds

In Orono. Just picked my permit up not 10 mins ago. Dropped off Oct. 18 received Nov. 26(issued day 39) Resident less than 5 years.

No state ID required. I did, however, receive this nice reminder letter from the chief on state law and getting a new ID.

anaqebyg.jpg

Last edited:

Motodeficient

Congrats on getting it so quickly.

But that also pisses me off. I submitted my app 62 days ago. I've lived in this state for 29 years, with nothing on my record ever.

Last edited:

mc_yankee

I am still waiting on Hampden PD... Been 30 days today. Figure I will cut them some slack due to the amount of Holidays during the 30 day period. I plan to call Friday for an update though

SPOProds

Congrats on getting it so quickly.

But that also pisses me off. I submitted my app 62 days ago. I've lived in this state for 29 years, with nothing on my record ever.

Write an email/letter to the AG and the chief. File a writ of mandamus if necessary.

Pm me if you'd like some free advice.

Free advice is ADVICE that is FREE, take it for what it is.

Motodeficient

Augusta must have released a batch of these or something today, my local PD just called and said my permit is ready.