• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you are suppose to keep gun loaded?

WalkingWolf

Where did this happen? What state?

In Illinois you can only transport(fanny pack concealed carry) with a empty gun.

Last edited:

compmanio365

Washington it is perfectly legal to carry loaded. I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I am of the opinion that a gun that is unloaded is no better than going unarmed. If you really need it, the attacker is not going to wait while you load the gun.

WalkingWolf

Washington it is perfectly legal to carry loaded. I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I am of the opinion that a gun that is unloaded is no better than going unarmed. If you really need it, the attacker is not going to wait while you load the gun.

Welllll, he did in this particular case...

Redbaron007

Welllll, he did in this particular case...

He had something else to do while he was waiting on her! :lol:

hermannr

She was in a Longview, WA city park.

WA law allows for unlicensed, loaded, OC or CC while "participating in, going to, or coming from, any outdoor recreational activity...(RCW 9.41.060(8). A walk in the park is an outdoor recreational activity....BTW: This is a great exception to the general prohibition on loaded CC without a CPL. (RCW 9.41.050)

Loaded Unlicensed OC while on foot is always legal, however, unless you meet an exception in RCW 9.41.060 it cannot have a Loaded firearm in a vehicle without a CPL.

So, as she was participating in a legal outdoor recreational activity, even if she did not have a CPL, she was perfectly legal to carry loaded, CC or OC.

Two possible sources of her reason to carry unloaded. She does not have a CPL and does not know the exception in RCW 9.41.060(8). She lives very close to, and possibly works in, Portland, OR, where, if you do not have an OR CHL, and you have a loaded concealed weapon....you can go to jail. Portland, unlike most of OR, also has a city prohibition against unlicensed loaded OC. Being in Longview, most of here TV news is probably from Portland, and Portland likes to portray any carry (except by their thugs and cops) as evil.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Well, yes! Regardless of the anecdotal story about the very lucky woman, the question was "are you.......". The answer can only be Yes. Otherwise, as you all know, it is just a fancy paperweight. Not only loaded, but a round in the chamber.

eye95

If you cannot carry loaded, it may actually be more dangerous to carry than not to.

I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I carry my glock with a round in the chamber. Of course both firearms will be properly holstered.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is an on-going discussion about this very topic on another site and one of the things the OP stated was this;

"The fact of you having one vs not is enough in my opinion without having your gun be ready for action all the time."

My response was;

"Oh my.

I do hope the Lord is with you always, but I can tell you that someone who is of a mind to do you ill is not going to be stopped by a concealed gun that is not in full battery. You'd stand a better chance if you carried it openly without a round in the chamber but even then, you're courting disaster. It IS your decision and I wish you well. You're only going to know if it was the right one when the time comes you have to call upon your little friend."

The OP seems like a nice enough fellow, pleasant and civil in his postings. However, I just can't seem to get a handle on why someone would entertain the idea of carrying a defensive handgun that is not in full battery and ready to go, notwithstanding any external safeties the gun has and which they wish to employ. I have said before that my preference is to pull and pull: pull the gun and pull the trigger if and when needed. I don't want anything in the way such as having to rack the slide, external safeties to operate, or even locking mechanisms on a holster which require me to press a button to remove my gun. The less that is in the way of getting that gun into action, the better.

But that's just me and my preferences. Others have their own ideas and that's fine. Even carrying without a round in the chamber if that is their wont. I just don't see it for myself.

eye95

Maybe my reading skills are a bit off this morning, but I read his statement as saying it is not enough not to be ready to go. His use of a double-negative seems to say that the firearm must be ready to go for it to be enough. My statement being the contrapositive of his, it would have the same truth-value.

sudden valley gunner

Where did this happen? What state?

In Illinois you can only transport(fanny pack concealed carry) with a empty gun.

For those between 18-21 this seems to be a way to carry in our state too.

From the article it looks like she doesn't normally carry her weapon, so speculating a bit I theorize that she may be uncomfortable or not knowledgeable about weapon carry or perhaps don't have her CPL.

SouthernBoy

Maybe my reading skills are a bit off this morning, but I read his statement as saying it is not enough not to be ready to go. His use of a double-negative seems to say that the firearm must be ready to go for it to be enough. My statement being the contrapositive of his, it would have the same truth-value.

He was defending his preference to carry without a round in the chamber. His English, as with so many folks on websites, may not convey his actual meaning so context becomes paramount in order to correctly understand his position.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
wardtom084,

No one is "supposed" to do anything. Carry your gun however you want, just adjust your tactics accordingly.

Most people only carry, with no thought given to tactics. IMO, having a gun is only 50% of the solution, the other 50% is tactics. Naturally, 50+50=100...so if you only have half of something, you're lacking big-time.

It still remains, however, that the MAIN thing to do is CARRY because if you NEED a gun, it better be ON you!

What gun/caliber you carry, how you carry it (OC, CC), what kind of holster you use, state-of-readiness of the gun (Condition 1, 2 or 3), where you carry it (belt, ankle, etc.) -- and tactics (HOW you're going to USE it) -- that's all up to you.

One size does NOT fit all...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

wardtom084,

No one is "supposed" to do anything. Carry your gun however you want, just adjust your tactics accordingly.

Most people only carry, with no thought given to tactics. IMO, having a gun is only 50% of the solution, the other 50% is tactics. Naturally, 50+50=100...so if you only have half of something, you're lacking big-time.

It still remains, however, that the MAIN thing to do is CARRY because if you NEED a gun, it better be ON you!

What gun/caliber you carry, how you carry it (OC, CC), what kind of holster you use, state-of-readiness of the gun (Condition 1, 2 or 3), where you carry it (belt, ankle, etc.) -- and tactics (HOW you're going to USE it) -- that's all up to you.

One size does NOT fit all...

I couldn't agree more with this. But when someone asks for comments and opinions, then they open themselves up to whatever comes their way. Hopefully it will all be civil and above board, they should be prepared to hear opposing views. Otherwise, don't ask.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Yes, I know, but I would EXPECT a "lively" discussion of the OP's question (which comes up regularly, as everyone here knows)...I was just saying how I see it.

Also true: "If you can't deal with the answer, then don't ask the question" (or however that saying goes). But this particular question seems tame enough...not anything like asking how one feels about certain issues such as those relating to politics, religion, or "alternative lifestyles."

;-)

Regards...

P.S. The only thing I (personally) could say someone is "supposed" to do is CARRY -- be armed -- anything else (the details) would be merely "suggestions" rather than telling them how they need to do something. All modes of carry (Condition 1-2-3) have their pros & cons, so I can't say any of them is the "wrong" one for someone to choose. Same for OC and CC (each has its pros & cons) -- I do both, depending on the situation, or the STATE I happen to be in at the time!

Last edited: