• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loading/Unloading gun gets tiring, am I the only one?

MikeTheGreek

I know, I'm posting a lot tonight, lack of sleep and too much redbull. I apologize.

But..on a serious note, for those of you who don't have a CPL. Doesn't it get tiring for you to unholster/unload your firearm and put it in the trunk, and then load/holster it everytime you drive to a new place? I went to Meijers today and when I took my gun out of my trunk and put it in my holster a lady saw me and looked terrified, I felt kinda bad.

Michigander

Umm, Meijers? They have a liquor license, and thus you shouldn't be carrying there to begin with if you don't have a CPL, since that is illegal. If you do have a CPL, why would your gun be in your trunk?

MikeTheGreek

Umm, Meijers? They have a liquor license, and thus you shouldn't be carrying there to begin with if you don't have a CPL, since that is illegal. If you do have a CPL, why would your gun be in your trunk?

Didn't actually make it inside Meijers because I got a phone call about 15 feet from the door and had to leave. Good thing too, since I totally forgot they had a liquor license.

FerretMI

MikeTheGreek

Mike, you can't be on the premises (i.e. even the parking lot) with a firearm without a CPL. For your own legal safety, please make sure you understand the laws more before OCing further.

Check out this chart that helps make it simpler: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7946&d=1329051279

The front side of this card also might help: http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/downloads/offlimits_front.pdf

I can't even drive through their parking lot? 0.o

I'm about to memorize all the information in your links, thank you.

xmanhockey7

To answer your question...

You get used to it. It's also best to try to park away from where most vehicles are. Also make sure you know the darn laws better please.

Bronson

When I renewed my CPL this last time I didn't get it in 60 days ahead of time so I anticipated a lag time where I would have to carry sans CPL. My plan was to carry a revolver so I wouldn't have to dink with chambering and unchambering a round every time I transfered the thing from the trunk to holster and back. Luckily it was only a two day lag.

Bronson

MikeTheGreek

When I renewed my CPL this last time I didn't get it in 60 days ahead of time so I anticipated a lag time where I would have to carry sans CPL. My plan was to carry a revolver so I wouldn't have to dink with chambering and unchambering a round every time I transfered the thing from the trunk to holster and back. Luckily it was only a two day lag.

Bronson

Taking my CPL course next friday, and then taking the cert to henry ruff first thing monday morning to get processed.

Make my life MUCH less confusing.

TheQ

Michigan Open Carry has obtained a letter from the AG's office saying it is ok to have it in the trunk. Of course, this letter and AGOs don't have binding force. There are those that disagree about your interpretation of parking lots.

I will neither agree, disagree, nor get into another extended discussion about it. I will only say it's a grey area.

Get2DahChopper

Taking my CPL course next friday, and then taking the cert to henry ruff first thing monday morning to get processed.

Make my life MUCH less confusing.

Am I the only one or is MTG confusing everyone? You say you live in Novi-Northville area most of which is Oakland County. There is a small area of northville that is in Wayne Co. I think? Then going to westland makes sense.

Michigander

I will only say it's a grey area.

Yes, hence I didn't even mention it.

The bottom line on that one is that unless you are getting searched, the cops aren't likely to know about it anyway, and you aren't likely to be searched if you aren't OCing. It's possible, but much less likely, so it seems a rather small point.

The main thing to remember is to not OC without a CPL while in a CEZ.

MikeTheGreek

Am I the only one or is MTG confusing everyone? You say you live in Novi-Northville area most of which is Oakland County. There is a small area of northville that is in Wayne Co. I think? Then going to westland makes sense.

Haha. All you had to do was ask! Where I live is technically Northville Township, which is Wayne county. I have to go to Henry Ruff to get my CPL. If I lived about 600 feet north, I'd be in Novi, if I lived a mile east, I'd be in the actual City of Northville, which is tiny. & Both would mean I'd be in a different county.

Confusing, tell me about it. I had to call 3 Sheriff offices and 4 city Police stations to figure out exactly where I had to go. Most of the time THEY didn't even know and gave me the number to somebody else who could help me. That was a very..very long 3 hours.

FreeInAZ

Dude :(

Haha. All you had to do was ask! Where I live is technically Northville Township, which is Wayne county. I have to go to Henry Ruff to get my CPL. If I lived about 600 feet north, I'd be in Novi, if I lived a mile east, I'd be in the actual City of Northville, which is tiny. & Both would mean I'd be in a different county.

Confusing, tell me about it. I had to call 3 Sheriff offices and 4 city Police stations to figure out exactly where I had to go. Most of the time THEY didn't even know and gave me the number to somebody else who could help me. That was a very..very long 3 hours.

Eeewww! Poor Ba$Tard stuck in Wayne Co. They are one of the worst for getting a CPL. Their turn-around times vary wildly it could be 6 weeks if you are one of the lucky few, or 6 months. :shocker: With these JOKERS it's anyone's guess. Those 600 ft are a nut buster dude. Oakland Co. is far superior in the CPL aspect; (and everything else).:p
God save you and all who have to deal with those A$$MONKEY'S.

Here's what you are dealing with (see link). The guy who starts this mess is the WaCo Sheriff member rep who sits on the gun board. You cannot see it from the camera's view but this guy snaps his fingers and demands the ID of the OCer closest to him. Then they get their panties all in a twist when they figure out they are on the wrong side of the law. Thanks again to all there who had my back. I am sure things would have went very differently if you had not been there, +1.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zICQCg&usg=AFQjCNHcTj8FqJhu02ZrKiPh6xTwrGMMVQ Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8Xc_cteO8&feature=channel&list=UL Part 2

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Eeewww! Poor Ba$Tard stuck in Wayne Co. They are one of the worst for getting a CPL. Their turn-around times vary wildly it could be 6 weeks if you are one of the lucky few, or 6 months. :shocker: With these JOKERS it's anyone's guess. Those 600 ft are a nut buster dude. Oakland Co. is far superior in the CPL aspect; (and everything else).:p
God save you and all who have to deal with those A$$MONKEY'S.

Here's what you are dealing with (see link). The guy who starts this mess is the WaCo Sheriff member rep who sits on the gun board. You cannot see it from the camera's view but this guy snaps his fingers and demands the ID of the OCer closest to him. Then they get their panties all in a twist when they figure out they are on the wrong side of the law. Thanks again to all there who had my back. I am sure things would have went very differently if you had not been there, +1.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zICQCg&usg=AFQjCNHcTj8FqJhu02ZrKiPh6xTwrGMMVQ Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8Xc_cteO8&feature=channel&list=UL Part 2

My boss got his CPL recently (Also in wayne county) and from the time he took everything down there, got printed, and paid, and the time he got his CPL in the mail, was 14 days.

FreeInAZ

My boss got his CPL recently (Also in wayne county) and from the time he took everything down there, got printed, and paid, and the time he got his CPL in the mail, was 14 days.

WOW! Unicorns do exist! Let's hope the same holds true for you...:eek: Keep us updated.

MikeTheGreek

WOW! Unicorns do exist! Let's hope the same holds true for you...:eek: Keep us updated.

Yessir! and this was after the city of Dearborn told him he had too many "police contacts" from his brothers getting arrested to give him a purchase permit.

I had him tell the officer that he was going to call his lawyer, and she responded with "you can pick up your permit in 20 minutes"

That's what I thought lady, nice try.

WalkingWolf

What a shame you guys have to go through this kind of hassle. And to think what you go through, others in our state want to do the same thing. This is why I watch the other state forums. Shame constitutional carry cannot be for all.

FreeInAZ

What a shame you guys have to go through this kind of hassle. And to think what you go through, others in our state want to do the same thing. This is why I watch the other state forums. Shame constitutional carry cannot be for all.

Your words show your wisdom Sir! +1