• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letters to Our Elected Officials

Ravendove

I figured now would be the time to start contacting our senators and representatives so I wrote this letter to Rep. Madden and Sen. Shapiro. Just figured I'd share it here and see what kinds of things you guys have sent in.

Dear ************,

I am writing to voice my support for a bill to allow unconcealed carry by license holders in the state of Texas.

As a resident, I'm sure you're aware of the particularly warm climate we're blessed with during the Spring, Summer, and Fall months of the year. Likewise, I'm sure you're cognizant of the impact that has on concealing a firearm for self-defense. In addition to this, I can tell you from personal experience that "open carry" can be a very effective deterrent to violence and has kept me from being the victim of violence in the past. Concealed carry, while a valid practice, also makes drawing a firearm from a seated position very difficult in most configurations.

So, for these and many other reasons I've opted to omit for the sake of brevity, I would like to propose removing subsection a and h from Penal Code section 46.035, and adding the language “unless licensed under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code” to subsection 1 of section 46.02.

Would you be willing to support this effort? If so, is this the method by which you feel we would best achieve this goal? I look forward to hearing from you in response to my questions and I thank you for taking the time to read my request.

Sincerely,

mustangkiller

The only thing wrong with your letter is the part that mentions a person licensed under chapter 411. The language there implies that people with out of state licenses can not OC because they are licensed under someone else's authority.

Ravendove

The only thing wrong with your letter is the part that mentions a person licensed under chapter 411. The language there implies that people with out of state licenses can not OC because they are licensed under someone else's authority.

Constitutional carry would be great if we could get it. Given our legislature's history on this subject, though, I'd rather walk away from this session with something rather than nothing because we decided to try for too much too quickly.

KBCraig

They can only carry in Texas if their out of state license is recognized under the authority of GC 411, meaning they are carrying under authority of GC 411, no matter who issues their license.

pooley

They can only carry in Texas if their out of state license is recognized under the authority of GC 411, meaning they are carrying under authority of GC 411, no matter who issues their license.

That's correct. A person with an out of state license recognized by Texas is still considered to be licensed under the authority of 411.

KBCraig

That's correct. A person with an out of state license recognized by Texas is still considered to be licensed under the authority of 411.

Now if only the ATF could get that through their thick skulls when it comes to GFSZA...