• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wounded Warrior Project Is Anti-Gun

eye95

Before I spend a lot of time listening to that overlong audio, can you summarize it and/or direct me to some written support for your contention that Wounded Warrior is anti-gun?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

My understanding is that Wounded Warrior is a US Army government program, most gov programs are going to be anti gun.

eye95

Still not convinced.

Please cite specific things that WW has done that makes them anti-gun. The video says that WW will have nothing to do with gun organizations, yet the speaker had to stop the donations from his gun-related organization. They didn't cut ties with him.

So, again, can you provide written (and verifiable) documentation of something that WW has done that is anti-gun?

WalkingWolf

Still not convinced.

Please cite specific things that WW has done that makes them anti-gun. The video says that WW will have nothing to do with gun organizations, yet the speaker had to stop the donations from his gun-related organization. They didn't cut ties with him.

So, again, can you provide written (and verifiable) documentation of something that WW has done that is anti-gun?

I didn't say WW was anti gun, I said most government programs are anti gun, I didn't even say all. WW from what I understand is a government program run by the US Army, and we all know the US military is anti gun for anybody not on duty in a capacity that requires a firearm. So it would not surprise me that they are/were/is but without digging I don't know. I guess a simple phone call asking if participants are allowed to carry firearms at events might clear it up.

DanM

Before I spend a lot of time listening to that overlong audio, can you summarize it and/or direct me to some written support for your contention that Wounded Warrior is anti-gun?

It's not my contention. This is being covered on many well-known gun blogs, and it's out of the mouth of WWP itself in the emails publicized and radio interview. WWP is Zumbo'ing themselves. (For love of guns and gun blogs, you are at least aware of the Jim Zumbo story, right?)

I highly recommend you listen to the audio of Tom Gresham's radio segment. He interviews the CEO of WWP and the founder of Militaryparents.com. You will hear the contrast in stance on participating with gun organizations and gun manufacturers in their fundraising. WWP says to those entities (as opposed to almost all other non-weapon related entities), "We don't want you using our logo for fundraising for us . . . but we'll take your money so just send us a check!"

It's quite shocking what has been exposed about WWP, but good that it's coming out.

Google is your friend. If you need further help, I can give you Google's URL and some search terms to use to get up to speed on the WWP story.

Last edited:

eye95

Nope. You made the contention. Provide links to written support for your contention, or I will relegate it to the ash heap of Internet bluster. Moving on.

mobiushky

Been posted on many vblogs, and by others. Thunder Ranch posted it on their facebook page. Many sources, you choose not to take the effort to check them out. So relegate it to the ash heap, like that really matters to anyone at all.

DanM

Provide links to written support for your contention, or I will relegate it to the ash heap of Internet bluster.

I've given you enough to fish for yourself, but I'm not going to feed you. You have time to type your posts, but don't have time to type in Google or click on the link already provided with the WWP interview which is Exhibit A demonstrating they are anti-gun. In fact, you have to go no further than clicking on the link to the WWP interview provided. Nothing beats hearing it from the horse's mouth.

Fine by me if your position is it's "bluster" and you don't even do so much as lift a finger to click on the link already provided. There are excuses for being ignorant about an organization's anti-gun bigotry, but laziness to the point of not clicking on a link provided in which you hear it isn't one of them.

Last edited:

carracer

Why does the word "written" give folks so much trouble???

Sorry!

Free Republic
Browse · Search News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange (With Gun Talk Radio)
Facebook, Gun Talk ^ | 13NOV12 | Tom Gresham
Posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:33:57 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Marie

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:

====================

Hello, Leslie:

Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================

Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.

I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,
Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --

This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

TOPICS: Constitution/Conservatism; Culture/Society; Extended News
KEYWORDS: banglist; findanewcharity; wwp
So here's where this makes NO SENSE:
"Leslie" claims that WWP does not "WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies."

Alright then why did they have a fundraiser at the Playboy Mansion on May 16, 2009? Would that not be sexual in nature?

http://www.grandengagementsblog.com/2009/03/wwp-wounded-warriors-project-at-playboy.html

Alcohol? Then why, on June 23rd of THIS year, did WWP kick off the 2nd Annual Knoxville Brewfest with a 5K run?

http://beardenbeermarket.com/home/2012/6/6/bbm-kbf-the-wounded-warrior-project-join-forces.html

Co-branding with gunmakers? How about this Citadel M1911 that is actually BRANDED with the WWP logo as a promotion to raise funds for WWP?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oMej9GZtI

Are these the new policies of WWP, or is "Leslie" off her rocker?

WWP needs to clarify their positions on these matters. And they need to do it now. Already hundreds are pulling their donations and it's only going to get worse as the bad press marches on.

I'm giving them a week to get it together before I transfer my monthly donation to another organization.

I find it insulting to our vets to paint them as suicidal drunks.

1 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:34:05 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Marie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]
To: Marie
Here’s some ‘clarification’ from WWP.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wounded-warrior-redux-wwp-now-clarifying-our-approach

Apparently, this IS their new policy and their ‘clarification’ is clear as mud.

2 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:37:00 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Marie ("The last time Democrats gloated this hard after a health care victory, they lost 60 House seats.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]
So I guess we won’t be able to buy our WWP beer stein for much longer.

http://www.cafepress.com/+wounded_warroir_project_stein,686697890

Y’know. Because of all those drunk, suicidal veterans.

3 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:38:28 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Marie ("The last time Democrats gloated this hard after a health care victory, they lost 60 House seats.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]
LESLIE A. COLEMAN

SO the WWP “Thinks” they “Need” a “Public Relations BITCH huh. SWIVE THEM. NOT ANOTHER DIME!

4 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:44:13 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by US Navy Vet (Go Packers! Go Rockies! Go Boston Bruins! See, I'm "Diverse"!)
Organizations should have the right to go where they want to go. I have to read more into this entire story. I will not say anything bad against the wounded warriors because I know many of them in case this effects them emotionally. People (not you) should be careful how they turn invitations down so stuff like this does not happen. I hope they work this out. The vets do not need any of this.

5 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:50:05 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Christie at the beach (I like Newt. As another FR member says..Obamas are living in gangster paradise.)
How weird!!! I was almost going to donate to their recent drive, to fund a house for a vet. While I think it is a great idea, a little voice told me to hold my donation.

This was just the day before this story broke.

Interesting.

6 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:54:19 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Truth2012
I find it insulting to our vets to paint them as suicidal drunks.
You and me both!

While there are people who have problems, that isn't limited by any means to veterans, but the idea that vets somehow are at a disadvantage when it comes to handling either alcohol or firearms is not doing anyone any favors.

Sadly, I will be diverting funds which would have gone to WWP to other veterans organizations without such an apparent cranio-rectal insertion, at least until the issue is straightened out. Our guys (and gals) don't need to be branded this way.

(What a stupidly missed opportunity to raise funds for the organization!)

7 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:55:51 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Smokin' Joe (How often God must weep at humans' folly. Stand fast. God knows what He is doing)
I am to the point that I think most all *charities* skim too much of the top and many are even a scam.

I am to the point I would rather give directly to the person and cut out the middle man.

I don’t know why there can’t be a list of veterans in need and people can ‘adopt’ the veteran. Churches could help organize this.

Something like that anyhow...

Just like with the RNC, they aren’t representing us so we give directly to the candidates.

8 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 10:57:00 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Irenic (The pencil sharpener and Elmer's glue is put away-- we've lost the red wheel barrow)
To: US Navy Vet
pass this along to your friends. I emailed them my dismay. Our local hunting/conservation advocacy group donates a lot of time and money and volunteer hours to assist all the disabled in outdoor activities, particularly hunting, and particularly wounded vets.

9 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:04:07 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by cherry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]
When my son was injured, it was the Semper Fi Fund and Charity Works, along with Fisher House.

I wouldn’t hesitate to give to them.

Also in Michigan, there is a pure charity called “Fallen and Wounded Soldiers Fund” run entirely by volunteers, so all the money passes to our heros.

10 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:05:05 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by kevslisababy
I was involved in launching the WWP Outdoors Progrqm, but haven’t been so in a while. None of the folks I worked with are even there anymore, and their policies are totally different.

11 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:08:16 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by girlangler (Fish Fear Me)
To: Truth2012
Please think about what you are doing! Why deny help to these wounded warriors just because you do not like the policy of the WWP?
Perhaps you could choose to send your donations to the Charlie Norwood VA Hospital (#1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA. 30904) which has a large number of Wounded Warriors as patients as patients. You could designate the money for their Volunteer Services which provides many things to the veterans and current wounded warriors. This could be personal care items or even recreational opportunities. Or support the Fisher House, where military families and veterans families stay free of charge while spouses are receiving care at the VA Medical Centers. They can use donations for many needs and you can designate how you want it used. I have personally supported the purchase of “grab and go” breakfast items so the family members can get to the patients sooner. Family love is good medicine and the Fisher Houses make it possible for family to be with a patient. Food, linens, personal care products and anything you can think a household needs is all by donation.
So please consider these and other options before cutting off support. Thank you for your consideration.

12 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:09:21 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by ruesrose (Love is Action!.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

13 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:10:36 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by PMAS (All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]
They do a butt load of television advertising, and as a retired ad guy, I can tell you it’s not cheap. I wonder how much of their proceeds actually go to the ww themselves.

14 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:20:49 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by patriotsblood
Check out Wounded Warriors In Action...pretty good organization. The husband went on a couple of the hunting trips and had a good time.

http://www.woundedwarriorsinaction.org

15 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:24:15 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by rangerwife (Proud wife of a Purple Heart Recipient)
To: ruesrose
Thanks for the note. I have to be very careful about my charity giving. I simply can’t afford to support any progressive movement or progressive charity any further.

Best wishes.

16 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:29:38 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Truth2012
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]
To: patriotsblood
I’ll just say this...I work with another non-profit whose goal is to help provide education and resources to other wounded families (www.familyofavet.com) and when we have called on WWP to help a family with serious issues, we’ve gotten turned down more than once. This is one recent example, we at family of a vet received word of a family that had been homeless for about a year and turns out WWP had known about this family for months and did nothing to help when asked, even though their website says they help with financial resources. The founder of family of a vet (know her well, she’s a personal friend and I work with her) was able to go to a church and raise enough money to get the family temporary housing for a few months.

17 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:33:32 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by rangerwife (Proud wife of a Purple Heart Recipient)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]
There are other veterans groups that don’t have their heads up their asses.

As a veteran, I would ask that you please support those other groups rather than this one...

18 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:35:15 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Dead Corpse (I will not comply.)
WWP rankings

not particularly good or bad, i suppose. 130 full time staff, senior execs earning $160K approx. 100 or more current job openings.
19 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:49:31 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by frankenMonkey
I contribute monthly and will continue to do so.

While I think their stance on firearms is ridiculous, part of me understands their desire to control “the brand” and avoid offending potential donors. It’s a tricky business, but I think they’ve chosen the wrong side of it.

I understand, but I don’t agree.

20 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:50:03 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by SJSAMPLE
To: Dead Corpse
The disgust is towards wwp & charities gone bad — not veterans.

I suspect wwp will change their policy in a few months when they see what damage they have done to their brand...but it will be too late.

Check out their 501c3 filings...pretty interesting reading.

21 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:51:39 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Geoffrey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]
To: patriotsblood
They’re sort of like the NRA.
I give to them on a monthly CC charge, but they send me calendars, dog tags, etc. to get me to give more.

I’m sure that at some point, it becomes counterproductive (marginal costs > marginal revenue).

But, they do great work and I’m gonna continue to support them.

22 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:52:33 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by SJSAMPLE
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]
To: frankenMonkey
Just found this comment at the Ranking Website:

"$4,000,000 plus for , from what I can find out, 14 board members?? c'mon, thats an average of $285,714 per year salary"

I can't vouch for its accuracy, however.
23 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:52:53 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by frankenMonkey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]
To: US Navy Vet; Marie
Will sadly pass this on to my Vets list and others. GD it! They have been compromised! Another one bites the dust...

24 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 11:56:49 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by JDoutrider
I just cancelled my monthly donation. I was giving them $25/month. Pretty pathetic that they would adopt crazy positions like this but yet they’ll cozy up to Playboy.

Idiots.

25 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:20:40 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by spacejunkie2001
To: Dead Corpse
You urge me to support any other group but this one? That is exactly what I am saying. We call our wounded “wounded warriors.” That is not exactly including the WWP, is it? Money or goods I donate to the Fisher House or the VA goes to help our wounded (warriors) or sick veterans. It does not go through the Wounded Warrior Project and has nothing to do with them.
If you ae are concerned about your money going to worthwhile charities, check the Fisher House website and you will be impressed, I promise you.

Miss Judy

26 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:34:28 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by ruesrose (Love is Action!.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]
To: Truth2012
If you visit the website of Fisher House you will be gratgified to see how they spend the donations. You can designate which Fisher House you wish to receive your donation or you can put it in the general fund and it will be divided between them.

27 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:38:10 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by ruesrose (Love is Action!.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]
My husband stayed at the Fisher House in Austin when I had my spinal surgery. It was good for him to have a close place to grab some sleep for the 10 days I was admitted.

We lived an hour and a half from the hospital and it would’ve been hell for him to do that commute with the stress he was under.

We also stayed in the FH while my son was sick when he was a baby. Two weeks of hell. The FH made it bearable. We were broke and they let us stay for free.

28 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:38:47 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Marie ("The last time Democrats gloated this hard after a health care victory, they lost 60 House seats.")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]
To: frankenMonkey
The CEO gets over $300K.

29 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:40:28 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Tijeras_Slim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]
I am glad to know you had a positive experience. Our local Fisher House in Augusta GA is on the grounds of the Charlie Norwood VAMC. There are 19 bedrooms and they are almost always full with up to 3 in a room.
It is as beautiful as a 5 star hotel and no one is ever charged for staying there. Some stay for months.
A mother and her two children recently stayed while her spouse was going though blind rehab. That is just one of the state of the art departments in the Charlie Norwood VAMC
I am quite proud of that hospital and of course the Fisher House.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on FR. I hope you and your family are all healthy now.
Miss Judy

30 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:48:51 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by ruesrose (Love is Action!.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]
Please think about what you are doing!
Perhaps that sentiment should be directed at WWP instead. They will get nothing from me unless they publically repudiate this policy. Money is scarce and I am already forced to surrender far to much of it to organizations who work against my interests (read The Government). I'll not do so voluntarily.

31 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 12:58:06 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by jboot (This isn't your father's America. Stay safe and keep your powder dry.)
Ok. I will look into that, yes. I agree not to punish the wounded, and they do deserve support.

32 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 13:02:22 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Truth2012
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]
Thanks for mentioning The Fisher House. Great resource deserving of donations. In addition to monetary donations, I also try and send them lap/regular quilts and goody boxes w/phone cards, etc for those visiting.

33 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 13:13:38 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Jane Long ("Miss me yet?" - Mitt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 27 | View Replies]
I got quite upset after reading this post. I went and told my wife about these scammers. She has been in nonprofit fund raising for over twenty years, so she pulled the WWP form 990. Last year WWP took in 123 million in contributions.
Their expenses were 108 million, with only 90 mil to programs and 14 million to fund raising. Their CEO banked a salary of 320K.
Her opinion of this group was almost as bad as the Red Cross. She wouldn't let me piss in their contribution plate.
34 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 14:36:08 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Big Mack (I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat VEGETABLES!)
I participated in the NYC Veterans’ Day Parade last Sunday, with another organization, and was stunned to see what seemed like a thousand participants from the WWP. They had tents set up in an area between 28th and 29th Sts, just off 5th Ave. There they were handing out blue drizzler jackets to all their “volunteers” along with handing out thousands of lic plate frames and other “souveniers” They also had food and entertainment there. I did see some wounded warriors, but I was still amazed at the number of volunteers they had.....and wondered what they did, other than get a jacket? Those jackets had to cost a pretty penny....or dollar, with inflation! Just how much of their income actually goes to the our service members?

35 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 18:00:52 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Betteboop (WWP giveaways!)
Special Operations Warrior Fund
36 posted on Thu Nov 15 2012 20:01:03 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time) by Tainan (Cogito, ergo conservatus sum -- "The Taliban is inside the building")
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson

eye95

I've given you enough to fish for yourself...

*sigh* Internet bluster paired with look it up for yourself. Folks, if you make a contention, rhetorical honesty demands that you support it, not ask others to listen to long audios, watch the unsupported opinions of others in videos, or google it for themselves. You have no credibility with intelligent, rhetorically honest folks when you do these kinds of things.

I won't bother with this Internet bluster further. Moving on. WW still has my respect for what they do until someone demonstrates clearly that I should believe otherwise.

eye95

Thank you carracer for your response. Except for all the posted comments after the actual emails, your quote was quite useful. (May I suggest editing out those posts to provide clarity of what was actually said between the two parties?)

Three things concern me: (1) "WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies." The lumping of firearms companies with alcohol companies implies a negativity to firearms manufacturing that is inappropriate. This, in and of itself, is not enough to turn me off to WW and does not make them anti-gun. (2) WW refused to go on an audio program belonging to a firearms organization. I do not fault them for this. Being on any such advocacy show, regardless of what is being advocated, could cloud the message that they are trying to send. (3) Now, THIS is where I have a problem: "Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues." This statement holds the firearms companies responsible for the choice of a person to end his life and his choice of tool for doing so.

Because of (3) above, I find WW lacking. They need to answer for that statement. Until they do, it is not so much that I consider them to be anti-gun as to be questionable in their thought processes and not worthy of support.

I doubt they will answer in this thread. I hope they find it and do. But, from my POV, only because of (3), they have some 'splainin' to do.

Again, carracer, thanks for the rhetorical honesty that has been so scarce in this thread. The respect meter is pegging.

carracer

Thank you carracer for your response. Except for all the posted comments after the actual emails, your quote was quite useful. (May I suggest editing out those posts to provide clarity of what was actually said between the two parties?)

Three things concern me: (1) "WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies." The lumping of firearms companies with alcohol companies implies a negativity to firearms manufacturing that is inappropriate. This, in and of itself, is not enough to turn me off to WW and does not make them anti-gun. (2) WW refused to go on an audio program belonging to a firearms organization. I do not fault them for this. Being on any such advocacy show, regardless of what is being advocated, could cloud the message that they are trying to send. (3) Now, THIS is where I have a problem: "Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues." This statement holds the firearms companies responsible for the choice of a person to end his life and his choice of tool for doing so.

Because of (3) above, I find WW lacking. They need to answer for that statement. Until they do, it is not so much that I consider them to be anti-gun as to be questionable in their thought processes and not worthy of support.

I doubt they will answer in this thread. I hope they find it and do. But, from my POV, only because of (3), they have some 'splainin' to do.

Again, carracer, thanks for the rhetorical honesty that has been so scarce in this thread. The respect meter is pegging.
!!! :)

Hmmm, yeah, I didn't look far enough down to see how large that post with the email exchange was! Huge!

I listened to the CEO of WWP on the Tom Gresham show last evening with his explanation. He stated that it was too expensive and the rate of return was not enough to justify partnering with firearms related groups. He mentioned some tax code required to be met to accomplish the task and that the cost of lawyers, accountants and support personnel would be more than the return on the investment. Tom questioned that and stated that he does the same tax code stuff all the time and offered to cover the cost to the WWP if they would allow use of the logo and participate with him. They refused.

My understanding of his statements was that you could have a fund raiser for the WWP as a firearms related group, but, not mention, use logos or anything related to WWP. Just send them the money.

DanM

I listened to the CEO of WWP on the Tom Gresham show last evening with his explanation. He stated that it was too expensive and the rate of return was not enough to justify partnering with firearms related groups. He mentioned some tax code required to be met to accomplish the task and that the cost of lawyers, accountants and support personnel would be more than the return on the investment. Tom questioned that and stated that he does the same tax code stuff all the time and offered to cover the cost to the WWP if they would allow use of the logo and participate with him. They refused.

My understanding of his statements was that you could have a fund raiser for the WWP as a firearms related group, but, not mention, use logos or anything related to WWP. Just send them the money.

And WWP's above bullsh*t was also refuted by the follow-on guest, an officer of the group Marineparents.com.

Last edited: