Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Ah! I need help! Gibraltar Gun & Knife show OC?

  1. #1
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    Exclamation Ah! I need help! Gibraltar Gun & Knife show OC?

    So..this girl I'm seeing wants to go to the gun & knife show at Gibraltar in Taylor on sunday. Best girl ever? I know.

    My question is, does anyone know if they allow OC? AND, am I allowed to OC there without a CPL? I know the place is gigantic so I'm not sure if it meets that "seating complicity" requirement.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    So..this girl I'm seeing wants to go to the gun & knife show at Gibraltar in Taylor on sunday. Best girl ever? I know.

    My question is, does anyone know if they allow OC? AND, am I allowed to OC there without a CPL? I know the place is gigantic so I'm not sure if it meets that "seating complicity" requirement.
    Why would you need a CPL to OC at a place that is an entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more?

    ETA: Unless it's on this list or a school you're good legally. Whether they allow carry I don't know.

    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
    Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 11-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    So..this girl I'm seeing wants to go to the gun & knife show at Gibraltar in Taylor on sunday. Best girl ever? I know.

    My question is, does anyone know if they allow OC? AND, am I allowed to OC there without a CPL? I know the place is gigantic so I'm not sure if it meets that "seating complicity" requirement.
    Mike - They will not let you in the door OC as of a year ago. I do not think that has changed. Also this show is and has been a rip-off for many years now (few vendors, bad selection, high prices) $5 per person to enter the show area + entry fee when you drive in. If you go on Sunday there will not be as many vendor's. Better off just waiting for the black Friday sales next week and avoid this place for guns & gun acc's. Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-17-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mike - They will not let you in the door OC as of a year ago. I do not think that has changed. Also this show is and has been a rip-off for many years now (few vendors, bad selection, high prices) $5 per person to enter the show area + entry fee when you drive in. If you go on Sunday there will not be as many vendor's. Better off just waiting for the black Friday sales next week and avoid this place for guns & gun acc's. Just my 2cents.
    I don't plan on buying anything. I just want to browse and see what they have.

    I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if they'll allow OC.

    The last I heard about Gibraltar was they made you unload and zip tie your gun when you came in.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  5. #5
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I don't plan on buying anything. I just want to browse and see what they have.

    I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if they'll allow OC.

    The last I heard about Gibraltar was they made you unload and zip tie your gun when you came in.
    Good idea, you have a voice recorder right? If so - please record this conversation as I am sure it will be amusing, and post it for us to enjoy. You do remember this is TaylorTuckey right?

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    That's one funny video.

    Anyway, the Gibralter trade center kicked us out for OCing there in december ish of 09, after MOC had paid to be there to hand out information.

    You should do as you please, I personally will never go back, other than perhaps to protest them, unless I got a written apology from the owner along with written permission to OC there for everyone who legally can. It's a gun and knife show for ****'s sake.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    WOW. So apparently they'll "strap" (zip tie) your gun..if you have a CPL.

    So...at the gun and knife show, you can conceal your unloaded gun, but shhhh, nobody is allowed to know you exercise your second amendment rights.

    God forbid you show the FIREARMS salesmen that you have a firearm.

    The stupidity of this place just blew my mind.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  8. #8
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    WOW. So apparently they'll "strap" (zip tie) your gun..if you have a CPL.

    So...at the gun and knife show, you can conceal your unloaded gun, but shhhh, nobody is allowed to know you exercise your second amendment rights.

    God forbid you show the FIREARMS salesmen that you have a firearm.

    The stupidity of this place just blew my mind.
    Its just another Fuddapalooza, for Fudds & loozas. Patronize your local gun shop that allows lawful carry.

    Until people grow a pair, they'll just keep violating your human rights.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  9. #9
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Its just another Fuddapalooza, for Fudds & loozas. Patronize your local gun shop that allows lawful carry.

    Until people grow a pair, they'll just keep violating your human rights.
    The gun range/shop I usually go to has a big sign on the door "no visible firearms, keep them concealed until on the range", so I'm going to find a new range.

    Are there any frequent gun shows/big gun shops around the Detroit/Livona area that anybody knows of that is OC friendly?
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  10. #10
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    WOW. So apparently they'll "strap" (zip tie) your gun..if you have a CPL.

    So...at the gun and knife show, you can conceal your unloaded gun, but shhhh, nobody is allowed to know you exercise your second amendment rights.

    God forbid you show the FIREARMS salesmen that you have a firearm.

    The stupidity of this place just blew my mind.
    I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.
    I have OCed at Dick's in Taylor with no problem. A good OCer used to work in the Gun Dept. at the Gander Mt. in Taylor, if he is still there, they will be OC friendly, if not they should be by company policy. However you could run into the under assistant to the manager of athletic supporters who is ill informed and be asked to leave....

    This is why at minimum you should carry a CONCEALED voice recorder, so you can play their bosses the recording, and to cover your a$$.

    Oh young weed chopper you have much to learn...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-17-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: video
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  11. #11
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.
    I have OCed at Dick's in Taylor with no problem. A good OCer used to work in the Gun Dept. at the Gander Mt. in Taylor, if he is still there, they will be OC friendly, if not they should be by company policy. However you could run into the under assistant to the manager of athletic supporters who is ill informed and be asked to leave....

    This is why at minimum you should carry a CONCEALED voice recorder, so you can play their bosses the recording, and to cover your a$$.

    Oh young weed chopper you have much to learn...
    Haaahaaa. Funny.

    Can you recommend any decent recorders that have good sound quality while concealed?
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  12. #12
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Haaahaaa. Funny.

    Can you recommend any decent recorders that have good sound quality while concealed?
    Yes even the $30 ones (RCA) brand at Wal-Mart (No OC without CPL [booze sold]) do a good job & can be worn on a string (lanyard around your neck). Placed in your solar plexus (v in chest) they are hard to see if you wear a t-shirt with a button up shirt covering the recorder. They also come with USB connection, software etc.. Set on the highest quality they will record for 17 hrs. Many here love the SONY recorders but some do not have the USB, so look for a that in whatever recorder you go with.

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-VR5320...order/15183948
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-17-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: link for weed chopper ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  13. #13
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Wal-Mart (No OC without CPL [booze sold]) ]
    I'll look into that one, thank you.

    See...some of you guys may think I'm dumb for OCing in the Meijers parking lot and stuff. But remember..I'm from Canada. In Canada...there are TWO places legally allowed to sell alcohol. The LCBO (Liquor control board of Ontario) and the Beer Store. So going to Walmart and finding beer was completely crazy and awesome for me when I moved here. Sometimes it takes a minute for my mind to kick in when figuring out where I can and can not OC.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  14. #14
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Question

    Mike all razzing aside. In the area you are in you need to carry covert recording device(s). Audio is the bare minimum. When I OC I always run audio and video recorders. Why? It is not just a ill informed cop you have to worry about. Any member of the public can LIE and say you did something you did not. How would you show you did not?

    When it comes to the word of a mohawk wearing, young OCer vs. a Soccer mom, the police will usually take her side.

    Bikenut is our recorder expert on this forum. I hope he expands on my post.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  15. #15
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mike all razzing aside. In the area you are in you need to carry covert recording device(s). Audio is the bare minimum. When I OC I always run audio and video recorders. Why? It is not just a ill informed cop you have to worry about. Any member of the public can LIE and say you did something you did not. How would you show you did not?

    When it comes to the word of a mohawk wearing, young OCer vs. a Soccer mom, the police will usually take her side.

    Bikenut is our recorder expert on this forum. I hope he expands on my post.
    I will be researching recording devices this week and going to buy one friday.

    I'll be sure to message Bikenut sometime too. Thank you
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  16. #16
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I will be researching recording devices this week and going to buy one friday.

    I'll be sure to message Bikenut sometime too. Thank you
    You are welcome Mike. Be safe and have fun OCing. I only wish we had more FREEDOM loving people your age! +1

    PS - I sound like an old fart, but if we ever meet you'll see I'm a pretty funny ba$tard.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  17. #17
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    You are welcome Mike. Be safe and have fun OCing. I only wish we had more FREEDOM loving people your age! +1

    PS - I sound like an old fart, but if we ever meet you'll see I'm a pretty funny ba$tard.
    Everyone I know my age is afraid of guns, or they think they're "cool" and want to carry to look like a badass.

    I'm a sarcastic ******* who takes nothing in life seriously, I get along with everyone!

    Do you live in MI? Your name says AZ but I've only seen you post on the MI forums.

    I'd say we'd probably meet at an OC seminar sometime because I plan on going to lots of them.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  18. #18
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Everyone I know my age is afraid of guns, or they think they're "cool" and want to carry to look like a badass.

    I'm a sarcastic ******* who takes nothing in life seriously, I get along with everyone!

    Do you live in MI? Your name says AZ but I've only seen you post on the MI forums.

    I'd say we'd probably meet at an OC seminar sometime because I plan on going to lots of them.
    I am a hardcore OC MI veteran. Lucky for me I now live in the land of sun and guns But I still own property in MI and have family there so like Arnold says ....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  19. #19
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mike all razzing aside. In the area you are in you need to carry covert recording device(s). Audio is the bare minimum. When I OC I always run audio and video recorders. Why? It is not just a ill informed cop you have to worry about. Any member of the public can LIE and say you did something you did not. How would you show you did not?

    When it comes to the word of a mohawk wearing, young OCer vs. a Soccer mom, the police will usually take her side.

    Bikenut is our recorder expert on this forum. I hope he expands on my post.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend! but I'm not an expert on anything. Unless managing to stay alive long enough to qualify as a bona fide old fart makes me an expert .. umm... old fart?

    Anyway.... I sent Mike a PM in reference to recorders.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  20. #20
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend! but I'm not an expert on anything. Unless managing to stay alive long enough to qualify as a bona fide old fart makes me an expert .. umm... old fart?

    Anyway.... I sent Mike a PM in reference to recorders.
    You're a good man Bikenut. I don't care what Venator or WARCHILD say.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    You're a good man Bikenut. I don't care what Venator or WARCHILD say.
    I don't care what they say either... never did really...






    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  22. #22
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend! but I'm not an expert on anything. Unless managing to stay alive long enough to qualify as a bona fide old fart makes me an expert .. umm... old fart?

    Anyway.... I sent Mike a PM in reference to recorders.
    Just got your message, thank you!
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •