• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

River Falls man pleads no contest in killing friend last June.

Law abider

This is the most stupid and tragic story I have heard. RF is not too far from where I live. These were our soldiers?? Is this something they dare in military towards each other and for what? Show how macho or stupid they are? I am shaking my head. Now I heard of an event at the Madison breakfast: unholstering/pointing guns. Any comments?

http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/49404/

Last edited:

NoTolerance

HUDSON - A River Falls man has pleaded no contest to shooting a friend to death in June of last year.

27-year-old Anthony Velure struck a plea deal, and he was convicted on a Saint Croix County charge of homicide by a dangerous weapon or explosive. A sentencing date has not been set.

Velure was accused of shooting 24-year-old Joshua Kurer at the victim’s apartment in River Falls. According to officials, Velure thought that a small-caliber Taurus Judge handgun was unleaded when he pointed it at Kurer while the two talked about going out. When Velure pulled the trigger for a second time, it fired – and it wounded Kurer in the chest.

Police said the two served in the military together, and Velure told investigators they had pointed unleaded guns at each other and pulled the triggers at least a half-dozen times before.

I wonder what the octane level was...

Darwin wins again.

Yetiman

Turns out it was leaded...

It turns out it WAS leaded...

Talk about terminally stupid.

MKEgal

small-caliber Taurus Judge
Isn't that a contradiction?
I thought the Judge was the thing that can take shotgun shells.

As for the person being charged, he had been lucky in the past but violating the safety rules finally caught up with him.
1) all guns are always loaded
2) keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
3) don't point the gun at anything you're not ready to destroy
[4) know your target & what's beyond]

The more rules you violate at once, the more likely something Really Bad is going to happen.

Old Grump

Nothing to do with being in the military and everything to do with being young and drunk. Not everybody who goes through safety training is going to be safe if they don't have the mindset that safety is a good thing for everybody and not just for wimps. A lot of us are alive today because we either had it beat into our heads when very young or we were lucky and outgrew the stupid phase before our luck ran out.

Last edited:

Law abider

I heartly agree with MKE and Old Grump. What shocked me was that they both had military training and thought they knew better. But as you said...