• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ah! I need help! Gibraltar Gun & Knife show OC?

MikeTheGreek

So..this girl I'm seeing wants to go to the gun & knife show at Gibraltar in Taylor on sunday. Best girl ever? I know.

My question is, does anyone know if they allow OC? AND, am I allowed to OC there without a CPL? I know the place is gigantic so I'm not sure if it meets that "seating complicity" requirement.

xmanhockey7

So..this girl I'm seeing wants to go to the gun & knife show at Gibraltar in Taylor on sunday. Best girl ever? I know.

My question is, does anyone know if they allow OC? AND, am I allowed to OC there without a CPL? I know the place is gigantic so I'm not sure if it meets that "seating complicity" requirement.

Why would you need a CPL to OC at a place that is an entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more?

ETA: Unless it's on this list or a school you're good legally. Whether they allow carry I don't know.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Mike - They will not let you in the door OC as of a year ago. I do not think that has changed. Also this show is and has been a rip-off for many years now (few vendors, bad selection, high prices) $5 per person to enter the show area + entry fee when you drive in. If you go on Sunday there will not be as many vendor's. Better off just waiting for the black Friday sales next week and avoid this place for guns & gun acc's. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Mike - They will not let you in the door OC as of a year ago. I do not think that has changed. Also this show is and has been a rip-off for many years now (few vendors, bad selection, high prices) $5 per person to enter the show area + entry fee when you drive in. If you go on Sunday there will not be as many vendor's. Better off just waiting for the black Friday sales next week and avoid this place for guns & gun acc's. Just my 2cents.

I don't plan on buying anything. I just want to browse and see what they have.

I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if they'll allow OC.

The last I heard about Gibraltar was they made you unload and zip tie your gun when you came in.

FreeInAZ

I don't plan on buying anything. I just want to browse and see what they have.

I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and see if they'll allow OC.

The last I heard about Gibraltar was they made you unload and zip tie your gun when you came in.

Good idea, you have a voice recorder right? If so - please record this conversation as I am sure it will be amusing, and post it for us to enjoy. :p You do remember this is TaylorTuckey right?

[video=youtube;VDCCcxlKzDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VDCCcxlKzDU[/video]

Michigander

That's one funny video. :lol:

Anyway, the Gibralter trade center kicked us out for OCing there in december ish of 09, after MOC had paid to be there to hand out information.

You should do as you please, I personally will never go back, other than perhaps to protest them, unless I got a written apology from the owner along with written permission to OC there for everyone who legally can. It's a gun and knife show for ****'s sake.

MikeTheGreek

WOW. So apparently they'll "strap" (zip tie) your gun..if you have a CPL.

So...at the gun and knife show, you can conceal your unloaded gun, but shhhh, nobody is allowed to know you exercise your second amendment rights.

God forbid you show the FIREARMS salesmen that you have a firearm.

The stupidity of this place just blew my mind. :banghead:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

So...at the gun and knife show, you can conceal your unloaded gun, but shhhh, nobody is allowed to know you exercise your second amendment rights.

Its just another Fuddapalooza, for Fudds & loozas. Patronize your local gun shop that allows lawful carry.

Until people grow a pair, they'll just keep violating your human rights.

MikeTheGreek

Its just another Fuddapalooza, for Fudds & loozas. Patronize your local gun shop that allows lawful carry.

Until people grow a pair, they'll just keep violating your human rights.

The gun range/shop I usually go to has a big sign on the door "no visible firearms, keep them concealed until on the range", so I'm going to find a new range.

Are there any frequent gun shows/big gun shops around the Detroit/Livona area that anybody knows of that is OC friendly?

FreeInAZ

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. :p
I have OCed at Dick's in Taylor with no problem. A good OCer used to work in the Gun Dept. at the Gander Mt. in Taylor, if he is still there, they will be OC friendly, if not they should be by company policy. However you could run into the under assistant to the manager of athletic supporters who is ill informed and be asked to leave....:eek:

This is why at minimum you should carry a CONCEALED voice recorder, so you can play their bosses the recording, and to cover your a$$.

Oh young weed chopper you have much to learn...
[video=youtube;gASY7Lj5GPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASY7Lj5GPQ[/video]

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. :p
I have OCed at Dick's in Taylor with no problem. A good OCer used to work in the Gun Dept. at the Gander Mt. in Taylor, if he is still there, they will be OC friendly, if not they should be by company policy. However you could run into the under assistant to the manager of athletic supporters who is ill informed and be asked to leave....:eek:

This is why at minimum you should carry a CONCEALED voice recorder, so you can play their bosses the recording, and to cover your a$$.

Oh young weed chopper you have much to learn...
[video=youtube;gASY7Lj5GPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASY7Lj5GPQ[/video]

Haaahaaa. Funny.

Can you recommend any decent recorders that have good sound quality while concealed?

FreeInAZ

Haaahaaa. Funny.

Can you recommend any decent recorders that have good sound quality while concealed?

Yes even the $30 ones (RCA) brand at Wal-Mart (No OC without CPL [booze sold]) do a good job & can be worn on a string (lanyard around your neck). Placed in your solar plexus (v in chest) they are hard to see if you wear a t-shirt with a button up shirt covering the recorder. They also come with USB connection, software etc.. Set on the highest quality they will record for 17 hrs. Many here love the SONY recorders but some do not have the USB, so look for a that in whatever recorder you go with.

www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-VR5320...Voice-Recorder/15183948

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Wal-Mart (No OC without CPL [booze sold]) ]

I'll look into that one, thank you.

See...some of you guys may think I'm dumb for OCing in the Meijers parking lot and stuff. But remember..I'm from Canada. In Canada...there are TWO places legally allowed to sell alcohol. The LCBO (Liquor control board of Ontario) and the Beer Store. So going to Walmart and finding beer was completely crazy and awesome for me when I moved here. Sometimes it takes a minute for my mind to kick in when figuring out where I can and can not OC.

FreeInAZ

Mike all razzing aside. In the area you are in you need to carry covert recording device(s). Audio is the bare minimum. When I OC I always run audio and video recorders. Why? It is not just a ill informed cop you have to worry about. Any member of the public can LIE and say you did something you did not. How would you show you did not? :uhoh:

When it comes to the word of a mohawk wearing, young OCer vs. a Soccer mom, the police will usually take her side.

Bikenut is our recorder expert on this forum. I hope he expands on my post.

MikeTheGreek

Mike all razzing aside. In the area you are in you need to carry covert recording device(s). Audio is the bare minimum. When I OC I always run audio and video recorders. Why? It is not just a ill informed cop you have to worry about. Any member of the public can LIE and say you did something you did not. How would you show you did not? :uhoh:

When it comes to the word of a mohawk wearing, young OCer vs. a Soccer mom, the police will usually take her side.

I will be researching recording devices this week and going to buy one friday.

I'll be sure to message Bikenut sometime too. Thank you

FreeInAZ

I will be researching recording devices this week and going to buy one friday.

I'll be sure to message Bikenut sometime too. Thank you

You are welcome Mike. Be safe and have fun OCing. I only wish we had more FREEDOM loving people your age! +1

PS - I sound like an old fart, but if we ever meet you'll see I'm a pretty funny ba$tard.:p

MikeTheGreek

You are welcome Mike. Be safe and have fun OCing. I only wish we had more FREEDOM loving people your age! +1

PS - I sound like an old fart, but if we ever meet you'll see I'm a pretty funny ba$tard.:p

Everyone I know my age is afraid of guns, or they think they're "cool" and want to carry to look like a badass.

I'm a sarcastic ******* who takes nothing in life seriously, I get along with everyone!

Do you live in MI? Your name says AZ but I've only seen you post on the MI forums.

I'd say we'd probably meet at an OC seminar sometime because I plan on going to lots of them.

FreeInAZ

Everyone I know my age is afraid of guns, or they think they're "cool" and want to carry to look like a badass.

I'm a sarcastic ******* who takes nothing in life seriously, I get along with everyone!

Do you live in MI? Your name says AZ but I've only seen you post on the MI forums.

I'd say we'd probably meet at an OC seminar sometime because I plan on going to lots of them.

I am a hardcore OC MI veteran. Lucky for me I now live in the land of sun and guns :p But I still own property in MI and have family there so like Arnold says ....
[video=youtube;M1ypn0y32Ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ypn0y32Ac[/video]

B

Bikenut

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend! but I'm not an expert on anything. Unless managing to stay alive long enough to qualify as a bona fide old fart makes me an expert .. umm... old fart? :lol:

Anyway.... I sent Mike a PM in reference to recorders.

FreeInAZ

Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend! but I'm not an expert on anything. Unless managing to stay alive long enough to qualify as a bona fide old fart makes me an expert .. umm... old fart? :lol:

Anyway.... I sent Mike a PM in reference to recorders.

You're a good man Bikenut. I don't care what Venator or WARCHILD say. ;)