• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decorah IA open carry experiences? Advice?

ihcr100psd

I am from just into Minnesota, but I go down to Decorah Iowa somewhat frequently. I also have a valid Minnesota permit to carry a pistol.

Is there anyone who has had any encounters with the local LE while in Decorah?

The reason I ask is that a few weeks ago I went down to the Decorah PD and asked a few questions. It seemed they thought that open carry in town with a permit to carry was illegal. Everything I can find does not limit open carry in town with a permit.

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Iowa is not a traditional open carry state, but no permit is required to open carry except when in vehicles or when inside city limits. Open carry in cities is technically legal with an Iowa permit to carry weapons, however Iowa is a may-issue state, and some sheriffs have indicated that they will revoke your permit for open carrying.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=228

Iowa honors Minnesota permit.
http://www.permittocarry.org/stateswithreciprocity.html

Chapter 724 of the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules, 661, Chapter 91 contain information on Iowa’s weapon laws and the issuance of weapon permits in Iowa.

Does this mean you may OC on out of state permit? I am 99.9% sure, but have not confirmed 100% so far. Need to connect the dots between CC and OC. Let's wait and see if someone provides more direct information with a link.

Last edited:

ihcr100psd

Under 724.7 - 1 1. Any person who is not disqualified under section 724.8, who satisfies the training
requirements of section 724.9, and who files an application in accordance with section
724.10 shall be issued a nonprofessional permit to carry weapons.

Iowa is a shall issue state for a year or two now.

amaixner

/shrug
Bring a video camera. If the police can't even be bothered to understand the laws they claim to be sworn to enforce, sue them after they violate you, and get a nice payout. I'm sick of "professional" law "enforcement" "officers" not knowing the law (not knowing how to do their own job).

Last edited:

Tucker6900

I am from just into Minnesota, but I go down to Decorah Iowa somewhat frequently. I also have a valid Minnesota permit to carry a pistol.

Is there anyone who has had any encounters with the local LE while in Decorah?

The reason I ask is that a few weeks ago I went down to the Decorah PD and asked a few questions. It seemed they thought that open carry in town with a permit to carry was illegal. Everything I can find does not limit open carry in town with a permit.

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Open carry, where allowed by law, is legal in Iowa. A study of Iowa Code 724 will show you the information needed. I believe the only place listed in the law is the "real property of a school".

Decorah PD needs an education on the matter. I open carry everywhere I go and have yet had a negative experience worth talking about.

Now, since 1-1-11, there has been a number of counties trying to skirt Iowa Preemption by passing resolutions that ban firearms on country property. In my, and other, personal opinions, those resolutions hold no weight of law and are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. I am told the most that will come of violating a resolution is a criminal trespass charge, and we are yet to see any of those come to light.

Open carry away! Its legal, and despite what the media says, I have not seen people running for cover, blood in the streets, etc, etc because of it.

P.S. If you happen upon Iowacarry.org, do not mention open carry there. They have a tendency to get upset at its mere mention.

PPS: I believe these cities will have to start violating to learn the lesson.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

/shrug
Bring a video camera. If the police can't even be bothered to understand the laws they claim to be sworn to enforce, sue them after they violate you, and get a nice payout. I'm sick of "professional" law "enforcement" "officers" not knowing the law (not knowing how to do their own job).

Oh come on, police are the best ones to ask about the law, right?
(sarcasm)

ihcr100psd

Open carry, where allowed by law, is legal in Iowa. A study of Iowa Code 724 will show you the information needed. I believe the only place listed in the law is the "real property of a school".

Decorah PD needs an education on the matter. I open carry everywhere I go and have yet had a negative experience worth talking about.

Now, since 1-1-11, there has been a number of counties trying to skirt Iowa Preemption by passing resolutions that ban firearms on country property. In my, and other, personal opinions, those resolutions hold no weight of law and are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. I am told the most that will come of violating a resolution is a criminal trespass charge, and we are yet to see any of those come to light.

Open carry away! Its legal, and despite what the media says, I have not seen people running for cover, blood in the streets, etc, etc because of it.

P.S. If you happen upon Iowacarry.org, do not mention open carry there. They have a tendency to get upset at its mere mention.

PPS: I believe these cities will have to start violating to learn the lesson.

I agree with everything you have said in your main body and with your PPS.... However... I don't particularly want to be "violated" by LE, I don't think I have the money to support a legal battle, and I have not yet had ANY experience with any LE while carrying.

I honestly want to do this(educating/confirming proper LE knowledge) with as little upset, to LE, as possible and with as little chance of doing something illegal as possible.

amaixner

Most of them are loosening up slowly. They were really worried about people doing it around the time of the new law being passed and the possibility of the legislature passing something new right away. After a fair amount of time without issues, the sentiment seems to be shifting to "it's ok I guess" though many don't have any interest in doing it.

(Life member here, and I OC often)

Tucker6900

Most of them are loosening up slowly. They were really worried about people doing it around the time of the new law being passed and the possibility of the legislature passing something new right away. After a fair amount of time without issues, the sentiment seems to be shifting to "it's ok I guess" though many don't have any interest in doing it.

(Life member here, and I OC often)

Thats good to know. It was quite upsetting at the time, as I was a county coordinator and got practically banished for my stance. But its good to hear they are coming around, even if slowly.

Tucker6900

I agree with everything you have said in your main body and with your PPS.... However... I don't particularly want to be "violated" by LE, I don't think I have the money to support a legal battle, and I have not yet had ANY experience with any LE while carrying.

I honestly want to do this(educating/confirming proper LE knowledge) with as little upset, to LE, as possible and with as little chance of doing something illegal as possible.

There are many avenues to take when approaching this situation, and it all depends on how deep into it you want to go. For instance, I open carry everywhere I go, and am prepared to defend myself, throught the courts, for most situations that can arise. Some of my friends think I am a bit extreme when it comes to my position, but I see it as more of a nonstop education for the public and law enforcement alike. There are some who will obey an unlawful order just to save themselves some hassle, and file complaints at a later time. I believe there are pros and cons to that approach, one of the cons being that someone allowed an officer to violate their rights without standing their ground. And the obvious pro is you dont go to jail, get assaulted by police.

I think that any activism, no matter how small, is positive. A kindly worded letter, clearly stating State and case law, to the Decorah Chief could clear up the whole issue.

Through your activism you will find numerous officers who believe they know the law, when in reality they only know part of, if any, of the law. And they will go by what they have been told by their superiors. So, if you ask me, the top is where to start.

Open carry is not for everyone. I know quite a few people who are afraid to do it. But thats ok. To each their own.

Good luck, and if you need anything else, let us know. We are always willing to help! :)

ihcr100psd

Well it appears that I have been given the go ahead by my family to get in touch with a suitable lawyer. So I guess once that is accomplished, I will proceed with open carrying down there.

I will keep you all up to date on the progress.

Thank you.

Paul T

P.S. I will keep an eye out for "locally owned" property that might be posted.

Tucker6900

Well it appears that I have been given the go ahead by my family to get in touch with a suitable lawyer. So I guess once that is accomplished, I will proceed with open carrying down there.

I will keep you all up to date on the progress.

Thank you.

Paul T

P.S. I will keep an eye out for "locally owned" property that might be posted.

Im betting you will not need that lawyer, but you never know.

Just remember these tips:

1) Do not touch your firearm! Dont constantly adjust it, figit with it, grab it,etc.

2) Try to stay relaxed. If you think you look suspicious, you probably do. Dont act like you are carrying a gun, just be yourself.

You should be fine. Good luck!

ihcr100psd

Im betting you will not need that lawyer, but you never know.

Just remember these tips:

1) Do not touch your firearm! Dont constantly adjust it, figit with it, grab it,etc.

2) Try to stay relaxed. If you think you look suspicious, you probably do. Dont act like you are carrying a gun, just be yourself.

You should be fine. Good luck!

I certainly hope that you are right about not needing the lawyer.

I have been doing my best to follow those tips to the best of my abilities. I feel pretty good about my equipment not moving very much and me staying clear of my firearm and mags.

Thanks again to Tucker and the rest of you for your opinions, ideas, and thoughts on this subject.

bmg50cal

Iowa is not a traditional open carry state, but no permit is required to open carry except when in vehicles or when inside city limits. Open carry in cities is technically legal with an Iowa permit to carry weapons, however Iowa is a may-issue state, and some sheriffs have indicated that they will revoke your permit for open carrying.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=228

Iowa honors Minnesota permit.
http://www.permittocarry.org/stateswithreciprocity.html

Chapter 724 of the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules, 661, Chapter 91 contain information on Iowa’s weapon laws and the issuance of weapon permits in Iowa.

Does this mean you may OC on out of state permit? I am 99.9% sure, but have not confirmed 100% so far. Need to connect the dots between CC and OC. Let's wait and see if someone provides more direct information with a link.

Even at the time of the quoted post Iowa was a "shall issue" state and still is; the law changed in 2011 BTW. Open carry is legal with a permit and Iowa honors permits from all states.

Sheriffs CAN NOT revoke a permit for OC.

Just saying as a former Iowa resident and frequent visitor.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even at the time of the quoted post Iowa was a "shall issue" state and still is; the law changed in 2011 BTW. Open carry is legal with a permit and Iowa honors permits from all states.

Sheriffs CAN NOT revoke a permit for OC.

Just saying as a former Iowa resident and frequent visitor.

It's been nearly two years (3 yr now) since Iowa became a "shall issue" concealed weapons state.

As a "shall issue" state, county sheriffs can only deny concealed weapons permits for specific reasons like alcoholism, mental illness or past felony convictions.

Since then, concealed weapons permits have surged. According to the Iowa Department of Public Safety, in 2010, 40,747 Iowans got permits to carry a gun. Last year, the first year under shall issue, that number skyrocketed to 102,729 Iowans.
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Gun-Permits--177186501.html

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/i...-shall-issue-bil.aspx?s="Shall-Issue"&st=&ps=

ihcr100psd

Well... so far no problems with open carrying, no freakouts, etc. either. I appreciate everyone's advice and I will let you all know if I have any further negative experiences.

g21sfpistol

Banned
It's been nearly two years (3 yr now) since Iowa became a "shall issue" concealed weapons state.

As a "shall issue" state, county sheriffs can only deny concealed weapons permits for specific reasons like alcoholism, mental illness or past felony convictions.

Since then, concealed weapons permits have surged. According to the Iowa Department of Public Safety, in 2010, 40,747 Iowans got permits to carry a gun. Last year, the first year under shall issue, that number skyrocketed to 102,729 Iowans.
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Gun-Permits--177186501.html

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/i...-shall-issue-bil.aspx?s="Shall-Issue"&st=&ps=

and the cr population is like 250 000.