• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Car?

MikeTheGreek

Aha. You all probably thought I was going to ask if I could OC in my car, no, I know it's illegal.

My question IS, are there any efforts being made right now to legalize OC in a car without a CPL? If so, I'd love to help.

As someone who gets in an out of cars all day every day to make a living, it's kind of important to me.

FreeInAZ

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, your freedom is ALWAYS a session away!

Michigan Open Carry is looking to work such a bill next session.

You poor Ba$tards in MI.:uhoh: Good on you Q & MOC.

[video=youtube;Yop62wQH498]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498[/video]

FreeInAZ

Aha. You all probably thought I was going to ask if I could OC in my car, no, I know it's illegal.

My question IS, are there any efforts being made right now to legalize OC in a car without a CPL? If so, I'd love to help.

As someone who gets in an out of cars all day every day to make a living, it's kind of important to me.

Mike to help you out a little: If you have a friend/family/Boss that has a CPL they can take possession of your weapon(s) and you can ride with them without having to do the whole uncase/load then unload/case routine.:cool:

It's not much help but something is better than nothing.

MikeTheGreek

Mike to help you out a little: If you have a friend/family/Boss that has a CPL they can take possession of your weapon(s) and you can ride with them without having to do the whole uncase/load then unload/case routine.:cool:

It's not much help but something is better than nothing.

so if I'm in the car with anyone who has a cpl I can keep my gun loaded? now...would my gun be able to be in my holster, or would he have to put it in his center console?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
so if I'm in the car with anyone who has a cpl I can keep my gun loaded? now...would my gun be able to be in my holster, or would he have to put it in his center console?

If in your friend's vehicle or yours will make a difference where it is kept, I would think. Your friend would have to have constructive possession in either event. Leaving it in your holster leaves you in possession and in violation. His tucking it Mexican Carry or under his leg should suffice.

FreeInAZ

The CPL holder has to have "control" of the weapon. The farther from you the better. Best way for me was to have my pal unholster it for me while I was standing outside of the car (do this as carefully & inconspicuously as possible) then put it in his belt or door panel document holder thingy to his/her left leg. This way no reasonable cop could say it was even remotely in my possession.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

If in your friend's vehicle or yours will make a difference where it is kept, I would think. Your friend would have to have constructive possession in either event. Leaving it in your holster leaves you in possession and in violation. His tucking it Mexican Carry or under his leg should suffice.

THIS spot on grapeshot. +1

FreeInAZ

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

MikeTheGreek

Two months!? Wow. I've read stories on here about it taking a long time, but why? I turned in my application on a Monday and picked up my CPL twelve days later on a Friday.

Haha what? No. The new session starts in 2 months, then they can try and change the law to allow you to OC in your car without a CPL.

TheQ

Oou less than two months! (If I read it correctly)

I have a MOC folder in my bookmarks just for stuff I need to learn. Thank you!

Just because session starts in two months, doesn't mean the bill will be introduced right away. Just because a bill gets introduced doesn't mean it will pass. In fact, most bills that get introduced go no where.

MikeTheGreek

Just because session starts in two months, doesn't mean the bill will be introduced right away. Just because a bill gets introduced doesn't mean it will pass. In fact, most bills that get introduced go no where.

No, I know that. I'm just glad it will at least try and get started around that time.

OC4me

Glad to hear that a legislative solution is underway.

Should a judicial avenue be required, the best plaintiff, in my humble opinion, would be a resident of Vermont, Illinois and/or a U.S. Citizen residing in Canada, and who spends time on occasion in Michigan (i.e. a 2nd home). Add to that, a Plaintiff who has a clear need for self-defense while traveling (disabled, elderly, single mother, etc.). To further back the State really into a corner, the Plaintiff should also be dependent on public transportation i.e. bus, tram or subway (thus the Plaintiff would have no practical means to comply with the challenged law in the first place - due to lack of an inaccessible storage place such as a trunk).

Without being able to establish legal residency in Michigan (not legally possible/practical to have dual residency), the sympathetic Citizen Plaintiff faces a total and complete ban on possession of a functional firearm within vehicles. A complete ban on possession of a functional firearm for self-defense purposes failed to satisfy any level of scrutiny noted the Heller Court.

Securing a win there would all but assure that loaded, readily accessible, vehicle carry would then also be legally available to all law-abiding Michigan residents, regardless of CPL status.

I applaud the legislative effort as it is probably more resource efficient at this time. The litigation avenue may not be as ripe as it could be since the Supreme Court hasn't yet ruled on the right to 'bear' outside the home yet. That could change as early as next year. Regardless, as it stands now, the ban on loaded, readily accessible, vehicle carry is surely in violation of the Michigan Right to Bear Arms constitutional provision as well as the Federal Constitution's 14th Amendment equal protection clause that is supposed to ensure that all Citizens, no matter what state they are in, are afforded the same rights that any other State citizen enjoys.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

"Bah Humbug!"

Wow Q,

Way to Scrooge up the new guys spirit...Great leaders are those that inspire and motivate...Just saying.
Maybe Mike has a thing or two to teach us?

[video=youtube;34w8xqFz3eU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w8xqFz3eU[/video]

MikeTheGreek

Glad to hear that a legislative solution is underway.

Should a judicial avenue be required, the best plaintiff, in my humble opinion, would be a resident of Vermont, Illinois and/or a U.S. Citizen residing in Canada, and who spends time on occasion in Michigan (i.e. a 2nd home). Add to that, a Plaintiff who has a clear need for self-defense while traveling (disabled, elderly, single mother, etc.) and a strong case may be made.

Without being able to establish legal residency (not possible/practical to have dual residency) in Michigan, then they face a total and complete ban on possession of a functional firearm within their vehicle.

A complete ban on possession of a functional firearm for self-defense purposes failed to satisfy any level of scrutiny as noted the Heller Court.

Securing a win there would all but assure that loaded, readily accessible, vehicle carry would then also be legally available to all law-abiding Michigan residents, regardless of CPL status.

I applaud the legislative effort as it is probably more resource efficient at this time. The litigation avenue may not be as ripe as it could be since the Supreme Court hasn't yet ruled on the right to 'bear' outside the home yet. That could change as early as next year. Regardless, as it stands now, the ban on loaded, readily accessible, vehicle carry is surely in violation of the Michigan Right to Bear Arms constitutional provision as well as the Federal Constitution's 14th Amendment equal protection clause that is supposed to ensure that all Citizens, no matter what state they are in, are afforded the same rights that any other State citizen enjoys.

Haha...I was a US Citizen living in Canada. Moved back to Michigan, and they messed up my paperwork, Couldn't establish residency. I couldn't buy/carry a gun for two years until I got it sorted (Bought my first gun 2 weeks ago)

MikeTheGreek

Wow Q,

Way to Scrooge up the new guys spirit...Great leaders are those that inspire and motivate...Just saying.
Maybe Mike has a thing or two to teach us?

[video=youtube;34w8xqFz3eU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w8xqFz3eU[/video]

I never worry or stress about anything, or let something get my hope/spirit down :p I have faith (Apparently unlike Mr. Q ;) ) About this bill being passed. By that time, I will have my CPL, but I'll still support and fight for it, for all future OC'ers who should have the legal right to carry and defend themselves while in their own vehicles.

Sometimes the younger generation will surprise you :rolleyes: