• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handguns through Canada.

Anonymouse

Hi everyone. In June I am driving from Virginia to Alaska through Canada... (Edit)

From my research I know I can take my rifles as long as I fill out a form, declare them and pay a fee.

I see that handguns are a restricted item but I can apply for an Authorization to Transfer for them. I've heard that I need this ATT for each province I go through.

Is that true and does anyone know the chances of getting an ATT approved? I mean do they usually approve them or would it just be better to ship my handgun?

I'm not a felon or anyone that would be barred from Canada nor do I have any convictions that would give Canadian authorities fits.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Years ago it was much easier to transport a handgun to Alaska via Canada; those days are unfortunately gone. The only Americans that I personally know who have been able to get an ATT are those who actually possess the Restricted Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). I think that you have the option of sending the pistol by Common Carrier to an Alaskan FFL and picking up your own pistol there. Unless you were moving there, the process for either the license or shipping it would be extremely time consuming and expensive.

BTW, the fact you actually own a pistol will give them fits. Most Border Service personnel may now be armed, but God forbid they actually take their firearm home at the end of their shift. A good friend of mine has a PAL for his pistol and an ATT to go to the range and when he declares the pistol upon entering Canada, the border guards look so sad that they can't confiscate it.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

Thanks.

That's what I was figuring. I may just send my rifles as well. Seems like a huge PITA.

hermannr

You can take you handguns through if you get a PAL and they are not "prohibited" handguns. I did have a link to a site that had a "practical guide for taking firearms through Canada" Unfortunatly, it appears that link is now dead (they did just change their law as concerns long guns)

Anyway, it can be done...takes about 6 months to get your PAL...you do it through the RCMP. you might try this guy: http://canadapal.com/

MikeTheGreek

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/gunstocanada.htm

^ Tells you everything you need to know about transporting your firearms.

I would probably suggest sending them to a FFL nearest to the place you'll be staying in Alaska. Every province of Canada has very strict gun laws, and some are different than the others, so the money it would cost and the hassle you'd have to go through keeping with these guidelines by transporting them yourself is probably not even worth it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You can take you handguns through if you get a PAL and they are not "prohibited" handguns. I did have a link to a site that had a "practical guide for taking firearms through Canada" Unfortunatly, it appears that link is now dead (they did just change their law as concerns long guns)

Anyway, it can be done...takes about 6 months to get your PAL...you do it through the RCMP. you might try this guy: http://canadapal.com/

You actually take two courses in order to get a PAL for handguns. First, you take the general The Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC). Then, after that is completed, you need to take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). Then you need to get the ATT (Authorization To Transport) and that, in my opinion, is where you are at mercy of the Chief Firearms Officer of the Province(s) you'd be traveling through. Is it doable in six months? Theoretically yes. Likely? Not very, but I'm sure it has been done. I know a few people who have done both courses... actually one person "challenged" both courses. All PAL holders I have personally discussed this with say that these tests were extremely difficult.

Here is a FORMER website that explained it well but some of the information is outdated. I post this only for information purposes to give the OP an idea what the process entails...much information may still be valid, but except for registration of long guns, I am not really sure.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110207042231/http://panda.com/canadaguns/#pal

Last edited:

Anonymouse

So not worth it. It'll be more time and cost effective to just FFL it up.

I'll never live or hunt in Canada, just passing through.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...you have the option of sending the pistol by Common Carrier to an Alaskan FFL....

You don't need to send it to an FFL to ship it to yourself. Unfortunately, even the carriers don't know this, so it can be difficult to actually do it.

saiga12boy

It's funny that Alaska is the one of the most permissive states regarding guns but if you want to drive there you'll have to go through a ton of gun control crap.
I wish we could go back to the time when people in Canada could carry firearms around.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It's funny that Alaska is the one of the most permissive states regarding guns but if you want to drive there you'll have to go through a ton of gun control crap.
I wish we could go back to the time when people in Canada could carry firearms around.

Actually, if I remember correctly, their rules regarding long guns were pretty accommodating. Pistols... not so much.

Anonymouse

Actually, if I remember correctly, their rules regarding long guns were pretty accommodating. Pistols... not so much.

According the the mounties (lol) I just have to fill out a form, declare my long guns and pay a fee.