• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sign the Petition, fellow Virginians:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP And since the STATE/Commonwealth would have to do so, why the petition is not to the Governor?

Because Patrick Henry isn't the governor anymore. :)

Historical note: If Henry had his way, VA would never have ratified the constitution. Henry was a very vocal anti-constitutionalist (sometimes called Anti-federalists). He and many others quickly figured out the constitution would give us a powerful central government that would break its chains and worked vigorously to oppose ratification. The problem for the Anti-federalists seems to be partly that many of them focused on the lack of a Bill of Rights, a simple and easy argument for salt-of-the-earth people to grasp. Madison & Co. pulled an shrewd manuver by agreeing to add a Bill of Rights. Suddenly a lot of the opposition was satisfied, leaving men like Patrick Henry isolated in their opposition, too few in number to prevent ratification. History shows us too well how very right Patrick Henry was.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
..:lol:..:lol:..:lol:

We'll let them find out when they encounter the toll booths at the VA end of the Potomac bridges. Too bad for them if they get all the way across the bridge before finding out; they had their chance to move the border to the middle of the channel back in 1865. :)

Ahhhh. Nice daydream, eh?

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I'll be there this weekend, I'll have to stop by and check it out. I usually eat at Anthony's when I'm there. What don't you like about Front Royal? I've always loved it there.

Not the best place to discuss this as it would veer from forum topical subject matter.

Melting Pot Pizza is on the 522 Bypass about one block from the intersection with 340. If you like pretty much anything on your pizza, order in in their All The Way style. Just the best.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Because Patrick Henry isn't the governor anymore. :)

Historical note: If Henry had his way, VA would never have ratified the constitution. Henry was a very vocal anti-constitutionalist (sometimes called Anti-federalists). He and many others quickly figured out the constitution would give us a powerful central government that would break its chains and worked vigorously to oppose ratification. The problem for the Anti-federalists seems to be partly that many of them focused on the lack of a Bill of Rights, a simple and easy argument for salt-of-the-earth people to grasp. Madison & Co. pulled an shrewd manuver by agreeing to add a Bill of Rights. Suddenly a lot of the opposition was satisfied, leaving men like Patrick Henry isolated in their opposition, too few in number to prevent ratification. History shows us too well how very right Patrick Henry was.

Patrick Henry and George Mason were so adamant in their insistence on a Bill of Rights that they refuse to ratify the Constitution with this. Madison believed that there was no need for a Bill of Rights because the Constitution already spelled out what the federal government was allowed to do, but Henry and Mason would have none of it. They finally managed to convince Madison and the rest is history as they say. The one thing that our delegates did do was to include a caveat with their ratification. This effectively made Virginia secession legal since the Constitution is a contract between the states and the Federal government.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/ratva.asp

Our Virginia Founders were indeed wise men.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Patrick Henry and George Mason were so adamant in their insistence on a Bill of Rights that they refuse to ratify the Constitution with this. Madison believed that there was no need for a Bill of Rights because the Constitution already spelled out what the federal government was allowed to do, but Henry and Mason would have none of it. They finally managed to convince Madison and the rest is history as they say. The one thing that our delegates did do was to include a caveat with their ratification. This effectively made Virginia secession legal since the Constitution is a contract between the states and the Federal government.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/ratva.asp

Our Virginia Founders were indeed wise men.

Where my understanding differs is that Henry did not accept the constitution after the Bill of Rights was added. For him the lack of a Bill of Rights was a secondary argument to add persuasion toward opposition. His main objection was a powerful central government.

USNA69

Then don't sign it.
Gheese I get tired of listening to that crap.
It makes a statement if nothing else.

When you come up with that better plan you must have up your sleeve...please post it!

WhatI did not like was the requirement to provide your e-mail address to whitehouse.gov in order to sign. Now they have the signers on file.
Looking back, I should have created a a new e-mail address in order to receive the confirmation e-mail, then deleted the address.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ok, I'll ask.. what does this silly fake petition discussion have to do with Open Carry in Virginia?

You may think it is silly, but there are already 800,000 residents in 50 states that might disagree with you.....and that number is growing daily.
http://tinyurl.com/b7kk34c

Is it "fake" or is the intent just not obvious to you? This is a well thought out effort that has gone viral - it [strike]will[/strike] is getting considerable attention. The results will be published. It does require a response and I think OCDO will carry the news.

Now do I think that each of the states individually could make a go of it? Not really, but a confederation/amalgamation of states more in keeping with what the founding fathers envisioned would be refreshing. Still not likely, but we've already agreed that isn't the intent of the petition.

What does this have to do with OC in Va? If OC specific postings were the only thing permitted in the state sub-forums, then the question might have more merit, but there are other things that qualify and they run a broad range. Consider CC classes, red light cameras, Guns Save lives products + local and state elections - that list is not all inclusive either. AND then we have the recent presidential/congressional election which was covered in the Virginia sub-forum, which brings us to the point - many people are immensely dissatisfied with the results of that election and the path our representative leaders have chosen for us. They are the conservatives, the freedom lovers, the solid proponents of the RKBA. This is one way they can protest legally, unlike some of the more radical responses that have floated around this forum.

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
You may think it is silly, but there are already 800,000 residents in 50 states that might disagree with you.....and that number is growing daily.
http://tinyurl.com/b7kk34c

Is it "fake" or is the intent just not obvious to you? This is a well thought out effort that has gone viral - it [strike]will[/strike] is getting considerable attention. The results will be published. It does require a response and I think OCDO will carry the news.

Now do I think that each of the states individually could make a go of it? Not really, but a confederation/amalgamation of states more in keeping with what the founding fathers envisioned would be refreshing. Still not likely, but we've already agreed that isn't the intent of the petition.

What does this have to do with OC in Va? If OC specific postings were the only thing permitted in the state sub-forums, then the question might have more merit, but there are other things that qualify and they run a broad range. Consider CC classes, red light cameras, Guns Save lives products + local and state elections - that list is not all inclusive either. AND then we have the recent presidential/congressional election which was covered in the Virginia sub-forum, which brings us to the point - many people are immensely dissatisfied with the results of that election and the path our representative leaders have chosen for us. They are the conservatives, the freedom lovers, the solid proponents of the RKBA. This is one way they can protest legally, unlike some of the more radical responses that have floated around this forum.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Good point, Ed.

May I suggest though that it might be something less than desirable to annoy a moderator into strict enforcement of the rules. Lets just pretend this thread is in the social lounge this one time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

So we have a difference of opinion as to how the rules are to be applied and when, perhaps it would have been of benefit to ask for a decision from John first. Are all of the similar threads in other state sub-forums being moved also? Seems precipitous and arbitary if not.

I had already requested a decision from John. I can abide by whatever verdict he gives.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Too late. I've already posted in other states' threads. Kinda unfair to ask them not to post here in my state's subforum, now.

You're probably right - I'll delete that reference.

The original thought though was based on this thread being the only one in General Discussion.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

You're probably right - I'll delete that reference.

The original thought though was based on this thread being the only one in General Discussion.

Well now that that's repealed, John did post this on the Washington forum yesterday for a similiar thread...

I have received several reports of this post asking me to remove it as off-topic. After thinking about it, I am going to leave it since it IS about the Washington petition.

I know that a lot of people see these petitions as a vehicle for sending a message of dissatisfaction after the election.

However, I think it is important to publicly state that OCDO is NOT in support of seeing the nation torn apart.

Our vision is of an America where our Constitutional protections are fully realized for all people in all states. The ONLY way to do that is to keep America strong.

The best way to fight to system is to BECOME the system.

We do this by electing pro-liberty candidates at the local, state, and federal level.

We do this by making sure the next generation is educated about gun rights and other pro-liberty issues.

We do this by challenging violations of rights in the courts.

We do this by inviting people to go shooting.

We don't do this by taking our ball and going home.

John

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You don't mind if I copy that to use on those off topic threads, especially the trinket salesmen and CHiPpers.....do you Ed?

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to find a deep answer Tess.
It's a protest, and a pretty good one if you ask me. No one seriously thinks we're going to secede...or at least I hope not.

They are required to accept and respond to petitions that gather 25000 names in a month or whatever the time period is.

Individuals could just send FU emails but they won't make past the spam filters. Here hundreds of thousands of people are saying FU and the Government is required to publish it.

As far as sending anything to Toll Booth Bob, he isn't going to look at it. The Feds might cut off his highway funds.

They're not even required to do that. No law or regulation compels it. This is a site on which the administration has said they'll respond to topics that get the required number of names. The administration knows this is a cutesy PR stunt and, if they answer at all, it's going to be a blanket "No. Shut up and color."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They're not even required to do that. No law or regulation compels it. This is a site on which the administration has said they'll respond to topics that get the required number of names. The administration knows this is a cutesy PR stunt and, if they answer at all, it's going to be a blanket "No. Shut up and color."

OK, I didn't look up a law, just read the form....now, your point is?

You're free to complain about it all you want. That won't influence what I do in the least, I'm just curious about why. It was off topic but Ed took care of that (which is interesting in itself and I hope isn't setting the stage for political discussions he doesn't like)

Don't feel ignored if I don't answer. I'm going hunting for the next few days or a week. ( I haven't killed anything this week)

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I have left the threads discussing the individual petitions in the individual state forums because there is great interest in discussing the issue.

Therefore, I have moved the thread back to the Virginia forum.

John

Tess

Founder's Club Member
OK, I didn't look up a law, just read the form....now, your point is?

You're free to complain about it all you want. That won't influence what I do in the least, I'm just curious about why. It was off topic but Ed took care of that (which is interesting in itself and I hope isn't setting the stage for political discussions he doesn't like)

Don't feel ignored if I don't answer. I'm going hunting for the next few days or a week. ( I haven't killed anything this week)

Not complaining at all. Because I don't support secession doesn't mean others agree.

I am simply amused that those who claim to support it feel the need to ask the White House.