Thread: Carry on Sounder Train and Link Light Rail

Carry on Sounder Train and Link Light Rail

I could have sworn that this issue had been dealt with and put to bed, however I was riding both the Sounder and Link light rail this past week and noticed the rules signs and been replaced, and yet again they now indicate that firearms are prohibited on these 2 modes on Transit. Haven't seen any changes on buses. Anybody know if something is going on with this or if Sound Transit is just being retarded again?

SoundTransit is funded through tax dollars. They must have "forgotten" about state preemption, tell them to ingest excrement.

http://www.soundtransit.org/About-So...g-district.xml
    Last edited by bmg50cal; 11-18-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    SoundTransit is funded through tax dollars. They must have "forgotten" about state preemption, tell them to ingest excrement.

http://www.soundtransit.org/About-So...g-district.xml
    So what about public colleges then? The ones that are funded by the state.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    So what about public colleges then? The ones that are funded by the state.
    That's off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    I could have sworn that this issue had been dealt with and put to bed, however I was riding both the Sounder and Link light rail this past week and noticed the rules signs and been replaced, and yet again they now indicate that firearms are prohibited on these 2 modes on Transit. Haven't seen any changes on buses. Anybody know if something is going on with this or if Sound Transit is just being retarded again?
    Have a pic or the exact wording of the new signs? Sound transit likes to prohibit illegal weapons. Y'know, cuz if someone's already committing a felony a lil ol sign expressing a mere agency policy will stop them right in their tracks. Nothing like making something illegaler to put a stop to crime, no siree.

Anyways, this one has come up a few times before. Someone over there likes to use language that flirts with violating state preemption without actually going over. "Discouraging" firearm carry by the uninformed without actually prohibiting it.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

I went to the site and the "rules" are as follows:
    http://www.soundtransit.org/search.x...ufs=0&rdepth=0

Rules for riding - SoundTransit
    No littering. No alcohol consumption. No hazardous, explosive or corrosive materials. No unlawful weapons or firearms. No soliciting. No loitering. Do not leave bags unattended. ... ...
    http://www.soundtransit.org/...-star...for-riding.xml
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

An old internal memo....

Live Free or Die!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    police are the legal and safety experts
    Really?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I'll grab a pic next time I see it. I was specifically looking for the "unauthorized" part. I want to say it was phrased as " No firearms or other weapons permitted" . That was what got me. Unauthorized I can understand.

I'll grab a pic next time I see it. I was specifically looking for the "unauthorized" part. I want to say it was phrased as " No firearms or other weapons permitted" . That was what got me. Unauthorized I can understand.
    The signs do say that. I have a picture at home, but am out of town at the moment.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

"Unlawful weapons"....know what is "lawful" and what is "unlawful" and procede accordingly...(in other words, know the law)

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    police are the legal and safety experts

Curse you. Now I have milk all over my keyboard AND up my nose. Do you have ANY idea how much that stings?

Carry on Sounder Train and Link Light Rail

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Curse you. Now I have milk all over my keyboard AND up my nose. Do you have ANY idea how much that stings?
    Milk is nothing. Try it with Coke or something with alcohol. THAT would sting.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

The signs on the light rail do not specify illegal weapons, it just says no weapons. I have never seen signs inside the Sounder saying no weapons. I recently e-mailed Sound transit and the response was that they "discourage" open carry, but are fine with legal conceal carry.

Scott

Of course they discourage open carry. Believe it or not sometime back in the late 19th century the police convinced the populace that they could protect them and they didn't need to carry firearms openly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Nothing like making something illegaler to put a stop to crime, no siree.
    Yeah. Like someone intent on committing a capital crime is going to worry about the revocation of his bus pass...

Thought this was dealt with years ago. Someone even lost their job with Sound Transit over it. Looks like I'll have to make a point of making some more trips on the link in upcoming weeks and see what happens.

For all those who believe I have a problem reading.....yeah..... It says exactly what I said it did. Here is the pic. "No weapons or Firearms are allowed"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121119_111641.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	9579  
    Last edited by Rune; 11-20-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Sound Transit is a municipal corporation, preemption applies.

The 'rules game' is the same **** that Seattle tried, and lost...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

For all those who believe I have a problem reading.....yeah..... It says exactly what I said it did. Here is the pic. "No weapons or Firearms are allowed"
    If it was really a law I guarantee you the RCW code would be cited

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&W View Post
    If it was really a law I guarantee you the RCW code would be cited
    It's supposed to be a policy not a law and that policy, as shown before, violates the law.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Interesting...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Gu...for-riding.xml
    Rules for riding

Whether you're on a bus or a train, follow these basic rules to help make everyone's ride on Sound Transit services enjoyable and safe
    Basic rules for bus and train passengers

Animals: Service animals are allowed on Sound Transit buses and trains. Pets may ride if they are carried in small containers.
    Pay the correct fare on the bus; on platforms and trains, have fare ready for fare inspectors.
    Hold personal items, store in overhead rack or under the seat.
    Respect the privacy of other passengers.
    Use audio/video equipment only with headphones.
    Carry food and drinks in closed containers.
    Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
    Do not lie down or place feet on seats.
    Do not interfere with operator/conductor while operating the vehicle.
    Do not harass other riders.
    Do not engage in loud or unruly behavior.
    No eating.
    No smoking.
    No littering.
    No alcohol consumption.
    No hazardous, explosive or corrosive materials.
    No unlawful weapons or firearms.
    No soliciting.
    No loitering.
    Do not leave bags unattended.

RCW 81.112.220, 81.112.210, 81.112.230, 9.91.025, 9A.36.031, TCM 8.52.020
    I think that whomever printed off the sign was an anti-gun idiot.

Besides the never enforce the pet rule, ever.
    The Audio equipment thing RARELY gets followed/enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Interesting...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Gu...for-riding.xml

I think that whomever printed off the sign was an anti-gun idiot.

Besides the never enforce the pet rule, ever.
    The Audio equipment thing RARELY gets followed/enforced.
    They can't enforce the "pet rule" thanks to the ADA. Person just has to say it's a "service animal" (*cough**********cough* and they're untouchable.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    SAF has recently started a preemption enforcement initiative given their win in Chan v. City of Seattle (of which I was one of the plaintiffs in that case). I will notify SAF of this as soon as they get back to work on Monday after the Holiday.

-Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    SAF has recently started a preemption enforcement initiative given their win in Chan v. City of Seattle (of which I was one of the plaintiffs in that case). I will notify SAF of this as soon as they get back to work on Monday after the Holiday.

-Gray
    I't about time that officials who ignore "preemption" face some penalties, either personally or to the entities they represent. Might cure the "Greg Nickels" syndrome. Hopefully the enforcement initiative will call for mandatory fines and/or punishment for the arrogant offenders.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"