Thread: Training under the influence

Training under the influence

I did a little shooting today and got to thinking about the old saying "train like you fight, fight like you train". Then I started wondering, I'm not a big drinker but sometimes I have a buzz going. What if I'm home and some crazy person decided to kick my door in after a few drinks? I'm not gonna lie and say I've never put a few rounds down range while drinking but that was just messing around and putting holes in old TVs or some other non typical target. I wonder though, would it be a good idea to go thru some drills while buzzed? Like I said, "train like you fight, fight like you train". Obviously I can't be DRUNK and I would have to take some extra safety measures but I just wanted to get y'alls opinion.

Ready, set, flame on

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    I did a little shooting today and got to thinking about the old saying "train like you fight, fight like you train". Then I started wondering, I'm not a big drinker but sometimes I have a buzz going. What if I'm home and some crazy person decided to kick my door in after a few drinks? I'm not gonna lie and say I've never put a few rounds down range while drinking but that was just messing around and putting holes in old TVs or some other non typical target. I wonder though, would it be a good idea to go thru some drills while buzzed? Like I said, "train like you fight, fight like you train". Obviously I can't be DRUNK and I would have to take some extra safety measures but I just wanted to get y'alls opinion.

Ready, set, flame on
    There are ways to do that with great safety. Airsoft or simunitions are not going to be your friends for this. If you want to know how I know this send me a PM and $25 in small, unmarked bills to go towards the cost of repair/replacement/medical care.

Laserlyte http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lts-target makes one style of device. (well, actually two) Here http://www.shootingillustrated.com/i...ining-devices/ is a write-up. You can make your own reflective targets out of aluminum foil - scrunch it up and then flatten it to get facets. I use 4"x4" squares and double-sided tape to put them all over the place. I practice shooting home invaders from my recliner because that is where I am going to be when they come busting in the door. (Well, either there, here in front of the keyboard, or on the throne. Yes, I practice there too.)

I'm not saying you should, just pointing out a way you could that is as safe as you can make it.

Buzzed or sober, you should not shoot the pets with a laser. Well, maybe the goldfish, but nothing else.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    OPEN CARRIER HATES GOLDFISH!

Disassociated Press 11/16/12

On the heels of the sensational video where students
    froze a goldfish in liquid nitrogen and then revived him, a
    local open carrier is combining sport fishing with shooting practice.
    He advocates torturing a goldfish with a laser device intended
    for use in improving shooting skill.

PETA spokeswoman, Annie Killcat lambasted the practice;
    and offered to store in their freezers any goldfish who met
    an untimely end from the activity. "Its cruel. Our
    research shows the animals suffer badly. Only fishermen
    deserve such an ugly end," she said.

The ASPGF said the punishment should be scaled to fit the
    crime, noting that the comment could hook other OCers into
    the practice.

Several carnival operators simply said, "Cool!"

Unnamed sources speculated that the OCer pushing the
    practice was simply trying to get practice lasers banned by
    gun control advocates, noting he probably owns a shooting
    range and knew the controversy would steer business from
    lasers back to traditional shooting ranges.

Barrel-makers breathed a sigh of relief when they realized
    this might mean an end to endless barrel repairs. "Actually, we
    hate the adage about shooting fish in a barrel. You have no idea
    how much time and energy it takes to repair a shot-up barrel"
    said one barrel cooper who didn't want to give his name.

Dr. I. Fryebrane, an eminent psychiatrist who specializes in cranial
    proctology commented, "This hatred of goldfish is highly significant!
    It proves the subject has confusions between investments, the animal
    world, and violence. When I interviewed the subject, he disavowed
    any hatred of fish, saying it was a casual, off-hand remark. And, as we all
    know, offhand is a position used in shooting. So, his problem is very
    deep-seated." Fryebrane also offered to begin research on abused
    goldfish if he can win government support, looking forward to the
    day when insurance would cover mental therapy for abused goldfish.

This article was not compiled from wire reports but from a vivid imagination.

Last edited by Citizen; 11-17-2012 at 03:30 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Ready, set, flame on
    Darwin would approve ... continue on ....

Re: Training under the influence

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Darwin would approve ... continue on ....
    As would Murphy

Water balloons are great for training with airsoft and wax loads. Always wear eye protection.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The airsoft idea is a good one. Like I said in the original post, I know safety would be a major concern. I was more interested in your thoughts on the theory of buzzed training. Thanx for the replies so far though.

The airsoft idea is a good one. Like I said in the original post, I know safety would be a major concern. I was more interested in your thoughts on the theory of buzzed training. Thanx for the replies so far though.
    I don't imbibe alcohol, the only way I would be buzzed is if chased by a bee, or a wasp. Buzzzzzzzzz (wish I had a bee smiley)
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Probably should go and buy some oxycodone and take it and then drill, just in case you get attacked after having surgery. You should also drill naked, wet and soapy in case you were in the shower.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Re: Training under the influence

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    Probably should go and buy some oxycodone and take it and then drill, just in case you get attacked after having surgery. You should also drill naked, wet and soapy in case you were in the shower.
    I knew there was something I was forgetting to incorporate into my training.