Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

  1. #1
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

    I know, I'm posting a lot tonight, lack of sleep and too much redbull. I apologize.

    But..on a serious note, for those of you who don't have a CPL. Doesn't it get tiring for you to unholster/unload your firearm and put it in the trunk, and then load/holster it everytime you drive to a new place? I went to Meijers today and when I took my gun out of my trunk and put it in my holster a lady saw me and looked terrified, I felt kinda bad.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Umm, Meijers? They have a liquor license, and thus you shouldn't be carrying there to begin with if you don't have a CPL, since that is illegal. If you do have a CPL, why would your gun be in your trunk?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Umm, Meijers? They have a liquor license, and thus you shouldn't be carrying there to begin with if you don't have a CPL, since that is illegal. If you do have a CPL, why would your gun be in your trunk?
    Didn't actually make it inside Meijers because I got a phone call about 15 feet from the door and had to leave. Good thing too, since I totally forgot they had a liquor license.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  4. #4
    Regular Member FerretMI's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    73
    Mike, you can't be on the premises (i.e. even the parking lot) with a firearm without a CPL. For your own legal safety, please make sure you understand the laws more before OCing further.

    Check out this chart that helps make it simpler: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...6&d=1329051279

    The front side of this card also might help: http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/dow...mits_front.pdf

  5. #5
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FerretMI View Post
    Mike, you can't be on the premises (i.e. even the parking lot) with a firearm without a CPL. For your own legal safety, please make sure you understand the laws more before OCing further.

    Check out this chart that helps make it simpler: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...6&d=1329051279

    The front side of this card also might help: http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/dow...mits_front.pdf
    I can't even drive through their parking lot? 0.o

    I'm about to memorize all the information in your links, thank you.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  6. #6
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I can't even drive through their parking lot? 0.o
    There is good debate on the issue with good arguments from both sides. As it stands the safe answer for those new to this is "no."

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  7. #7
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    To answer your question...

    You get used to it. It's also best to try to park away from where most vehicles are. Also make sure you know the darn laws better please.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    When I renewed my CPL this last time I didn't get it in 60 days ahead of time so I anticipated a lag time where I would have to carry sans CPL. My plan was to carry a revolver so I wouldn't have to dink with chambering and unchambering a round every time I transfered the thing from the trunk to holster and back. Luckily it was only a two day lag.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  9. #9
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    When I renewed my CPL this last time I didn't get it in 60 days ahead of time so I anticipated a lag time where I would have to carry sans CPL. My plan was to carry a revolver so I wouldn't have to dink with chambering and unchambering a round every time I transfered the thing from the trunk to holster and back. Luckily it was only a two day lag.

    Bronson
    Taking my CPL course next friday, and then taking the cert to henry ruff first thing monday morning to get processed.

    Make my life MUCH less confusing.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  10. #10
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Umm, Meijers? They have a liquor license, and thus you shouldn't be carrying there to begin with if you don't have a CPL, since that is illegal. If you do have a CPL, why would your gun be in your trunk?
    Michigan Open Carry has obtained a letter from the AG's office saying it is ok to have it in the trunk. Of course, this letter and AGOs don't have binding force. There are those that disagree about your interpretation of parking lots.

    I will neither agree, disagree, nor get into another extended discussion about it. I will only say it's a grey area.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Get2DahChopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Warren. Michigan
    Posts
    65

    Re: Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Taking my CPL course next friday, and then taking the cert to henry ruff first thing monday morning to get processed.

    Make my life MUCH less confusing.
    Am I the only one or is MTG confusing everyone? You say you live in Novi-Northville area most of which is Oakland County. There is a small area of northville that is in Wayne Co. I think? Then going to westland makes sense.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I will only say it's a grey area.
    Yes, hence I didn't even mention it.

    The bottom line on that one is that unless you are getting searched, the cops aren't likely to know about it anyway, and you aren't likely to be searched if you aren't OCing. It's possible, but much less likely, so it seems a rather small point.

    The main thing to remember is to not OC without a CPL while in a CEZ.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    SNIP...

    The main thing to remember is to not OC without a CPL while in a CEZ.
    CEZ = Coroner's Employment Zones
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Get2DahChopper View Post
    Am I the only one or is MTG confusing everyone? You say you live in Novi-Northville area most of which is Oakland County. There is a small area of northville that is in Wayne Co. I think? Then going to westland makes sense.
    Haha. All you had to do was ask! Where I live is technically Northville Township, which is Wayne county. I have to go to Henry Ruff to get my CPL. If I lived about 600 feet north, I'd be in Novi, if I lived a mile east, I'd be in the actual City of Northville, which is tiny. & Both would mean I'd be in a different county.

    Confusing, tell me about it. I had to call 3 Sheriff offices and 4 city Police stations to figure out exactly where I had to go. Most of the time THEY didn't even know and gave me the number to somebody else who could help me. That was a very..very long 3 hours.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  15. #15
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Unhappy Dude :(

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Haha. All you had to do was ask! Where I live is technically Northville Township, which is Wayne county. I have to go to Henry Ruff to get my CPL. If I lived about 600 feet north, I'd be in Novi, if I lived a mile east, I'd be in the actual City of Northville, which is tiny. & Both would mean I'd be in a different county.

    Confusing, tell me about it. I had to call 3 Sheriff offices and 4 city Police stations to figure out exactly where I had to go. Most of the time THEY didn't even know and gave me the number to somebody else who could help me. That was a very..very long 3 hours.
    Eeewww! Poor Ba$Tard stuck in Wayne Co. They are one of the worst for getting a CPL. Their turn-around times vary wildly it could be 6 weeks if you are one of the lucky few, or 6 months. With these JOKERS it's anyone's guess. Those 600 ft are a nut buster dude. Oakland Co. is far superior in the CPL aspect; (and everything else).
    God save you and all who have to deal with those A$$MONKEY'S.

    Here's what you are dealing with (see link). The guy who starts this mess is the WaCo Sheriff member rep who sits on the gun board. You cannot see it from the camera's view but this guy snaps his fingers and demands the ID of the OCer closest to him. Then they get their panties all in a twist when they figure out they are on the wrong side of the law. Thanks again to all there who had my back. I am sure things would have went very differently if you had not been there, +1.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KiPh6xTwrGMMVQ Part 1

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8Xc...hannel&list=UL Part 2
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-16-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo/ link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Eeewww! Poor Ba$Tard stuck in Wayne Co. They are one of the worst for getting a CPL. Their turn-around times vary wildly it could be 6 weeks if you are one of the lucky few, or 6 months. With these JOKERS it's anyone's guess. Those 600 ft are a nut buster dude. Oakland Co. is far superior in the CPL aspect; (and everything else).
    God save you and all who have to deal with those A$$MONKEY'S.

    Here's what you are dealing with (see link). The guy who starts this mess is the WaCo Sheriff member rep who sits on the gun board. You cannot see it from the camera's view but this guy snaps his fingers and demands the ID of the OCer closest to him. Then they get their panties all in a twist when they figure out they are on the wrong side of the law. Thanks again to all there who had my back. I am sure things would have went very differently if you had not been there, +1.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KiPh6xTwrGMMVQ Part 1

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8Xc...hannel&list=UL Part 2
    My boss got his CPL recently (Also in wayne county) and from the time he took everything down there, got printed, and paid, and the time he got his CPL in the mail, was 14 days.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  17. #17
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    My boss got his CPL recently (Also in wayne county) and from the time he took everything down there, got printed, and paid, and the time he got his CPL in the mail, was 14 days.
    WOW! Unicorns do exist! Let's hope the same holds true for you... Keep us updated.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  18. #18
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    WOW! Unicorns do exist! Let's hope the same holds true for you... Keep us updated.
    Yessir! and this was after the city of Dearborn told him he had too many "police contacts" from his brothers getting arrested to give him a purchase permit.

    I had him tell the officer that he was going to call his lawyer, and she responded with "you can pick up your permit in 20 minutes"

    That's what I thought lady, nice try.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  19. #19
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    What a shame you guys have to go through this kind of hassle. And to think what you go through, others in our state want to do the same thing. This is why I watch the other state forums. Shame constitutional carry cannot be for all.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  20. #20
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    What a shame you guys have to go through this kind of hassle. And to think what you go through, others in our state want to do the same thing. This is why I watch the other state forums. Shame constitutional carry cannot be for all.
    Your words show your wisdom Sir! +1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  21. #21
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I know, I'm posting a lot tonight, lack of sleep and too much redbull. I apologize.

    But..on a serious note, for those of you who don't have a CPL. Doesn't it get tiring for you to unholster/unload your firearm and put it in the trunk, and then load/holster it everytime you drive to a new place? I went to Meijers today and when I took my gun out of my trunk and put it in my holster a lady saw me and looked terrified, I felt kinda bad.
    It's the main reason I got my CPL. I'd take my kids berry picking in the summer, and it would suck getting out, loading up, holstering, picking a patch clean, unload it, put it back in the car, drive a few hundred feet, get back out and do it all over again. The odds of me seeing a DNR officer where we go picking is somewhere between slim and none, but it would be my luck that the 1 time I would have said "screw it" and just kept it on the hip for those few hundred feet, a DNR officer would have showed up. Plus, it's nice to be able to carry walking out of the bush when its dark out after bow hunting.
    Rand Paul 2016

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I know, I'm posting a lot tonight, lack of sleep and too much redbull. I apologize.

    But..on a serious note, for those of you who don't have a CPL. Doesn't it get tiring for you to unholster/unload your firearm and put it in the trunk, and then load/holster it everytime you drive to a new place? I went to Meijers today and when I took my gun out of my trunk and put it in my holster a lady saw me and looked terrified, I felt kinda bad.
    If you get tired loading and unloading your gun, then your gun is way too big.

    But, take heart. There are solutions. Some guns that size come self-propelled. Just wiki "field" + "artillery". Some are even towed.

    You didn't happen to buy one with its wheels missing, did you?

    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  23. #23
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    Re: Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If you get tired loading and unloading your gun, then your gun is way too big.

    But, take heart. There are solutions. Some guns that size come self-propelled. Just wiki "field" + "artillery". Some are even towed.

    You didn't happen to buy one with its wheels missing, did you?

    haha it's a cz75b so yeeeeah it's kinda big.

    Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  24. #24
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Not as big as my 5" XD45 Tactical, I'd wager, and I regularly conceal that thing... lol.

  25. #25
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Just a side note. When I OC I do my best to park in an area that has very little traffic and will allow me to load and unload the easiest without people seeing. Today when I was leaving Home Depot I was parked about as far out as I could and all that was behind my vehicle was a grassy hill. I figured I was pretty safe as far as no one seeing me. When I was walking out my car another car parked a couple spots away from me and the guy just sat in his car. I waited a minute by my car to see what he was up to. As it turns out he just parked there for the purpose of eating lunch. Made my unload much harder though.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •