• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on Sounder Train and Link Light Rail

Rune

I could have sworn that this issue had been dealt with and put to bed, however I was riding both the Sounder and Link light rail this past week and noticed the rules signs and been replaced, and yet again they now indicate that firearms are prohibited on these 2 modes on Transit. Haven't seen any changes on buses. Anybody know if something is going on with this or if Sound Transit is just being retarded again?

Metalhead47

I could have sworn that this issue had been dealt with and put to bed, however I was riding both the Sounder and Link light rail this past week and noticed the rules signs and been replaced, and yet again they now indicate that firearms are prohibited on these 2 modes on Transit. Haven't seen any changes on buses. Anybody know if something is going on with this or if Sound Transit is just being retarded again?

Have a pic or the exact wording of the new signs? Sound transit likes to prohibit illegal weapons. Y'know, cuz if someone's already committing a felony a lil ol sign expressing a mere agency policy will stop them right in their tracks.:rolleyes: Nothing like making something illegaler to put a stop to crime, no siree.

Anyways, this one has come up a few times before. Someone over there likes to use language that flirts with violating state preemption without actually going over. "Discouraging" firearm carry by the uninformed without actually prohibiting it. :banghead:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
An old internal memo....

Scan_Pic0007.jpg

Rune

I'll grab a pic next time I see it. I was specifically looking for the "unauthorized" part. I want to say it was phrased as " No firearms or other weapons permitted" . That was what got me. Unauthorized I can understand.

Tawnos

I'll grab a pic next time I see it. I was specifically looking for the "unauthorized" part. I want to say it was phrased as " No firearms or other weapons permitted" . That was what got me. Unauthorized I can understand.

The signs do say that. I have a picture at home, but am out of town at the moment.

hermannr

"Unlawful weapons"....know what is "lawful" and what is "unlawful" and procede accordingly...(in other words, know the law)

skeith5

The signs on the light rail do not specify illegal weapons, it just says no weapons. I have never seen signs inside the Sounder saying no weapons. I recently e-mailed Sound transit and the response was that they "discourage" open carry, but are fine with legal conceal carry.

Scott

40S&W

Of course they discourage open carry. Believe it or not sometime back in the late 19th century the police convinced the populace that they could protect them and they didn't need to carry firearms openly.

compmanio365

Thought this was dealt with years ago. Someone even lost their job with Sound Transit over it. Looks like I'll have to make a point of making some more trips on the link in upcoming weeks and see what happens.

Rune

For all those who believe I have a problem reading.....yeah..... It says exactly what I said it did. Here is the pic. "No weapons or Firearms are allowed"

Attachments

• 20121119_111641.jpg
    20121119_111641.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Sound Transit is a municipal corporation, preemption applies.

The 'rules game' is the same **** that Seattle tried, and lost...