Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

  1. #1
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    Asked to leave or cover your firearm? Do you try to explain that OC is perfectly legal and you're doing nothing wrong, give in and cover/put the gun in the car, or just leave the business and go somewhere else?
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    It doesn't happen often. When it does, I go elsewhere.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    The one and only time it happened to me, there were several cops backing up the invitation, so---I left.

    I usually recommend immediately walking to the door. If the building allows, I suggest asking the company rep to accompany you to the door and remonstrating with him/her on the way out.

    "Yes, ma'am. Happy to oblige. Lets talk on my way out." Then, as you are walking out you can try various comments to see if you can make a dent in the request:

    "Who would you rather have in your store, a person who takes responsibility for their own safety or a fraidy cat?" Of course, you have to be careful you're not insulting the employee.

    "You know carry is legal, right?"

    Etc. Just something to break the ice. In fact, an even better ice-breaker might be

    "Gee, you must hate having to put out a responsible customer. I'm sorry your employer put you in that position. How do you handle it?"

    You never know, by the time you get to the door, they may change their mind. The point is that by walking to the door, you don't get into contention about leaving. And, more importantly that contention is not in the way of your attempted handling. I got five bucks that even if they don't change their mind, almost all of them will at least stop and talk to you for a few minutes at the door or just outside.

    I always urge never, ever mention that there were no signs. If you ask, they will come. Then even the respectful CCers will be disarmed or forced to not patronize. And, don't argue. Its pointless, and just likely to make the other person dig in their heels.
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-15-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member FerretMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    73
    If you're asked to leave by an agent of the establishment (pretty sure any employee, anyone have a cite?) you should do so, as the police can arrest for trespassing if you remain. If they come up and say they don't want the gun in the establishment, then I'll usually try to explain the legalities up until the point where I'm asked to leave. If they ask me to put it in the car and come back, I tell them I will leave but that I won't be back.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by FerretMI View Post
    If you're asked to leave by an agent of the establishment (pretty sure any employee, anyone have a cite?) you should do so, as the police can arrest for trespassing if you remain. If they come up and say they don't want the gun in the establishment, then I'll usually try to explain the legalities up until the point where I'm asked to leave. If they ask me to put it in the car and come back, I tell them I will leave but that I won't be back.
    I'm not singling you out, Ferret. I am more addressing a point that has been repeated on this forum across time.

    I've had good luck with cleanly acknowledging in a friendly way the person's right to hold that opinion. I once had a young restaurant hostess make a comment hostile to guns. I replied that the wonderful thing about our country was the freedom to hold such an opinion. I said it in a friendly way, no rancor or counter-antagonism. A couple visits later to the same restaurant, the hostess had a couple friends at the podium. A friend asked about the gun, not in total opposition, but you could tell she wasn't happy about it. The hostess, my former antagonist, promptly spoke up in support of the right to keep and bear arms (her words)!!!!!

    So, a kind acknowledgement placed just right must have got the hostess to thinking, whereas surely a bitter comment would have just set her opinion even harder.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    If they ask, leave. But as mentioned before try to get an escort and get employee name on the way out. Then call from your car or disarm and come back to talk to a manager. If it was a manager call corporate. If its a single owner mom and pop shop leave a no gun no business card and leave with a smile. Simple. Failure to leave is a trespass-able offense and you may be cited/ jailed. It is after all private property.
    Last edited by Sorcice; 11-16-2012 at 02:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    I leave. I don't stand there and argue about my rights , state law, or how I'll never be back (I do that later via email). I simply and quickly leave.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I leave. I don't stand there and argue about my rights , state law, or how I'll never be back (I do that later via email). I simply and quickly leave.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    I had a mother in law who refused to leave our house. The look on her face was priceless as grabbed her by the hair and and seat of her pants and threw her out the door.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    If they ask, leave. But as mentioned before try to get an escort and get employee name on the way out. Then call from your car or disarm and come back to talk to a manager. If it was a manager call corporate. If its a single owner mom and pop shop leave a no gun no business card and leave with a smile. Simple. Failure to leave is a trespass-able offense and you may be cited/ jailed. It is after all private property.
    If the place of business just tells a person to leave, and does not tell them they can come back unarmed, it is unwise to return.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member Get2DahChopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Warren. Michigan
    Posts
    65

    Re: So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I had a mother in law who refused to leave our house. The look on her face was priceless as grabbed her by the hair and and seat of her pants and threw her out the door.
    In the south this may fly. Here if the old bat called the cops, someone is going to jail, and it probably ain't her:what:

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Get2DahChopper View Post
    In the south this may fly. Here if the old bat called the cops, someone is going to jail, and it probably ain't her:what:
    I was the cops, and she had a illegal concealed handgun in her purse, which I confiscated before I tossed her from the house. She had threatened me with it right before she got the surprise of her life.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I've never been asked to leave, but if I am I will simply ask for that persons name so that I can contact corporate and make a complaint against them and leave.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  14. #14
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    My long standing theory is that it's so rare to be kicked out of somewhere, especially if you look and act respectable, that I consider it a good milestone that marks the passage of a lot of time OCing when you get kicked out of a business.

    It's a good time to celebrate that you're OCing a lot. With this attitude, you can actually look forward to those times you get told to get told to leave, rather than hoping it doesn't happen.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  15. #15
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I was the cops, and she had a illegal concealed handgun in her purse, which I confiscated before I tossed her from the house. She had threatened me with it right before she got the surprise of her life.
    PRICELESS!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    My long standing theory is that it's so rare to be kicked out of somewhere, especially if you look and act respectable, that I consider it a good milestone that marks the passage of a lot of time OCing when you get kicked out of a business.

    It's a good time to celebrate that you're OCing a lot. With this attitude, you can actually look forward to those times you get told to get told to leave, rather than hoping it doesn't happen.
    I act responsible wherever I go..now look, there's a different story. I've seen pictures of a few of you guys, you look like..well, normal Americans

    Me...I don't exactly wear button down shirts and slacks. I have a mohawk, and lots of tattoos. People generally think I'm up to no good, even when I don't have a gun on my hip. I refuse to cover my tattoos and feel about as strongly about it as covering my firearm, so I may just be the most hassled OCer in the future. We'll see how it goes!
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I act responsible wherever I go..now look, there's a different story. I've seen pictures of a few of you guys, you look like..well, normal Americans

    Me...I don't exactly wear button down shirts and slacks. I have a mohawk, and lots of tattoos. People generally think I'm up to no good, even when I don't have a gun on my hip. I refuse to cover my tattoos and feel about as strongly about it as covering my firearm, so I may just be the most hassled OCer in the future. We'll see how it goes!
    You shouldn't have to cover your tattoos, I bet there are more tattooed members here than you think. And a few of us long haired hairy faced boogey men.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    You shouldn't have to cover your tattoos, I bet there are more tattooed members here than you think. And a few of us long haired hairy faced boogey men.
    I have a tattoo of a sun around my anus....
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  19. #19
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I have a tattoo of a sun around my anus....
    I forgot how much you scare me sometimes in the 9 months that I was gone.

    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  20. #20
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I have a tattoo of a sun around my anus....
    That seems like it would burn...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  21. #21
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    So what exactly do you guys do when asked to leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    That seems like it would burn...
    Don't know. I've never had it done, but the idea got some interesting reactions, didn't it?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  22. #22
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    Hahahahaha!!!!


    LINK REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: "My eyes ... my poor eyes!" Google if you are of such a mind.
    Last edited by John Pierce; 11-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  23. #23
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Hahahahaha!!!!


    LINK REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: "My eyes ... my poor eyes!" Google if you are of such a mind.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there goes my lunch.
    Last edited by John Pierce; 11-19-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  24. #24
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    LoL... sorry, I warned you guys...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Near Lapeer (Hadley), Michigan, USA
    Posts
    932
    i've been open carrying for years now and the only time i've been asked to leave was the Capital Area District Library.

    It's kind of a non-issue.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

    I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •