• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Think Legos are fun? Think agian -- guy with lego gun shot at by cops

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I sense sarcasm? What did you expect the cops to do?

The Seattle Times reports police got multiple calls about a man waving a gun at passing vehicles.

“The first deputy arrived minutes later and the man ignored her commands. When the man pulled the handgun from his waistband and raised it, the deputy fired about 25 yards away,” Deputy Charlie Akers told the paper. “The man dropped to the ground and other deputies moved in to handcuff him.”

Nothing here sounds awry.

PistolPackingMomma

So the officer fired from 25 yards away, and the developmentally disabled man was not harmed? Where did the bullet go? Did it kill someone's dog? Also, what sort of legos was he using? I mean, it's been quite some time since I've played with them, but don't they still come in blue, green, red and yellow colors? Did the police or passersby genuinely believe he was lethally armed?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
So the officer fired from 25 yards away, and the developmentally disabled man was not harmed? Where did the bullet go? Did it kill someone's dog? Also, what sort of legos was he using? I mean, it's been quite some time since I've played with them, but don't they still come in blue, green, red and yellow colors? Did the police or passersby genuinely believe he was lethally armed?

They also come in blacks and grays. I could make a very convincing gun out of legos that would fool most people from 25 yards away.

As far as where did the bullet go, rule 4 is for those cases where you miss your target - be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
metal-gear-solid-4-lego-gun-2.jpg

Legos can make pretty convincing guns.

'smooth move' - this sarcastic comment should be made for the dude waving a lego gun at cars, not the responding officers who arrived on the scene and saw this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Lookie lookie ... police apologists are here !

I thought cops knew everything ! They are all powerful, all knowing, right?

Clearly the mentally challenged kid did not have a high quality lego pseudo-gun going on ...

eye95

Clearly???

Do you have access to information the rest of us do not?

There were multiple calls of a man waving a gun at passing cars. So it must've been somewhat realistic to fool a lot more than just the cops.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Lookie lookie ... police apologists are here !
Of course they are here. Your thread is attempting to make the cops in this scenario look like they're in the wrong, when the only one that seems to be in the wrong here was the guy waving what appeared to be a gun at passing cars.

Did the police or passersby genuinely believe he was lethally armed?
If the police receive calls of a man waving a gun at passing cars, then they show up and see what appears to be a gun in the man's posession, why wouldn't they believe he was lethally armed?

PistolPackingMomma

As I said, it's been a LONG time since I've been around Legos. I was under the impression they still came in primary colors; when I am at the store, the gun counter is my toy aisle :D. Haven't paid attention to the kid's section of toys in over...15 years?

When the article reports a lego gun, I was picturing something much more basic and brightly colored. IF the "gun" in question looked like the lego gun posted above, then I could see reasonable belief of danger.

Last edited:

eye95

Also bear in mind the time that this happened. If it happened at night, the rods in your eyes are much more receptive to light than the cones. Therefore, in night vision, color is subdued, and we see mostly in black-and-white and shades of gray. A red gun, being dark in color, could appear to be black.

I don't know what time of day it was, but one must also consider that Lego's do come in black, white, gray, and a variety of other colors, dozens of them. One could make an orange Lego gun and mollify the antis a little bit.

sudden valley gunner

Of course they are here. Your thread is attempting to make the cops in this scenario look like they're in the wrong, when the only one that seems to be in the wrong here was the guy waving what appeared to be a gun at passing cars.

If the police receive calls of a man waving a gun at passing cars, then they show up and see what appears to be a gun in the man's posession, why wouldn't they believe he was lethally armed?

I agree conditionally and why I would only cautiously agree.

A few months ago after an OC meet police arrived and approached one of our OC'ers because they received a call that he was arguing with someone and waving his gun around. His gun never left the holster and the baristas verified this. And he was never arguing with anyone (totally made up on the callers part).

I am glad they didn't come in guns a blazing. I think though because of My actions and Johns the local PD are more cautious about these MWAG calls.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I agree conditionally and why I would only cautiously agree.

A few months ago after an OC meet police arrived and approached one of our OC'ers because they received a call that he was arguing with someone and waving his gun around. His gun never left the holster and the baristas verified this. And he was never arguing with anyone (totally made up on the callers part).

I am glad they didn't come in guns a blazing. I think though because of My actions and Johns the local PD are more cautious about these MWAG calls.

Well in your situation the police received "a call" about a man waving a gun around that hadn't been corroborated by any other witnesses. The news article reports that in this guys situation the police had already received "multiple calls about a man waving a gun at passing vehicles." I would hope that would make some bit of difference. Several witnesses > a single caller

On the note of it possibly being a colorful toy, let's keep in mind that this doesn't always mean it's not a gun either.

capture-20120523-185815-crop.png

images

I'm not insisting that officers treat everyone with a super soaker as a shotgun wielding criminal, I'm just merely pointing out that you can indeed be holding a "toy" that is very well "lethal."

Then you've got some people that like to take real guns and paint them orange to give the appearance of it being a toy. Not sure WHY someone would do this
bilde(1).jpg

sudden valley gunner

Well in your situation the police received "a call" about a man waving a gun around that hadn't been corroborated by any other witnesses. The news article reports that in this guys situation the police had already received "multiple calls about a man waving a gun at passing vehicles." I would hope that would make some bit of difference. Several witnesses > a single caller

On the note of it possibly being a colorful toy, let's keep in mind that this doesn't always mean it's not a gun either.

capture-20120523-185815-crop.png

images

I'm not insisting that officers treat everyone with a super soaker as a shotgun wielding criminal, I'm just merely pointing out that you can indeed be holding a "toy" that is very well "lethal."

Then you've got some people that like to take real guns and paint them orange to give the appearance of it being a toy. Not sure WHY someone would do this
bilde(1).jpg

Very true that is what leads more credence to the story for me and one reason why I normally someone who is very critical on government and their street warrior actions , agree with you.

I would also say that in certain areas of Seattle I wouldn't be surprised if they received multiple calls made up like the one at Starbucks.

Ahhhh Leonard......lol....:p