• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Plans to Shoot Folks in a Theater; changes his Mind to Walmart

WCEarp

Everytime I read about something like this in small town America, I think about Skidmore, MO.

So many people driving through or moving to small towns think rual = safe. The only difference is that the smaller the town the more likely the locals can point out the bad apples. Are they safer? Generally, yes they are, but not all of them. In my college days I walked into a couple of rual bars that I wondered if I was going to leave in the same condition as I walked in as.

I hope more people *cough* Overland Park Councilman *cough* realize that crime can happen any time and anyplace.

Everytime I read about something like this in small town America, I think about Skidmore, MO.

So many people driving through or moving to small towns think rual = safe. The only difference is that the smaller the town the more likely the locals can point out the bad apples. Are they safer? Generally, yes they are, but not all of them. In my college days I walked into a couple of rual bars that I wondered if I was going to leave in the same condition as I walked in as.

I hope more people *cough* Overland Park Councilman *cough* realize that crime can happen any time and anyplace.

I am in the process of reading the book "In Broad Daylight" written about Skidmore and its infamous bully. It is a eye opener to say the least.

REALteach4u

Is anything in the media releases striking the rest of you as a bit odd? Off-meds is one thing, but to just blab a bunch of details seems a bit off. Some of the stories made me wonder if the suspect was reading the information from a script.

What irks me is that this individual was on behavioral modification meds that were NEVER reported to the Feds so the proper flag could be applied to NICS checks. Nice to know the system works. :banghead:

Redbaron007

Is anything in the media releases striking the rest of you as a bit odd? Off-meds is one thing, but to just blab a bunch of details seems a bit off. Some of the stories made me wonder if the suspect was reading the information from a script.

What irks me is that this individual was on behavioral modification meds that were NEVER reported to the Feds so the proper flag could be applied to NICS checks. Nice to know the system works. :banghead:

What meds are you implying should have been reported? Forgive me, but I was not aware of a requirement for 'behavioral meds' to be reported to the feds. Please elaborate.

Cite please the law that requires the reporting of so called behavioral modification meds to the feds. Also if the Dr. later determines that the drugs are no longer necessary are they required to report the same to the feds?

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

I might be the only one who thinks this way, but let me offer you a completely alternate view.

He was off his meds, the acorn did not fall too far from the tree and his mom is angry that he moved out and she lost the SSI check, the cops swoop up a man without the mental faculties to understand his rights or the implications of his statements, the cops put him in the box and hammer him about why he bought firearms, they kept asking him "what are you going to do, shoot up a theater like that guy in Colorado?, If you just tell us we will let you out of here and we can help you..." after too much time in the box he blurts out "NO I was going to shoot everyone at walmart!, let me out of here" and the cop says, "hold on a second, let me write that down and sign here"

Why do I suggest as much? Because my autistic son can be made to say ANYTHING you want him to say. He is so eager to please and has no concepts of truth or the implications of his words at all. If you asked him if he shot a nuke at cuba last night from his bedroom I would say it is about a 95% chance that if your voice inflections were kind, he would respond "yes" and that is just how it is sir. In order to get Richie to participate in more "normal activities in a more normal way" he was taught with a reward system, as long as he pleases the teacher working with him, he gets a reward be it clapping or an M&M etc. He will conduct himself and answer in whatever way he feels will get him the reward.

From the little that is in the news, I do not really trust the story because of the parties involved. I have no particular respect for the Bolivar PD myself as they have indicated they are fairly clueless as to how to enforce the law. I believe there were more than two of them who drew and pointed loaded weapons at an OC'er at a gas station a couple of years ago because they did not know the law.

If this person who is indeed INNOCENT until proven guilty actually does have a mental disorder and the cops were informed of as much by his mother, anyone want to take odds on 100% of what the cops got out of him in the box being tossed because they failed to provide him counsel when they had knowledge that he would not know how to even ask or understand the need?

You might see the mom as a hero and the cops as knights who saved the day, I keep seeing the potential for a lady in curlers and a pink polyester robe standing on her front porch of the trailer screaming that he can't leave more worried about the 1,800.00 SSI check moving out because he is 20 now and has his own rights, and the cops potentially manipulating a person not capable of mentally defending them self.

A lot of folks are really jumping for joy at this "success", I on the other hand am looking at it from a different perspective and I am not sure I buy all the hype. One big question is how the press got it and again promoted the government as saving the day from evil guns and the mentally deranged that own them, just not going to jump on the bandwagon at this point.

Redbaron007

Even more ironic; my daughter tells me last Saturday she used to work with this guy...and he had asked her out, along with every other female in the place. Fortunately she had some discernment and politely said NO. She wouldn't go into all the details, but was not totally surprised. :confused:

LMTD...interesting perspective...especially after speaking with my daughter.