• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

soliciting opinons for a new AR type rifle

acfreddie

I am looking at expanding and getting a new AR type rifle .223/5.56 nato (this will be my first)

My budget is around $1,000 to $1,200 (but is not set in stone).

Here is what I want in my rifle purchase: a durable rifle (I like to buy a rifle that will last 10,000+ rounds through years of usage); easy to use (easy to clean, easy to do small repairs); have fun at the range with and uses inexpensive ammo (rifle needs to be able to use inexpensive ammo).

I have been looking at the Sig M400 (my initial 1st choice), the Colt LE6920 (my initial 2nd choice) and the S&W M&P15 (sku 811000).

How I came up with my initial rankings is having handled all three of the rifles and based on how they felt during my handling (not shooting them).

I am asking if anyone has any of the three mentioned rifles who would care to share their experiences with them and if no owners, someone who has used one or anyone that has any other recommendations based on owning one or having range time with any of the rifles.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Move this thread to general discussion or the social lounge.....and then I'll be happy to provide my advice and my opinions and I'll even post a pic of my beautiful AR.

DJEEPER

My input :)
DJRichmondOC1.jpg

acfreddie

My bad, I have this site book marked and forgot it comes to this (Virginia) section.

Can a mod or admin please mope it to the appropriate section of the board, it would be greatly appreciated

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My bad, I have this site book marked and forgot it comes to this (Virginia) section.

Can a mod or admin please mope it to the appropriate section of the board, it would be greatly appreciated

Done - that was the easiest fix of the day :lol:

Now the advice/suggestions can flow and I'm sure there will be many.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Mine is a conglomeration of parts. I started with a basic Bushmaster rifle with a carry handle and slowly switched stuff out as funds became available. The upper receiver, stock, forearm, trigger, sights, and a few other things have been in replaced. Now I have a custom rifle with everything I want, this is the route I recommend for people looking at AR-15s. It ends up being about the same price or even a little cheaper than a fully-loaded rifle bought new.

8ymabyru.jpg

And once you get your AR done, you can start on your AK.

e5a9ady8.jpg

Last edited:

09jisaac

I got an M&P and 1000 rounds of steel cased wolf for my 16th Christmas (I am 21 now). The first 150 or so rounds the gun wouldn't function at all. Every two or three shots would result in a FTF, I was very disappointed. Around the 300 rounds mark it really started straighten up, since after 500 rounds to now I haven't had one single malfunction I would contribute to the gun.

moonie

Preferred caliber? How much on average do you allow for your builds, sans optics and such?

One is 6.8 SPC Spec II the other is 300AAC Blackout. I have about $650 in the 6.8 and about $500 in the 300. Not including optics or reloading/casting associated expenses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One is 6.8 SPC Spec II the other is 300AAC Blackout. I have about $650 in the 6.8 and about $500 in the 300. Not including optics or reloading/casting associated expenses.

That is a considerable savings over factory builds.